Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By dogmatix
  • 1 Post By jackson21

Thread: Roll pin punches

Roll pin punches

Keen on a set of roll pin punches and starter punches. Any recommendations?
    Something like these for a start.

Schuster AR-15 Roll Pin Starter Punch Set 2-Piece Steel

Can't be arsed paying horrendous freight out of the states for a couple of punches, so something in NZ perhaps? Or is it not that bad?

Whip down to bunnings or repco and buy a set of pin punches. Will probably cost you about $15 total

Yeah I have a set of pin punches, I was more after roll pin starter punches.

Snap-On PPR708BK

i just use my normal punches other wise snap on as above

This sort of thing in NZ. Snap on want over $200 for that set... I might also have told the local Snap On man to fuck off a while back for being a slippery prick

I've found Workshop Innovation have a set for a hundred buck, looks like me. Gunsmithing &Reloading Tools - Roll Pin Holder/Starter Set, Punches

I somehow always forget to check with him first, which is silly because he's bloody good
    veitnamcam and WallyR like this.

I can only remember about 2 times in my whole gun tinkering life where I had to extract a roll pin. On those occasions IIRC I used either my standard pin punch set or a drill bit of the correct size reversed and hammered. I would much rather stuff the tip of a drill bit with a hammer than spend a fortune on a set of dedicated roll pin punches that would hardly get used. Of course the OP's situation might be different where he is regularly smacking out roll pins.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I can only remember about 2 times in my whole gun tinkering life where I had to extract a roll pin. On those occasions IIRC I used either my standard pin punch set or a drill bit of the correct size reversed and hammered. I would much rather stuff the tip of a drill bit with a hammer than spend a fortune on a set of dedicated roll pin punches that would hardly get used. Of course the OP's situation might be different where he is regularly smacking out roll pins.
    Regular punches for pushing pins OUT I have, it's getting them in that's the fun part. ARs have lots and lots of pins

Tommy, Reloaders have the Wheeler combined roll pin starter/front pivot detent tool for $20.

Wheeler Delta Series AR15 Pivot Pin Install Tool - Gun Vices And Tools - Vices Tools Cleaning - Accessories - Reloaders Supplies Ltd
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Tommy, Reloaders have the Wheeler combined roll pin starter/front pivot detent tool for $20.

Wheeler Delta Series AR15 Pivot Pin Install Tool - Gun Vices And Tools - Vices Tools Cleaning - Accessories - Reloaders Supplies Ltd
    How sweet is that! Just need a 5/64 starter for the gas block and that's me sorted

Also helps to smooth the ends of the roll pin with some 1200 emery cloth and a bit of silicon grease to help it get going.

PS, don't forget to protect the side of the receiver with some duct tape when tapping in the bolt release roll pin, in case you slip with the hammer.
    Tommy likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Also helps to smooth the ends of the roll pin with some 1200 emery cloth and a bit of silicon grease to help it get going.
    Roger.

Had a browse on their site - they actually do quite a few neat AR tools for not that many new zealand pesos. Only a bit more expendy than Amazon, but the convenience is quite spiffing

Good engineer shops have roll pin punches, pays to nip the end going in first of roll pin with pliers, wee drop of gun oil and they go in nice with normal punch set
    Tommy likes this.