Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Ruger .17HMR/.17m2/.22 barrels, trigger guard, mag, ammo

Decided to break up my Ruger 77/17 switch-barrel (.22, .17m2, ,17hmr) setup and reconfigure it as a dedicated short barrel suppressed .22 for the kids (and myself) to use. Therefore, for sale:

NOTE 1: All barrels should be a drop in fit for the Ruger 77/17 or 77/22, as long as you've got one with the slip fit barrel and not the later (after 2010) threaded barrel. Headspace should be checked before use (easy with calipers and a set of feeler gauges), and can be adjusted with shim washers if necessary. Happy to assist or talk anyone through this.

NOTE 2: You'll note the barrels are all shown with a pin fitted to the vee-notch. This is to suit the flat-faced vee-block I was using (modelled on the 'gunsmither' aftermarket vee block. The pins are only lightly loctited in place and I can take them off if you like so a standard vee block can be used, or you can have my flat-face vee block instead for $10.

NOTE 3: I believe these barrels can also be fitted to a 10/22 with use of a spacer on the barrel shank -google has plenty of info of this - but I'm not recommending it for the .17 barrels unless you know exactly what you're doing.

NOTE 4: All prices include shipping except for ammo. I can also do limited bore-scope photos if anyone needs to see these. To state the obvious; action, scope and stock where shown are not included in sale.

Custom .17hmr mid-weight barrel ($500) - top in photo:
    This was an expensive barrel - cost me well over $1000. It's a chrome-moly blank from True Flite fitted with a .17 liner. Length 20", tapered medium-weight contour (16mm at the muzzle). Really nice balance to it - gives a little more heft at the front than the standard sporter barrel but much lighter than a full bull barrel or Ruger varmint taper.This was originally chambered in .17m2 and I later had it rechambered to .17HMR, so if you look closely you'll see the calibre engraving has been reworked. All work by Dean Maisey. Perfect condition inside and out, less than a brick of ammo through it.

I took this out to shoot a couple of example groups for this listing. Hardly any wind when I got to the range, and it put two bullet holes touching at 50m. 2 clicks left, 3 clicks up and it put the next 2 touching as well (see photo below). Murphy's Law though, by the time I got some 100m targets out the wind had picked up - I shot 3 5 shot groups and you can see the results below - definitely not as good as it's actually capable of. If it really matters to a prospective purchaser I can mount up a higher magnification scope, wait for a calmer day and post another set. Target squares below are 1/2". And I was aiming for the centre of the "D" on the wine box

Factory .17m2 sporter barrel ($80)
    - middle in photo
    This is the original .17m2 barrel, but setback slightly and re-reamed to tighten up the chamber dimensions. I reckon this should be quite a good barrel - it shot some good groups on occasion but I replaced it with the above custom barrel before realising I was getting accuracy issues from the action instead. Maybe 3-4 bricks down it, a few minor marks in the bluing down the breech end. Could be left as a .17m2 or rechambered as a .17HMR if you prefer.

Factory .22lr sporter barrel ($80) - bottom in photo
    Factory take-off barrel - I don't know the history for sure but I reckon it was unfired when I got it, which means it wouldn't have seen more than a couple of boxes of .22 in total. I took it to the 25m range and fired a 5-shot group with each of 3 different ammo's for this listing - I've seen worse but it doesn't look like this one will be a target barrel, unless there's some other particular ammo it likes? I re-crowned this one and faced the breech end so that a chambered bullet is lightly engraved by the rifling.

Magnum-length trigger guard/bottom metal ($80)
    This is an OEM drop-in replacement for the standard-length .22lr or .17m2 Ruger 77/22 or 77/17 bottom metal to allow use of .22WMR/.17HMR magazines. Blued finish, unmarked. PM me if you want this by itself, but preference will go to someone wanting both this and the .17HMR barrel together. If no-one takes both together after a few days I'll split them and it'll go to whoever asked first.

Ruger .17HMR/.22WMR magazine ($50)
    Standard factory, 9rd capacity. Perfect condition, very little use.

.17m2 ammo ($20 for the lot, pick up only)
    Found a few odds and ends in the back of the safe after I thought I'd got rid of it all, there's:
    • 137 rounds Eley V-max
    • 50 rounds CCI V-max (blue box)
    • 37 rounds CCI V-max (orange box
    • 11 rounds Federal Premium V-Shok

Happy to answer questions.

Bump. Barrels would fit a 96/22 as well, using a small spacer.

.17m2 barrel, .22 barrel, magazine, ammo and vee block SPF.

.17hmr barrel and bottom metal still available.

.17HMR barrel and bottom metal still available. I did get the chance to shoot another couple of groups on a calmer morning - 95m range and same ammo as previously but this is a bit more representative of what it'll do. I can't really hold better than that with my rest setup anyway.

Barrel reduced to $475 to your door. Bottom metal $75 to your door. If not much interest at those prices I'll likely keep them or wait for Trademe to offer one of their discounts on success fees.

[img][/img] [img][/img]

Bump.