Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cooee Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Single shot or takedown

Single shot or takedown

Hi

I'm after a rifle that is good to use as a takedown, I know some of the Thompson rifles aren't takedown ready but can be modified to do so. one day I will get a blaser but not on the cards at this stage, I'm thinking of doing the old ghost road on a mtb and want a rifle to suit (lighter the better) . if you have any other ideas for a compact rifle I'm keen to hear it,. 223 or 308 would be prefrence. I don't really like the bregara so will avoid them if I can.

Cheers and happy new year

Just go all in on the Blaser k95 that's been listed on trade a bit lately
    It's on the westcoast already and saves a special trip
    6.5x55 from memory
    High grade wood and lots of engraving
    Save on all the upgrades along the way when that's where you want to get to anyway

But seriously
    There's a G2 contender set on trademe also ready to go
    But contenders cost and restricted on max cartridge diameter and pressure
    Encores are a lot bigger and take more powerful rounds but a a bit of a club and not ideal as a small take down

buy a baikal and be done with it....wont loose money on it,will do the job without fuss or bother,and as for the weight,well if you FIND one in .308 you will be thankful for it...in 7.62x39mm or .223 it will be just great to help stability.
    Growlybear, viper, bing and 1 others like this.

@c-dog for the same sort of use ( packrafting ) I have a SS G2 contender set with 223, 6.8SPC and 375 Winchester
    Quick take down

And a K95

They are both the ideal light, accurate take down rifle
    Just a huge gulf in price
    bing likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Just go all in on the Blaser k95 that's been listed on trade a bit lately
    It's on the westcoast already and saves a special trip
    6.5x55 from memory
    High grade wood and lots of engraving
    Save on all the upgrades along the way when that's where you want to get to anyway

But seriously
    There's a G2 contender set on trademe also ready to go
    But contenders cost and restricted on max cartridge diameter and pressure
    Encores are a lot bigger and take more powerful rounds but a a bit of a club and not ideal as a small take down
    That blaser is a serious nice bit of kit, I'm half tempted to sell the majority of my rifles to fund it to be fair, just a hard pill to swallow and hunting with a high end rifle is always going to be a bit of a worry, I take care of my gear but would probably shed a tear if I banged the thing up. Will see what happens. I'm not a huge fan of the hog back stock with a scope, probably not have a scope for a while if I took the plunge. is your stock the same style how do you find it? I'm in no rush so happy to wait for the right setup.

Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    buy a baikal and be done with it....wont loose money on it,will do the job without fuss or bother,and as for the weight,well if you FIND one in .308 you will be thankful for it...in 7.62x39mm or .223 it will be just great to help stability.
    I will keep an eye out for a baikal, they seem to perform pretty good for the price point, how's your lightweight stock building getting on?

pm sent re baikal
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.

well I made one up in a hurry....made it work,tried it...and then put origonal stock back on and lightweight one in corner with the other spare stocks....one day I MAY get around to doing some more with it...but for now I will just sit on it and wait LOL.
    it definately worked...Ive just had such good times with origonal stock its a hard thing to change...maybe will swap them back for fast n light tops trip...time will tell.
    c-dog likes this.

if I was to go route of baikal...I WOULD some how set up aperture on the built in dove tail and shoot it like that..... being able to carry with round up spout and uncocked is a huge benifit safety wise.... same as external hammer in practise but out of sight and unable to snag on anything.

or set one up as Timattalon has done with red dot and suppressor...but that sort of defeats purpose of light and rugged.

ablakebrown
    There was a Browning BLR lightweight stainless takedown in 308 at the Queenstown H&F last I checked. I have it in 7-08 and it's a friggin great takedown gun, and just rifle in general.
    timattalon, Got-ya and Scope like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ablakebrown View Post
    There was a Browning BLR lightweight stainless takedown in 308 at the Queenstown H&F last I checked. I have it in 7-08 and it's a friggin great takedown gun, and just rifle in general.
    And at 6.5lbs it's hardly a heavyweight.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
    That blaser is a serious nice bit of kit, I'm half tempted to sell the majority of my rifles to fund it to be fair, just a hard pill to swallow and hunting with a high end rifle is always going to be a bit of a worry, I take care of my gear but would probably shed a tear if I banged the thing up. Will see what happens. I'm not a huge fan of the hog back stock with a scope, probably not have a scope for a while if I took the plunge. is your stock the same style how do you find it? I'm in no rush so happy to wait for the right setup.

Cheers mate
    Are you left handed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is a Baikal single shot 303 at shooters supplies at the moment.

There was a Baikal .223 on TM for sale last week, the auction closed and I think the rifle didn’t sell.
    Go in expired listings (select the down arrow to the right of the magnifying glass, next to the search bar. Follow the prompts and search the expiredlisting's details ) and put Baikal in the search field and it will come up, then just press the button to ask the seller to relist, and if it’s still for sale the seller will be notified.
    Last edited by diana2; 02-01-2022 at 02:06 PM.
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

Be aware that the Baikal's are no lighter than your average rifle. They are just able to be broken down reasonably easy. Im also pretty sure that all Baikal .223s are 1:12 twist which can limit your projectile choice a bit.
    I have had a couple and they are cool guns, despite being a bit rustic, but dont buy one expecting a lightweight.