Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By res
  • 1 Post By kidmac42
  • 1 Post By Tertle
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 2 Post By hotbarrels

Thread: SKS and 7.62x39 brass

SKS and 7.62x39 brass

I am toying with the idea of getting an SKS, its an itch i need to scratch, just want to see what i can do in the way of reloading and tinkering so.......

if anyone has an SKS and they are thinking they want to shift then let me know, PLUS I'm after brass......

Please email me, i know that they come up on special through GC every so often, but keen to see whats out there

cheers
    I appreciate & respect differing views, I greatly value the benefit of good conversation around differing opinions & respect points of view contrary to my own, however when you’re a belligerent self-opinionated obnoxious troll like individual, +1 to the ignore list

I've been thinking about selling mine as it just sits in the cupboard these days.
    It owes me a fair bit tho as it sports a plastic druganov type stock(a cat) and a counterstrike red/green dot scope with laser attached.I havnt put a lot of rounds thru it, less than 200 hundred an kept clean and spikky. May be able to dig some pics out if interested.
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

cheers, yeah would be interested, Pm me some pics and what your after.

Like i said I'm keen to see whats lurking out there!!!
    I appreciate & respect differing views, I greatly value the benefit of good conversation around differing opinions & respect points of view contrary to my own, however when you’re a belligerent self-opinionated obnoxious troll like individual, +1 to the ignore list

@stretch you still selling the Russian sks?

res
    Gun city had a field days special the other day for $266, could be worth hitting them up to see if they would do one at the sale price. I couldn't help myself at that price and bought another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve123 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    @stretch you still selling the Russian sks?
    Yep. Reserve met, closing tonight. http://www.trademe.co.nz/1106149410

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Gun city had a field days special the other day for $266, could be worth hitting them up to see if they would do one at the sale price. I couldn't help myself at that price and bought another one

Yes, I've gone down today and had a look, and yes they come up on sale, but i would prefer a wooden stock as the one they are selling appears some type of synthetic stock?

I'm looking to do some tinkering i would be looking at the bearing surfaces and how it stocks up? @stretch i noticed the wooden one next to the one your selling?

I was asked by a cousin who knows that i reload, cast projectiles and like tinkering to see what i think of them. For what they are and the round they fire I'm somewhat curious....to the point yeah i would like one.....more dies etc!!!!

Too be fair, I would look seriously at stretch's one, as at that price I just couldn't compete.
    stretch likes this.
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    I'm looking to do some tinkering i would be looking at the bearing surfaces and how it stocks up? @stretch i noticed the wooden one next to the one your selling?
    The wood one in my photo has been sold sorry. I have two left- the Russian one in the synthetic stock, and a Chinese one in a wood stock that has had the butt beautifully extended a couple of inches, so the length of pull is perfect for me (6ft 7). My Russian one has better metalwork than any Chinese one I've seen, besides the external pitting I've described in my auction. You can see the difference in the machining between a Russian and a Chinese one - the Chinese ones I've had felt rough when cycling the bolt, while the Russian is nice and smooth.

Didn't @Spanners have one he was selling.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I've got a E cat one for sale

Ok...so may have sorted the SKS, need brass!!!!
    Spanners likes this.

you will never regret owning an sks. or in my case the wifes sks. drag stock and shorty 4x32.
    absolutely reliable, even after being dropped in mud and rinsed out in the nearest stream.
    Tertle likes this.

Biggest problem with the SKS/SKK is the mounting of optics, and getting a reliable scope mount system. My SKK has a folded metal angle bracket made from 3mm MS which is drilled and tapped onto the side of the action, on top of which is a section of rail for the scope rings. It is absolutely rock solid and remains in place when the action is stripped. No POA/POI shift, and the plate protects the scope from ejecting shells.
    Tertle and res like this.

I like the round, i like the reviews on the rifle, i like the price, I love the fact i cast load for 30cal as well as have a few 30 cal rifles, Brass and dies next!!!!