Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    1,322

    Remington short Magnum action

    Looking for a Remington model 700 Short Magnum action or complete rifle not bothered about cal as only want the action.


    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,367
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Looking for a Remington model 700 Short Magnum action or complete rifle not bothered about cal as only want the action.


    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If you find one make sure you check it actually HAS Primary Extraction.

    Of the 2 I brought new and converted to other calibres, both had very little and in fact none at all.

    Apparently its a common issue with their short magnum and long magnum actions ie WSMs and RUMs

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    If you find one make sure you check it actually HAS Primary Extraction.

    Of the 2 I brought new and converted to other calibres, both had very little and in fact none at all.

    Apparently its a common issue with their short magnum and long magnum actions ie WSMs and RUMs
    Is this why people fit a sako extractor?

    Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,480
    Is primary extraction not the gap between you bolt handle and your receiver during the initial caming action? If the gap is too big you struggle to extract the case slightly stuck to the chamber?

    Similar problem occurs if there is too big a gap between your bolt face and the extractor rear face. Here the correction can be the installation of a sako extractor set at the right depth.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    341
    Primary extraction shouldn't be a problem if you have a tapered case (eg 9 thou or more per inch) and you do not go silly on loads with the Remington extractor

    Other option buy a 308 bolt face and open it up and fit sako extractor

  6. #6
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Is primary extraction not the gap between you bolt handle and your receiver during the initial caming action? If the gap is too big you struggle to extract the case slightly stuck to the chamber?

    Similar problem occurs if there is too big a gap between your bolt face and the extractor rear face. Here the correction can be the installation of a sako extractor set at the right depth.
    yep, the first one, in both my cases.
    .

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Western BoP
    Posts
    2,275
    A shim on the handle to check the timing can verify this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,480
    Check it with the firing pin released ,not cocked .

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Remington 700 Short Action Magazine parts .308
    By josh86 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2016, 01:16 PM
  2. Rebarrelling a short action Remington
    By Woody in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 17-02-2015, 08:22 AM
  3. WTB - Short Action ADL Remington 700 stock
    By LJP in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-09-2013, 04:44 PM
  4. Remington 700 short action trued
    By tui_man2 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 07:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!