Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Remington 788 - 6mmBR Project

Remington 788 - 6mmBR Project - $750

I'm moving overseas (temporarily) so am clearing out a few toys.

I bought the rifle as a 22-250 but the barrel was very pitted so I started a bit of a project...... Had a 2nd hand stainless 6mm (10" twist) barrel (thanks Leathal) chambered in 6mmBR and fitted (thanks Walker) using a locking nut arrangement (could feasibly have additional barrels set-up for switch-barrel rifle). Barrel is ~19.5" long, light contour and threaded for suppressor (1/2" unf). Itís a light contour so there is a fairly large gap around it in the fore-end.

I've lightly sanded and re-sealed the original stock with 2-pot product called everdure.

Also included are:
    - Redding 2-die set
    - 100 Lapua brass (a couple have been used to set up dummy rounds with different projectiles)
    - 100 CCI BR4 primers
    - Small quantity of ADI BM2
    - 100 x Hornady VMAX 87gr projectiles
    - 100 x Sierra HPBT Gameking 85gr projectiles
    - Alloy rail

Has cost me (approximately) so far:
    Rifle 500
    Barrel + fitting 200
    Brass ~155
    Primers ~10
    Projectiles ~100
    Dies 60

Total $1000+

SCOPE/RINGS NOT INCLUDED

Photos show rifle with old blued barrel. Can arrange newer photos if interested.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Does it feed from the mag OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Does it shoot well?

Forgot to mention...

The replacement barrel was test fired after chambering/fitting, but no other load development has been done. I've loaded ~20 rounds with 87 VMAX (all included) but haven't had a chance to get to the range.

KiwiJames - Feeds ok from the mag - not the smoothest around and more to do with the case shape rather than mag issues. Longer projectiles (not really a problem as the 10" twist probably doesn't suit heavier than ~90gr) may not feed as well due to the tip striking the bottom edge of the rear of the barrel as it is about to enter the chamber - but this doesn't seem to be an issue with the 87 VMAX. The bottom of the bolt was binding a little on the next round in the mag (when trying to move the bolt reward), but I've fixed that by sanding the rear edge of the raceway/cut-out on the bottom of the bolt.

Scope optional extra:
    Kahles 3-9x40 - Older model Helia S (Reticule sides and bottom taper to thin cross - I believe it may be called 'varmint' reticule?). Body showing sings of wear but not dented. Glass surfaces look very good, and its very clear to look through. 26mm main tube, and I have 26mm parker hale rings for it. Reticule is in the first focal plane (apparent size of reticule changes as you adjust the optical zoom)