Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JustKiddin
  • 1 Post By JustKiddin
  • 2 Post By oxfarmer
  • 1 Post By The bomb
  • 1 Post By gonetropo

Thread: Rimfire scope

Rimfire scope

Looking for a rimfire scope to mount on my CZ452 American.
    Preferrably something not too bulky and easy to carry.
    Magnification in the 3-9x range would be ideal.
    AO or side focus would be an advantage.
    Budget is $400.

Minimum VX1 / Weaver Classic / Fullfield / Diamondback glass quality preferred.

Thanks.

I have nothing I want to move on just now but for what it's worth I have:

- LeupoldŽ VX-Freedom™ Rimfire 2-7x33mm that I used to replace an older Leupold M8 4x. The Freedom rimfire has plenty good enough glass for a .22 rifle, compact, good low magnfication range for when finding possums among the branches in a spotlight. It is meant to have a fixed 50 or 60 yard parallax but I find the parallax affect a bit to obvious when shooting in close. I'm being picky but if you want to hit a possum or rabbit in the head at 15-25m, you want to know the bullet will land inside a half inch or so. My rifle is up to it but if I don't take care to be as straight as possible behind it at close range, the shots can be off a bit. I tend to use low power at closer ranges to minimise the parallax effect.
    You can get these new for just over $400

- Hawke 3-9 by something that came on a rifle I bought. Much bigger objective lens with AO on it. Similar to what you will find on this page https://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/Hawke_Scopes.htm
    They are not well known in NZ but they are known elsewhere for their air rifle scopes. And making a scope work on an air rifle is as hard, or harder, than a magnum centrefire. I knew stuff all about it but I would rate this as the best .22 scope I have ever had. Glass is perhaps not quite as good as VX-freedom but I have never compared them side-by-side. I am just so impressed with the accuracy of the AO and zoom range that does not change POI. If shooting in close, I can wind the AO down to 15m or so and know exactly where the bullet is going to go. Regardless of what zoom range I have selected. Might be a bit bigger than what you wanted though. The rear sight was removed on the rifle it came with just to fit the larger objective lens in. Most of the scopes on that page linked above fit within your price range too... but do your homework before pulling out the credit card.

Cheers
    Synthetic likes this.

Well whaddya know... there is a VX-Freedom™ Rimfire 2-7x33mm for sale on big yella https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=...9-CB499D28CAAA
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKiddin View Post
    Well whaddya know... there is a VX-Freedom™ Rimfire 2-7x33mm for sale on big yella https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=...9-CB499D28CAAA
    Mind you, you can get a new one for $428 from outdoor supplies!

I have a vx2 2-7x33 gloss with only very faint ring marks to sell for $300. Just returned from Leupold warranty service. PM me if interested.
    Shearer and Synthetic like this.

Leupold compact m8 fixed 4x of any interest?
    Synthetic likes this.

i have a 4x32 shorty for sale c/w weaver type rings $80
    Synthetic likes this.