Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Savage 99 308 bush pig

Savage 99 308 bush pig

Savage 99 in 308, Barrel has been shortened and threaded at some point and has been fitted with a DPT suppressor. This rifle has beautiful patina to show its age with some blueing has worn smooth in some spots - it has been used as a hunting rig and taken more than its fair share of animals! The woodwork shows some marks but it in good shape and has a beautiful colour. The action runs smooth, there is a bit of pitting at the muzzle end of the barrel but as the photos show it groups factory 150gr PPU soft points just over the size of a 50c coin at 100m - very respectable for a bush pig!

I have this setup to shoot 180gr hand cast subsonic loads which are very quiet with the large DPT suppressor on it. If picked up in person it will come with about 30 hand loaded subsonic rounds and I think I still have a box of the PPU factory 150gr rounds that it likes. I will also throw in a large number of projectiles and cases I have here along with the RCBS dies for loading them.

This rifle comes with the Simmons 3-9x40 scope (set up for Sub loads at 80m), the suppressor and the above mentioned loading gear, no sling or bipod is included.

This is on trademe with a reserve of $750 here - https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1828467927

Name:  20160815_205100.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  322.9 KB

Name:  20160816_131656.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  593.1 KB

Name:  20160816_131713.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  1.08 MB

Name:  20180513_161524.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  878.1 KB

Name:  20180513_164853.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  1.52 MB

Name:  20180911_154513.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  132.7 KB
    gadgetman, GravelBen, Gibo and 2 others like this.

Interesting, I had this rifle “built” about three or four years ago. Had a Burris Fullfield II on it when I sold it. The barrel is 13” and was shortened and threaded by Alan Carr, as DPT couldn’t fit the action in their lathe.
    More meplat, more better.

Not my thing, but if I was a dedicated bush hobbit or mad pig hunter, that Savage would be just dandy!

How's the first blast chamber holding up

I am looking for a 99 preferably in 25 or 30 savage. Thats a very nice looking piece except (and this is only my opinion) for the butchery inflicted on the barrel 13 inches what were you thinking!
    GSP HUNTER, Mintie and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    Interesting, I had this rifle “built” about three or four years ago. Had a Burris Fullfield II on it when I sold it. The barrel is 13” and was shortened and threaded by Alan Carr, as DPT couldn’t fit the action in their lathe.
    Cool to hear some of its history! I purchased it on trademe almost 3 years ago from a guy in Pokeno.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I am looking for a 99 preferably in 25 or 30 savage. Thats a very nice looking piece except (and this is only my opinion) for the butchery inflicted on the barrel 13 inches what were you thinking!
    I like its length, Have been out in thick bush with it many times where my friends are struggling to keep up with me sliding through the tight gaps. Could easily be re-barreled to something more original for a collector tho.

Quote Originally Posted by FatLabrador View Post
    How's the first blast chamber holding up
    A little worn from memory, Will get it out and have a look tonight. I mainly ran subs through it so it hasn't had a hard time

Hope you don’t mind me sticking my oar in here Mintie. The first baffle isn’t SS, or at least wasn’t when I owned it. It was done before Darren made them I think. Yes, the barrel is short, because I liked the look of the suppressor touching the fore end. I was loading 43gr of 2206H behind a 180gr RN for 2400 FPS from memory.
    The firing pin and spring were replaced with new parts from Numrich before I sold it too, as I had a misfire while pointing shooting at a goat and then twice while aiming at a fallow. Fired perfectly after that. Tame to shoot, although I was never keen to pull the trigger without the suppressor on.
    viper and Mintie like this.

As much as I think its a little sacrilegious to one of my favourite rifles (yet to own one though) I do like it.
    Especially when there are a few of the 308s around and they have been rebarreled or are close to being due.
    If it was a 250-3000 or 22 hi-power takedown, we'd have words.
    If I had the money id buy it.

They are cool rifles, decades ahead of their time and one of very few lever actions I'd be tempted to buy.

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    So what's the price on here?
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

A bit like the Matador its hard to put a price on this, @tanqueray has obviously spent some money setting it up and I paid what the reserve price is for it without the scope, dies, ammo, brass and projectiles it comes with. Would anyone like to suggest what a good price would be for this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    A bit like the Matador its hard to put a price on this, @tanqueray has obviously spent some money setting it up and I paid what the reserve price is for it without the scope, dies, ammo, brass and projectiles it comes with. Would anyone like to suggest what a good price would be for this setup?
    Unfortunately on this site you have to decide the price so basically your bottom dollar:what you are willing to let it go at...yeah I know no help..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your price is about right. I sold it for either $1150 or $1100 but with a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x33 on it, which would be about $400 new. Hold your price, it’ll sell. It’s a primo bush pig, I only sold as my tastes turned a bit more traditional.