Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Tikka7mm08
  • 2 Post By Freezer

Thread: Short action wanted

Short action wanted

Hi,
    I'm wanting to build a longish range hunting rifle (weight not the major concern). By "longish" range i mean to be used on red deer/ thar/chamios etc up to 500m killing range. i already shoot with a 6.5x55 with handloaded ammo so would like something signif different. I am after a complete action to fit an aics stock and then will select a barrel in an cal thereafter. Any advice or parts for this build will be welcomed. Just at the beginning stage so open to whatever. A complete setup minus barrel and stock would be ideal but maybe difficult to find so hope someone can help.
    Thanks in advance

Ps: someone's bound to tell me my post should be on another part of forum so sorry - I'm new to this site

I know of a 6mm br on a shortened 98 action not quite finished if your interested

What is your budget? A Rem 700 is probably the way to go. But if you are going to go the full blueprint etc it will end up costing near what a custom action would be. Probably the best value for money is to buy one that someone has already done all the work on.
    As you already have a 6.5x55 the major step up in a short action would be a 284 or short magnum of some sort.
    B.pope likes this.

I'm looking at same thing. I have a Rem short action and a highech stock. I'm thinking of .284 win... Anyone have experience with this calibre in a short remmy action?

Thanks.

Custom action (Defiance Deviant Hunter) and 260AI here. Agree with Stug... one key difference is you can pace the work and cost to your cashflow if you upgrade say a Rem 700 action.
    B.pope likes this.

Don't do it. Just buy a Tikka (low budget) or Sako in 7mm rem mag
    7mmsaum and BRADS like this.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I Think stug has a good point & thanks to Tuiman I've now got a pretty sweet rem 700 SA with all the work done & in 300 wsm. This sure is going to be a super rifle (heavy but awesome). I reckon it will be a real test for me to tame but heck, I've got a few years & time to practice ��. Cheers again for the input