Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Ruger 10/22 (gasp)

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    A bad 10/22 is a experience in an inaccurate and jamming piece of shit that can nearly put you off Rugers for life.

A good one is an experience in accuracy, faultless operation and total reliability .

Get the latter.
    Bad rugers don’t happen often

Ive owned maybe 20 or more in my 17 years shooting
    From the cheap of cheap to full custom “only ruger part is the mag” models rangeing it cost from $300-2500

Ive never had one that hasn’t just flat out worked yes ive had accuracy issues which are generally down to a 10lb trigger pull lol
    But if we are talking about Reliability generally 2 things if it’s jamming
    1 the rifle needs cleaning as I said it my earlier post a clean action and chamber is the main ingredient of semi auto Reliability rimfire centerfire alike
    Lack of care is not the rifles Fault I had that the other day actually with a farmer mate
    He said he needed a 10/22 rifle cos his Doesn’t work any more I cleaned it fully
    And it’s like new functionality wise

2 the mag is Tired the 10/22 mags are fantastic but they do get old and spring gets weak
    From my experience this is the number one Culprit of a malfunctioning 10/22 besides cleanliness
    Use a Different mag and your all go again

A fulty or old mag is not the rifles Fault ether

Im not saying that bad rifles don’t come along but it’s quite rare ive never seen nor heard of a truly bad rifle ie one that couldn’t be fixed with basic tools and 10 minutes work or at worst a new mag I have had a couple of new rifles that come with mags which were Faulty
    Or should i say some very lightly used new rifles lol
    H
    rugerman likes this.

and dont use remington ammo, its filthy burning stuff !

I have a 50th anniversary edition 10/22 I may be willing to part with. Has a hush power suppressor and Tasco scope weaver rings. Excellent condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsenabout View Post
    Any tips on how to ensure the latter is achieved? Is their a run of these to avoid?
    There was a bad run of them in the 80s I think, accuracy was unbelievably bad ( a mate had one ) . Apparently the fault was with the machine that reamed and rifled the barrels .
    It had a problem and by the time it was picked up the rifles were out in circulation .
    I understand the later ones have improved a lot.
    I brought a new one and had a very talented gunsmith who did a lot of the rabbit board ones tweak mine.... it shoots very well. From memory it shot a 6 mm group at 50 mtrs ( total fluke for my shit shooting ) but it's a machine on rabbits.
    Good luck.

I brought my first 10/22 about 6 months ago , just after getting my FAL.
    Love it , have done minor mods myself but getting an armourer at work to do the rest.
    My reliable bunnny gun , prefer it over my marlin 22 mag , which stops em dead but is a bit loud even with a DBT supressor on.
    Patience Is A Virtue

I have used a 10/23 for 30 years.
    My latest version is the competition model.
    Well worth the extra dollars.
    All the normal mods from factory plus more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 10/22 50th Anniversary model (a real one, not just a 2014 10/22), from a real good bugger on this board. Still need to do something about the trigger one day. but love using it as a daily bunny gun. Only thing I have noticed is that it doesnt like the heat and have the occasional extractor issue when over about 30 degrees. But then that could well be because of the subbies.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope you get a good one.
    viper likes this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by EFriz View Post
    I have a 50th anniversary edition 10/22 I may be willing to part with. Has a hush power suppressor and Tasco scope weaver rings. Excellent condition.
    Can you pm me with some details please mate

Quote Originally Posted by Horsenabout View Post
    Can you pm me with some details please mate
    Essentially
    Based on the original 10/22® rifle, this model features the ergonomic, lightweight black composite stock and the Ruger® Modular Stock System from the Ruger American Rimfire™ rifle. It also includes a protected, non-glare post front sight, ghost ring adjustable rear aperture sight, and Picatinny rail from the popular Gunsite Scout Rifle. The special edition rifle is rounded out with a precision-rifled, cold hammer-forged, stainless steel barrel, which is capped with a blued alloy steel SR-556®/Mini-14®-style, 1/2''-28 thread flash suppressor.
    So it is a bit of a hybrid - Ruger 10/22 in a Ruger American body. I already had a Ruger American .17HMR and liked it, so when I saw this, jumped on it. It already had a factory rail, it was already threaded ready for a silencer, and it had sling mounts. So money was saved not having to do those things.

It isnt to everyones taste and Im not saying it is better than any other, it just works for me, thats all.

50th Model
    Name:  ruger.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  33.9 KB

Standard 10/22
    Name:  ruger4.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  11.3 KB

In 2014 they also bought out a load of 10/22s with 50th or 50 years on them as it was their 50th year, but they arent the anniversary model, but I have seen a few people try and sell them as the anniversary model - just to be aware.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Not trying to cut anyone's grass here but I would be keen on one also once our man is sorted would prefer southland area.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Not trying to cut anyone's grass here but I would be keen on one also once our man is sorted would prefer southland area.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Hey mate, happy to share the love. I've been offered a couple from chch/Canterbury that may work better for you than me
    Cartman likes this.

We're going to Chch for a long ANZAC w/e - happy to bring "things" back . . .

And 10/22's sure can shoot - pic is of a 10 shoot group @100M fired is a recent match with Eley "Club" ammo. Its a old "Target" model 10/22 that is bedded in a Magpul stock, and has a Kidd trigger but Ruger receiver, bolt and barrel. And for those who think you "need" a high magnification scope to win matches - I've won a couple now and placed in others with the Sightron 2.5-10X on this rifle.

Name:  20210415_201015[1].jpg
Views: 124
Size:  4.47 MB
    viper, berg243 and Dago like this.

The only tools needed to modify the 10/22 bolt release to make it an auto release when you pull back the charging handle and let go , is a screwdriver/Allen key to take the gun from the stock and pop the pins out, a little bit of knowledge and a small round file that can be bought at any hardware store for a few dollars.
    just have take this bit out of the trigger assembly, file off the notch and round out the hole in the right way. An easy job for those willing to tackle it, plenty of replacement options also available pre made too..
    Name:  20210417_092301.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  2.08 MB

i Grew up hearing from several shooters about the reliability of the 10/22's. They were always accurate enough for the job and the 10 shot rotary magazine was the bomb. Didnt stick out and as reliable as the sun rising.
    later model ones with the plastic trigger need some work usually but the ones in the middle of the faulty run were meant to be way better.

Cheers for all the offers and info everyone. Have found one locally, looking forward to getting out for a test.
    Mintie and Mr Browning like this.