Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shotgun over and under

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7

    Shotgun over and under

    Starting out in skeet or trap . Just got my firearms and now wanting a over and under to start me off . Cant afford a brand new gun so looking at second hand . Anything out there? Or ideas are welcomed
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    293

    shotty

    I've got a older Baikal IJ-27 EIC
    Fixed chokes - strong ejectors
    Breaks down into 3 pieces - you could just about fit in a backpack - just bit of a knack to getting it back together as the spring is tight on the forearm lock.
    Few marks, and bit of bluing going on the trigger and underside metal where hand rests but nothing major.
    Its a decent older shotty.

    Looking for $275

  3. #3
    MB
    MB is offline
    Member MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    1,022
    If you've got $2k, the Miroku MK70 must be one of the best value shotguns in NZ. I owned one briefly, but it didn't suit my duck hunting shenanigans, so I sold it.
    erniec likes this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by thejavelin View Post
    I've got a older Baikal IJ-27 EIC
    Fixed chokes - strong ejectors
    Breaks down into 3 pieces - you could just about fit in a backpack - just bit of a knack to getting it back together as the spring is tight on the forearm lock.
    Few marks, and bit of bluing going on the trigger and underside metal where hand rests but nothing major.
    Its a decent older shotty.

    Looking for $275
    Hey mate do you have any pictures of it?

  5. #5
    Member Savage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    2,811
    I was in your position a year or so ago,, I had a go with my father in laws browning B725, which I loved but was way out of my price range. I even went to the club with the neighbours baikal and shot quite well with it but had to stop after two round because of the bruising.

    You need a purpose made trap or skeet gun, the hunting ones are too light and kick too much.

    I ended up buying an Akkar Trap from H&F, external chokes, raised rib, adjustable cheek piece, for about 1.3k. I couldn’t find anything cheaper that ticked all of the boxes. I’m pretty happy with it and I’ve put a few slabs through it now, and even won a few with it.

    If you’re ever up in Whangarei you’re welcome to have a shoot with it.
    Steve123 and A330driver like this.

  6. #6
    Member Gapped axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lake Tarawera
    Posts
    3,428
    I have a Nikko Shadow for $500.00
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

  7. #7
    Member Steve123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    What used to be Franklin
    Posts
    2,210
    2nd the purpose made skeet or trap gun.
    I'm using a u/o field gun at the moment and the safeties a pain recoils ok and loving it otherwise.

    Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    I have a Nikko Shadow for $500.00
    Have you got any pics of it mate?

  9. #9
    Member Gapped axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lake Tarawera
    Posts
    3,428
    Name:  IMG_20190328_144705_705.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  1.18 MBName:  IMG_20190328_144656_452.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  1.11 MBName:  IMG_20190328_144625_663.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  1.66 MB

    N.B photos 4&5 are with the flash and have come out crap. I had an extension put on the stock as it was to short for me, I'm 6'2''
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Gapped axe; 28-03-2019 at 02:59 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    68
    I have a biakal, unsure if a genuine or re make , can send photos $225.00. Cheers

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Philb View Post
    I have a biakal, unsure if a genuine or re make , can send photos $225.00. Cheers
    Yea that would be good

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I was in your position a year or so ago,, I had a go with my father in laws browning B725, which I loved but was way out of my price range. I even went to the club with the neighbours baikal and shot quite well with it but had to stop after two round because of the bruising.

    You need a purpose made trap or skeet gun, the hunting ones are too light and kick too much.

    I ended up buying an Akkar Trap from H&F, external chokes, raised rib, adjustable cheek piece, for about 1.3k. I couldn’t find anything cheaper that ticked all of the boxes. I’m pretty happy with it and I’ve put a few slabs through it now, and even won a few with it.

    If you’re ever up in Whangarei you’re welcome to have a shoot with it.
    Cheers mate

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Attachment 107971Attachment 107972Attachment 107973

    N.B photos 4&5 are with the flash and have come out crap. I had an extension put on the stock as it was to short for me, I'm 6'2''
    Are you in Auckland ? Would be keen to have a look at it?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    1,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy1989 View Post
    Are you in Auckland ? Would be keen to have a look at it?
    Have a look under his forum name, you will see his location.

  15. #15
    Member Gapped axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lake Tarawera
    Posts
    3,428
    yup just out of Rotovegas. Gun is till quite tight not a lot of rounds thru it I'm guessing.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Swap: Semi Auto Shotgun for Pump Action Shotgun
    By TheWuce in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 19-10-2018, 12:44 PM
  2. WTB: MEC shotgun press and shotgun reloading components
    By jakesae101 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM
  3. WTB: Shotgun
    By Tertle in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-12-2016, 04:13 PM
  4. FS: Shotgun and A-Tec
    By Wildman in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-08-2016, 07:24 AM
  5. wtb shotgun
    By matto1234 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-07-2015, 08:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!