Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Stager BLK

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Single shot or takedown

Cheers for all the replys, I have been offered a baikal 222 but going to do a bit more research on them, from what I've seen the triggers are not the best and the weight so will see what I can find out. Could be a cheap way to see if the takedown setup suits me and upgrade later on. The blr could be worth a look. @MSL I probably should shoot left handed as I am left eye dominant, but rifles have all been right have used bows in left. Shotguns I have shot much the same either way.
    Cheers
    Micky Duck likes this.

What is it about Bergaras that you don't like?

A Baikal is an excellent lower cost option. The trigger can be lightened up fairly simply by any competent gunsmith. And you can start carving weight off it by docking the barrel, and modifying the stock. Theyre easy to shoot with and nearly always shoot pretty bloody good after you've had the trigger done. Not sure what the twist rate is, but they can shoot 55's, 60's and 63gn's very accurately. Back in the 90's I shot more animals over a 5 year period with my 222 Baikal, than I had ever shot with all of my other firearms - tahr, chamois, deer, pigs, goats, rabbits and hares.
    Tentman, timattalon, viper and 1 others like this.

a trebly rusky...oh stop it,Im drooling...the 303 will be conversion from 7.62x39mm and will be a great gun too.
    yeah not super light..but superlight isnt always super good for shooting well....
    timattalon likes this.

Also not to be sneezed at are the H&R Handi rifles. These can be had (only secondhand now) in a range if calibers right up to "snotty". They have better triggers than the Baikals and shoot just as well. I have two Contenders, they are the poor mans kipplauf, with a very good trigger mechanism that's way less complex than a true kipplauf like the Blaser. The TC's are just butt ugly though. Of all the SS only the true Kipplaufs are really light 5.5 lbs being common, the Contenders are a bit over 6 if trimmed a bit. I like the balance and "shootability" of the Contender over any of the large range of single shot rifles I've owned over the years. My current favourite is a TC Contender in 6.8SPC and it'll stay with me for a very long time.
    rupert, Husky1600, akaroa1 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
    Hi
    @c-dog
    I'm after a rifle that is good to use as a takedown, I know some of the Thompson rifles aren't takedown ready but can be modified to do so. one day I will get a blaser but not on the cards at this stage, I'm thinking of doing the old ghost road on a mtb and want a rifle to suit (lighter the better) . if you have any other ideas for a compact rifle I'm keen to hear it,. 223 or 308 would be prefrence. I don't really like the bregara so will avoid them if I can.

Cheers and happy new year
    I have a 223 Baikal new and in the box here if you wish to go down that road. It is our last Baikal (I think).

And from personal experience, the BLR takedowns are nice bits of kit, too.

And if you are considering the Baikal 303, that style of action works very well with rimmed cartridges like the 303. And I do like 303 as a calibre....Though being a rechambered 7.62x39, I cannot say any more on that as a lot will depend on the quality of the work done...
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    What is it about Bergaras that you don't like?
    I remember some of there single shots had issues with jamming the action up, and felt rather hefty for the size, in saying that it was a long time since I picked one up, i would perfer Tc for not alot more. I will see what the one on trademe goes for. Otherwise I might look into making a basic stock for one of my bolt actions. No rush the trip won't be happening for a while and could be a fun wee project

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
    I remember some of there single shots had issues with jamming the action up, and felt rather hefty for the size, in saying that it was a long time since I picked one up, i would perfer Tc for not alot more. I will see what the one on trademe goes for. Otherwise I might look into making a basic stock for one of my bolt actions. No rush the trip won't be happening for a while and could be a fun wee project
    Happens with blasers and Merkels also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Happens with blasers and Merkels also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Does it @MSL ?

I have only owned one K95 and that only for 10 years and 200 ish rounds through it
    Never had it jam up
    But there's always a first time
    Neck sizing and thickness is important with reloads though or you get hard to chamber rounds

But it's pretty important that the cartridge is rimmed and a decent amount of body taper helps
    Micky Duck likes this.