Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Service rifle

Service rifle

Hi guys,

I'm looking at joining our local service rifle club so am on the look out for a suitable rifle. Keen on anything ww2 era American, British or German. Must have numbers matching bolt and receiver.

Flick me a PM if you have something you are wanting to move on.

Much appreciated, Magnus

You will probably find that a WWII era rifle is not what you want to shoot SR.....
    They aren't commonly shot in this discipline (except maybe the annual 'bolt action match' up here, but that is once a year).
    Even if you want to shoot such a rifle you will not be competitive and be competing only with yourself if you class by rifle type.
    Consider E-cat AR rifle first

Thanks for that. Yes I already have an AR-15 but am wanting something with a bit more historic value then my AR.

I'd suggest a Swedish mauser. Plenty around, still affordable, generally in very good nick if unsportered, ammo and components easily avail, as accurate as anyone shooting them. No other ww2 era rifle will do all of the above *sits back and waits*
    northdude, Woody, WallyR and 2 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

AR would be accurate for some Matches. If you are joining WSRA, then you would want to get a Lee enfield 303 No.4 fullwood. Lots of matches to do. Anzac Day shoot. 303 day shoot. Armistice day shoot.
    Hunter_killer likes this.

Lee308 yeah want to join the WSRA, been up to the range a couple times now and watched their shoots, looks like a bunch of fun. Definitely keen on British 303 just having trouble acquiring a decent unmolested one.
    Hunter_killer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Lee308 yeah want to join the WSRA, been up to the range a couple times now and watched their shoots, looks like a bunch of fun. Definitely keen on British 303 just having trouble acquiring a decent unmolested one.
    There are a couple of nicer ones on TM for not unreasonable money. WSRA has some very knowledgeable people when it comes to LE stuff, turn up, participate, and one might help you find a decent deal.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

There’s a nice Ishapore .308 SMLE on trademe currently.
    More meplat, more better.

You are right Tommy. I’ve been a member of WSRA for a couple of years. Good bunch of guys and rich knowledge from LE303 to long range. Might be a chance of buying a good one from another member of you are in the email list.

Damn, still remember when my Dad had an Enfield that was fully done up in Maori carvings. Still shot pretty well as well, hell of a kick (when I was a kid) one of those I wish he never sold it moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get a SMLE as its open iron sights suck. Unless you are under 30 years age of course.

The No. 4 has closed iron sights is THE Lee Enfield to go with, but sadly ugly compared to the SMLE.

If you want something with open iron sights shootable by even some with poorer eye sight (longsightedness, needing reading glasses) get an Arisaka in better condition from GC. Its long sight radius with its barleycorn sights are a winner, trigger is heavy but crisp. The 6.5mm T38 is a pleasure to shoot and not underpowered at normal hunting ranges (2x muzzle power of 5.56NATO, with cautious factory loads). Accepts 6.5x55 Scandinavian stripper clips and uses same 6.7mm bullets as 6.5 Scandinavian. No milsurp ammo around, have to reload. Not for everyone.
    Time is running out. Sign the COLFO 2nd tranche petition HERE.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by lee308 View Post
    AR would be accurate for some Matches. If you are joining WSRA, then you would want to get a Lee enfield 303 No.4 fullwood. Lots of matches to do. Anzac Day shoot. 303 day shoot. Armistice day shoot.
    Copied this from the 2018 Armistice Day COF...

SERVICE CLASS
    Rifle as issued and used in WWI prior to 1919. eg. SMLE, Long Tom, P14, M17, 03 Springfield, Long 91/30 Nagant, Long ’98 Mauser, Berthier.

OPEN CLASS
    Other rifles with iron sights only including sporterised versions. eg. No.4, .303. FR8, Nagant carbine etc
    NO optics or Semi-auto’s.

So a No 4 would put you into Open
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

At our club we do a 'mad-minute' bolt action only service shoot at the end of the main event. For the main shoot we have open, service and the famous 'Legacy' class. For legacy rifle has to be full-bore (no intermediate cartridges) iron sights only and rifle must be 'as issued' - Can be semi-auto which would include the likes of HK G3, SLR's, Dutch AR10's etc.

Points are double and round count is half that of service & open class. We get a few guys shooting legacy now and then, and they sometimes win too.

I want to shoot Legacy one day...

I want a G3 one day too...

***Sigh***
    ebf likes this.

plenty of moisan nagants around. lots in good condition and cheap

Quote Originally Posted by physeptone View Post
    You will probably find that a WWII era rifle is not what you want to shoot SR.....
    They aren't commonly shot in this discipline (except maybe the annual 'bolt action match' up here, but that is once a year).
    Even if you want to shoot such a rifle you will not be competitive and be competing only with yourself if you class by rifle type.
    Consider E-cat AR rifle first
    Like every body else you mean? Thats one of the reasons I dont own an AR.
    sometimes just the joy of shooting an old rifle is satisfying enough. Not always about competition

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk
    Mavarick and Magnus like this.