Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quadhunter260

Thread: Sell or Swap: Winchester 296 powder 1lb

Sell or Swap: Winchester 296 powder 1lb

A bit overstocked on Winchester 296 powder 1lb.
    Sell for $60 each or swap for Hodgdon Lil Gun, ADI 2205 or ADI 2207.

Pickup preferred as no longer legal to post/courier. Could arrange to meet anywhere between Huntly and Auckland
    Every time something really bad happens people cry out for safety and the government answers by taking rights away from good people.
    The solution to preventing acts of terror and violence by bad or deranged people is not to disarm good and rational people.

wrong friggin island again.

W296 is pretty much equivalent to 2205?

CITY BORN COUNTRY RAISED WHEELIN REBEL quadhunter260's Avatar
    @duckdog pm sent
    duckdog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by physeptone View Post
    W296 is pretty much equivalent to 2205?
    Yes it is similar but it's quite limited in 22 Hornet where 2205 has more flexibility (in projectile weight range)
    Every time something really bad happens people cry out for safety and the government answers by taking rights away from good people.
    The solution to preventing acts of terror and violence by bad or deranged people is not to disarm good and rational people.

Quote Originally Posted by duckdog View Post
    Yes it is similar but it's quite limited in 22 Hornet where 2205 has more flexibility (in projectile weight range)
    Winchester 296 is an interesting powder, very fine and accurate to meter but seems to leak out of every powder dropper I've tried it in except my new Lee Perfect Deluxe which I highly recommend. It's a go-to powder for .410 bore and .357 magnum etc amongst others. I'm about to try it in 22 Hornet so interested in that comment thks. It's a powder that is entirely unsafe to download. Min charge is indeed min. Belmont sell it as Belmont Magnum Pistol Powder. Small print on label notes it as WCF 296. My last two 500g jars were $42 each about a year or two ago on sale from Belmont plus shipping back when you could still courier the stuff. Reloader Supplies in Auck. used to run it out the door around the $50 mark. Not sure of current pricing but it has been one of the cheaper powders around for some time. I first came across it in a lovely old Winchester cardboard and tin jar about 2/3rds full, prob from the 60s or 70s. Despite its age it shot very consistently. The same load data as currently available but interesting that the current powder is somewhat finer and much more silver in colour. So perhaps the recipe has changed/improved. Anyway, a very useful powder but not always popular.

So just checked RS online price for Belmont Magnum Pistol Powder, aka W 296, they have it in-store at $49.

Evidently Win296 is the exact same powder as H110, not similar but the same powder in a different labeled can !

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    So just checked RS online price for Belmont Magnum Pistol Powder, aka W 296, they have it in-store at $49.
    I checked Win 296 prices online before listing this. Gunworks $69, Reloaders Supplies $69, Gun City $74.99, Serious Shooters $79.99
    If the Belmont powder is genuine 296, at that price its virtually the same as the wholesale price for branded Winchester 296.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Winchester 296 is an interesting powder, very fine and accurate to meter but seems to leak out of every powder dropper I've tried it in except my new Lee Perfect Deluxe which I highly recommend. It's a go-to powder for .410 bore and .357 magnum etc amongst others. I'm about to try it in 22 Hornet so interested in that comment thks.
    As for metering it, I have run hundreds of charges of its big brother W760 (I love ball powder) thru my Chargemaster without problems. 296 appears a lot finer than 760.
    Within a short period of time when metering 296 my Chargemaster dispensing tube started rotating slower and slower. I had to strip it down and found fine powder dust had worked its way down beside the tube. Continued to use 296 for a while using my old beam balance but have now stopped using it due to average accuracy results. Have yet to find anything better than VV N110 in my Hornets.

Of course YMMV with 296.

296 also meters well through the little cheap lee perfect thrower (the cheapest you can buy). Ive found this thrower amazing

My experience with 2205 and 296 is that they are effectively interchangeable (296 might be reduced by .2 of a grain to get the same velocity as 2205). Both were go to powder for our loverly “ little carbines” (back when we were allowed to shoot them).

Man I sure miss mine more than any black gun...Cultural vandalisim that these were chopped as many were bring backs/“acquired” during and soon after the war.