Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: S/S Howa 7mm08

S/S Howa 7mm08

Name:  IMG_3599.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  1.23 MBName:  IMG_3597.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  2.35 MBBought second hand off the original owner for my sister - honestly it's not mine. Seems to have a defect in the barrel as it won't group with certain ammo. Doesn't like SSTs. Did get a 1.5" 6 shot group at 100 with Rem Corelokt so it does still shoot adequately. Maybe some heavier pills would work better still. Had a gunsmith put the borescope down the barrel and the first couple inches or so from the chamber has a machine mark following the rifling that thins out to nothing. Bore and rifling itself is clean and has maybe had 80 rounds through it. Comes with a Nikko Stirling Panamax 3-9x40 and leather sling. Has been threaded for M14x1 but not a tidy looking job. Barrel looks about 20". Good for a bush rifle or rebarrel project down the line. Rest of the rifle is pretty tidy.
    $500
    Last edited by Snowgrass; 19-05-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Pretty good to see your honesty on this rather than playing dumb and throwing it on trademe.

Hey mate, don't give up on the rifle yet! A mate had the same problem with his and the shop got the agent on the line to ask about it, turns out about 20 or so bad barrels came into the country from a batch that went wrong, exactly the machine mark you're describing. If its one of these rifles the agent will replace your rifle for a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Gun nut View Post
    Hey mate, don't give up on the rifle yet! A mate had the same problem with his and the shop got the agent on the line to ask about it, turns out about 20 or so bad barrels came into the country from a batch that went wrong, exactly the machine mark you're describing. If its one of these rifles the agent will replace your rifle for a new one
    Cheers mate, I've just sent Cameron Sports an email so will see what happens.
    Sarvo and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgrass View Post
    Cheers mate, I've just sent Cameron Sports an email so will see what happens.
    Let us know how it goes, may help someone else out struggling to get their howa to group.
    Sarvo likes this.

A mates having similar issues, but in .308. Just a 7mm thing or wider problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    A mates having similar issues, but in .308. Just a 7mm thing or wider problem?
    My mate with the problem had one in 6.5x55swede, the agents were really good about it, they knew about the bad batch and straight swapped the rifle that day.
    7x64 and dannyb like this.

Rifle was sold new 5 years ago apparently so they don't really want to know about it.
    $450

Is it a houge stock?
    They have allot to Answer for
    Never seen one shoot good without modifying the stock to stiffen it up
    My mate has a ranch land which shot shit he’s modified the stock and now shoots sub half moa with handloads
    My howa with standard synthetic stock did that from the box
    Second group ever while developing handloads was 0.334”

Don’t give up on it mate they shoot better than most other rifles when you get them going

Lol I've never seen one that won't shoot and I've owned several myself and thats factory ammo included.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Spudattack and madmaori like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Is it a houge stock?
    They have allot to Answer for
    Never seen one shoot good without modifying the stock to stiffen it up
    My mate has a ranch land which shot shit he’s modified the stock and now shoots sub half moa with handloads
    My howa with standard synthetic stock did that from the box
    Second group ever while developing handloads was 0.334”

Don’t give up on it mate they shoot better than most other rifles when you get them going
    My Howa 308's got a hogue stock, shoots Rem Coreloct cloverleafs fine so long as you don't use a bipod, but it is fussy on ammo brands.
    My 30 06 in a Boyds stock shoots pretty much the same and a bit less fussy on ammo.
    Howa'a are bloody good for the price and the Hogue's are ok for general use. I can't see the point trying to make a value hunting rifle shoot benchrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgrass View Post
    Attachment 87884Attachment 87883Bought second hand off the original owner for my sister - honestly it's not mine. Seems to have a defect in the barrel as it won't group with certain ammo. Doesn't like SSTs. Did get a 1.5" 6 shot group at 100 with Rem Corelokt so it does still shoot adequately. Maybe some heavier pills would work better still. Had a gunsmith put the borescope down the barrel and the first couple inches or so from the chamber has a machine mark following the rifling that thins out to nothing. Bore and rifling itself is clean and has maybe had 80 rounds through it. Comes with a Nikko Stirling Panamax 3-9x40 and leather sling. Has been threaded for M14x1 but not a tidy looking job. Barrel looks about 20". Good for a bush rifle or rebarrel project down the line. Rest of the rifle is pretty tidy.
    $500
    My 308' fussy as with ammo and a 1.5" 6 shot group at a 100 is pretty good for a light barreled rifle.
    Check and locktite your action screws and get rid of the package deal rings and mounts. Just shoot what it likes.
    My 308 is stainless and hates superformance but my 30 06 is blued and shoots it really well, maybe stainless Howa's and superformance just ain't meant to be

Barrel profile has little to do with accuracy potential.

dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Barrel profile has little to do with accuracy potential.

That depends on how long you want to wait between shots.
    Maybe I'll try 5 minutes between shots instead of rapid independent next time...... nah life's too short

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Have a Howa that was a .270 and shot well and have had previous Howas and they were never inconsistent so it threw me a bit. Already have another bush rifle too so not too worried about keeping this one. Have swapped rings and scope etc to check if that was the issue but still had the same result. As I say it still shoots adequately but seeing I know there's an issue with the bore, whether it effects it or not, I don't expect full price for it.
    Steve123 likes this.