Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By mimms2
  • 2 Post By timattalon

Thread: Royal Enfield Himalayan adventure bike

Royal Enfield Himalayan adventure bike

I am thinking about replacing this reliable friend. It is set up for adventure riding and exploring, but that is not what I need it to do. I have a 40km commute each day to and from work (thats 320km per week..) and it feels wrong to clock up all those ks on a bike set for roads less travelled.

I am happy not to sell so if it does not find a new home I will be OK with that. I am looking to get a 4 cylinder sports bike of something different so am open to trade ins if need be.

2017 (carburettor model) Royal Enfield Himalayan .

Includes:

Genuine Royal Enfield Panniers (metal and made by Givi - Trekker)
    Large 52 litre Top box that will hold two helmets.
    3 (or 4 ) original Royal Enfiield Oil filters.
    It has after market Yamaha mirrors fitted, but will also include the original ones.

Asking $6500 for the lot. New the 2020 model is $7500, and the luggage will run to around $1200 and there is $200 of oil filters there too so I think $6500 is a fair price.

30,000 km.

420cc but dont let that fool you into thinking it has power....it will sit at 80km all day and while it will reach 100km to 110km for short periods, it will tell you that it does not like to do this. Speed is not what these are about.....

15 litre tank that will get you about 370km between stops. It hits reserve at about 240-250km depending on how you ride. There is NO excuse for running out of gas on this bike. It has a reserve that is 1/3 of its tank capacity, it has a fuel gauge that is accurate enough to put most car gauges to shame AND it has an F odometer. It has the usual A and B trip meters that you reset, and each one will tell you average speed for that distance. As soon as you hit reserve, however, it switches to the F (fuel) meter and starts at 0km and tells you exactly how far you have travelled since hitting reserve. This meter resets itself as soon as you fill the bike and start to ride. (Very handy, I wish every bike had this....)
    Dash board also has

A compass so you always know where north is and what way you are facing.

A clock

Temperature gauge (in case you dont know how hot it is outside ....)

Gear indicator.

The frame around the headlight is steel and even has threaded holes under the "royal Enfield" logo to fit accessories.

Comfortable riding position .

I have blanked out two letters on the rego. But if you have any questions, please PM or ask on here.

Name:  IMG20201205130914.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  4.92 MB
    Name:  IMG20201205130923a.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  4.84 MB
    Name:  IMG20201205130934.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  5.07 MB
    Name:  IMG20201205130950.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  6.11 MB
    Name:  IMG20201205131003.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  4.16 MB
    Name:  IMG20201205131037.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  3.18 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Apparently when you delete a photo from the list , it gets moved to the bottom. Oh well, I am not trying to hide anything so rego is clearly visible....

Looks like a great off road bike.
    I like the upright riding position too
    Handy looking panniers, they give side protection too if ya lay it down

shame they cant cruise comfortably at 100km/h as it would be a nice bike to ride to work ( 60km round trip ).

I hunt, therefore I am.
    Get another sprocket to gear it up for road speeds?
    Finnwolf likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Looks like a great off road bike.
    I like the upright riding position too
    Handy looking panniers, they give side protection too if ya lay it down
    @rugerman Even without the panniers, the racks that hold them are steel tube style and afford similar protection for the bike and rider. Parts are relatively inexpensive to source replacements for, meaning it is a great learners bike too. Upright with good vision and control, robust and reliable...apart from being slow, whats not to like....?

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Get another sprocket to gear it up for road speeds?
    @mimms that was my first thought too, but 1st is already tall enough and making it taller would not help. It is not the gearing that is the issue, but, I think, the lack of power and the pressure that puts on the clutch. Redline would be hit at around 120km and while it may do those speeds briefly, it is the strain in the engine and drive train the really mandates the lower speed. The newer injected ones may be more able to do the faster speed, but there is rumours of the 650cc version still to come (but that has been a rumour for about 3 years.....so my hops are not great)

Either way, that is not what these bikes are for. If you want to travel for long periods at 100km then other bikes will do that better. These bikes are really made for the sorts of roads that those speeds are not possible.....
    rugerman and mimms2 like this.