Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Sending and receiving firearms

Thanks for all the info guys, getting it all sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post

Gunworks ChCh charges a flat fee of $65 (unless you get some sort of 'mates rates' like @dannyb must be getting). They also require the bolt to be sent separately.
    Special mates rates ??? How do you figure I said it was about $70 plus sending the bolt seperate
    timattalon likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

MSL
    Personally I think the whole sending and receiving of firearms is a mess, with different rates and no actual law to state the firearm has to go via dealers. But no courier company will deal with them any other way if they know it is a firearm.

Gunworks ChCh charges a flat fee of $65 (unless you get some sort of 'mates rates' like @dannyb must be getting). They also require the bolt to be sent separately.

Shooters Supplies ChCh charge a flat fee of $45 if you deal with Andy, and if he gives you 'mates rates' he will charge $35. But if you deal with Carl he will charge $55. Bolt can be in the same package as a firearm as they use Toll couriers. I recommend Shooters Supplies as they are cheapest with Andy and packaging is included in the fee.

Hunting & Fishing ChCh will charge a flat fee of $60 to send but no receiving fee. But they only send to other H&F stores and the receiving store might charge you a $20 pickup fee (they don't offer 'mates rates' as H&F don't have any mates...)
    dannyb and I sometimes use the same delivery service, and it is damn cheap and easy, gotta be in the club though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    dannyb and I sometimes use the same delivery service, and it is damn cheap and easy, gotta be in the club though
    If it's the 'Gunworks club' delivery service then it's not cheap - $65 + extra for bolt + extra for packaging.
    Shooters Supplies with Andy only costs $45 with packaging and bolt. I know which one I would (and do) use.

If it's the 'Gunworks club' delivery service then it's not cheap - $65 + extra for bolt + extra for packaging.
    Shooters Supplies with Andy only costs $45 with packaging and bolt. I know which one I would (and do) use.
    He's not talking about the "Gunworks club" there's no such thing he is illuding to the "forum courier" , to be honest I'm happy to pay an extra $20 through gunworks for a few reasons, it's convenient I drive past every day, pretty much everything else I buy from them is cheaper than anywhere else, there service is great. I never ask for a discount if I pay more which is almost never the service more than makes up for it.
    Hey I'm sure shooters are great too they just aren't as convenient for me and I haven't had any experience with them.
    Trust goes a long way when your dealing with these things.
    timattalon and zarathustra like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    He's not talking about the "Gunworks club" there's no such thing he is illuding to the "forum courier" , to be honest I'm happy to pay an extra $20 through gunworks for a few reasons, it's convenient I drive past every day, pretty much everything else I buy from them is cheaper than anywhere else, there service is great. I never ask for a discount if I pay more which is almost never the service more than makes up for it.
    Hey I'm sure shooters are great too they just aren't as convenient for me and I haven't had any experience with them.
    Trust goes a long way when your dealing with these things.
    I have dealt with both, and what @dannyb states above describes Gunworks well- They are great to deal with. Shooters Supplies has been around a long time and I have also dealt with them. They are also another good local outfit worth supporting. I think they have changed hands again, but I understand Andy is still there, and he knows his stuff...

On a humourous note, I was cleaning up my fathers things after he passed away and I found a Shooters Supplies sales catalogue from the 80s in almost unread condition. I popped into to see Andy and gave it to him as a piece of memorabilia / history from the shop. As he scanned through the pages of rifles for sale, he started to look ....quiet. When I asked what was wrong, he commented that " I think I still have some of these rifles in stock....." Now considering the book was dated early 80s and this was about 4 years ago now.........at least you know the rifles wont be worn out....
    dannyb likes this.

Link to list of dealers if that helps.
    Charging to pick up seems a bit naff, for the dealer who is potentially gaining or exposing their tasty products to a new customer who walks in to pick up there rifle........ Would you like some ammo to go with that?

https://www.gunworks.co.nz/dealer-to...0your%20behalf.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=zarathustra;1064060]Personally I think the whole sending and receiving of firearms is a mess, with different rates and no actual law to state the firearm has to go via dealers. But no courier company will deal with them any other way if they know it is a firearm.

We purchased a trap gun from Gun City Wellington and was sent to Gun City Christchurch free of charge. It was done as an internal stock transfer, so it also avoided the need to obtain the Police mail order documents. We only had to produce a firearms licence when we collected.

I think this only works when your purchase the firearm from a Gun City store.

I just returned from dropping off a firearm to Shooters Supplies for shipment to Auckland. Despite receiving quotes from them over the phone of $65 and $45 when I took the firearm into the shop I was only charged $35 and they packed it. As it was a pump gun there was no mention of sending bolt separately. I dealt with Andy there who was very friendly and helpful. I will certainly be buying my ammo and other
    things there in the future. The other pleasant surprise to me was the police mail order permit only took a day and a half to arrive. All in all much more straight forward process than I had expected.
    tetawa, dannyb and zarathustra like this.

I only have H & F where I am, They quoted me a $40 handling fee today to send a rifle to a smith. ( Threads on scope mounts shot)
    So probably not unreasonable.
    Z

OK was charged $50 include freight by H & F.
    Z
    dannyb likes this.