Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Spook
  • 1 Post By Phill243
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam

Thread: Shotty or. 22

Shotty or. 22

Hi guys
    looking for a decent .22 for myself just shooting rabbits and what not. Dont mind second hand or whether its a bolt, semi as long as it shoots straight Have been looking at the $300 .22s that gun city sell as i dont have alot cash to spend but dont know about there quality.

Also looking for a 12g shotgun for my dad to get him into duck shooting and so i can secretly use it when he's not home. Preferably a double barrel as i dont want him getting trigger happy and spending all my rounds but mainly i just like the doubles.

Would appreciate any pointers or offers. Cheers
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

12g goose gun, single barrel, bolt action, detachable magazine (two in the mag, one up the spout), adjustable choke, use it to shoot anything and every thing...I can loan you one for a play if you want.
    Scouser likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

As far As cheap 22s go I wouldent go past a savage I bought one second hand off a mate and it drives tacks man. I personally think 22 is a good investment no matter what you spend because if you shoot possums it will pay itself off and if you buy once cry once and get a decent one it will last your lifetime
    possummatti likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    12g goose gun, single barrel, bolt action, detachable magazine (two in the mag, one up the spout), adjustable choke, use it to shoot anything and every thing...I can loan you one for a play if you want.
    Cheers spook we'll see how we go but would be keen for a geeze at it one day. Ill keep you informed

Watch trademe and some good deals come up quite often. In the used .22, up to 300$ price range you have lots of Norinco JW15s and you might get lucky and pick up a marlin 25 or 925. Both can be extremely accurate, grouping at times well under 0.5" at 50m - are durable and reliable. Marlin make very good rimfire barrels, and the JWs more often than not also have excellent barrels and can produce stunning accuracy eg 0.3" groups at 50m. With used norincos the action is often already worn in which is an advantage.

Norinco .22 | Trade Me

Norinco 5 shot bolt action 22 | Trade Me

As a rimfire hobbyist can't remember how many gazillion 22 makes and models I've owned but one of my two fave wee performers - deadly effective wee unit - is a JW15 polished and chopped to 16". Ideal worker 22 - superbly accurate. Other useful makes Toz (though hard to get bits now) and Savage.
    possummatti likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Watch trademe and some good deals come up quite often. In the used .22, up to 300$ price range you have lots of Norinco JW15s and you might get lucky and pick up a marlin 25 or 925. Both can be extremely accurate, grouping at times well under 0.5" at 50m - are durable and reliable. Marlin make very good rimfire barrels, and the JWs more often than not also have excellent barrels and can produce stunning accuracy eg 0.3" groups at 50m. With used norincos the action is often already worn in which is an advantage.

Norinco .22 | Trade Me

Norinco 5 shot bolt action 22 | Trade Me

As a rimfire hobbyist can't remember how many gazillion 22 makes and models I've owned but one of my two fave wee performers - deadly effective wee unit - is a JW15 polished and chopped to 16". Ideal worker 22 - superbly accurate. Other useful makes Toz (though hard to get bits now) and Savage.
    Cheers for the tips there mudgripz.
    Just wondering how do you tell if a second hand. 22 has a good barrel or whether its shot without going and having a look at it first hand. Are.. 22 barrels pretty long lasting or is it luck of the draw?

Very long lasting and you seldom find worn out 22 barrels. Just buy the model you like as shd be fine.
    possummatti likes this.

rust from lack of use is what kills most 22 barrels.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    mudgripz likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

I picked up a savage 93 in stainless/synthetic .22 magnum and I love it, has a thicker barrel too and is very quiet, only likes ballistic tip bullets though so it eats 30g hornady v-max's, great fun sniping rabbits or possums too

Quote Originally Posted by Grutsyboy View Post
    I picked up a savage 93 in stainless/synthetic .22 magnum and I love it, has a thicker barrel too and is very quiet, only likes ballistic tip bullets though so it eats 30g hornady v-max's, great fun sniping rabbits or possums too
    Ive been tossing up whether to get a 22lr or mag as well but leaning towards a .22 due to price of bullets