Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 2 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By mimms2
  • 1 Post By dannyb

Thread: Sewing Machine

Just like Mimms the First

Sewing Machine

For anyone who has wife/daughter/knitting circle friends etc perhaps upgrading...or Gran's old one that's in the back of the shed. I am wanting a sewing machine.
    Probably "industrial" would be best, ideally it will do everything from leather, jeans, and canvas to my lace hankies...
    I also don't want to spend much, but realise I probably have to, to get a decent one.

Just putting it out there.

You would be surprised, i sold 2 industrial ones for $50 each 5 years ago....

Just beware there are oil reservoirs in some of them so dont tip them getting them onto the trailer...
    mimms2 likes this.

An industrial machine is excellent, great value for the money as compared to a household machine. Look for a standard old plain stitch machine, all you can do with them is alter the stitch length, no fancy zig zag or other stitches. Most should handle leather and jeans and canvas, light thread up to very heavy thread. But if you want to work with lace hankies and nylon for tarps etc then a walking foot model will make it easier, and you can get walking foot models that will sew anything from leather to lace hankies, but they are a tad more expensive.
    Moa Hunter and mimms2 like this.

basic models ARENT THAT expensive...go talk to the ladies in sewing shop....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    basic models ARENT THAT expensive...go talk to the ladies in sewing shop....
    I don't mind -basic- but I do NEED heavy duty. I break chinese shit. And as with most things, seco d hand is fine, I'm happy to let someone else pay the brand-new premium.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    An industrial machine is excellent, great value for the money as compared to a household machine. Look for a standard old plain stitch machine, all you can do with them is alter the stitch length, no fancy zig zag or other stitches. Most should handle leather and jeans and canvas, light thread up to very heavy thread. But if you want to work with lace hankies and nylon for tarps etc then a walking foot model will make it easier, and you can get walking foot models that will sew anything from leather to lace hankies, but they are a tad more expensive.
    I would want a zig-zag, but only really need 3 stitches (I do a mean blind hem) so basic but more than a straight stitch. Walking foot is probably the way to go.
    Canvas/denim/linen/cotton probably 90% of the work, just thought if I could find one that did leather, then it would be the last one I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    You would be surprised, i sold 2 industrial ones for $50 each 5 years ago....

Just beware there are oil reservoirs in some of them so dont tip them getting them onto the trailer...
    Thats the kinda deal thing I was hoping to turn up

Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Thanks man! I had no idea you could do that. Hey is that trademe site pretty new?
    [/LIST]

mate - I have ten left thumbs and can find stuff on-line so it cant be too hard ... ;-)
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Thanks man! I had no idea you could do that. Hey is that trademe site pretty new?
    [/LIST]
    I'm just supprised they allow the sale of semi automatic sewing machines
    Mangle likes this.