Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: STICKY for rifle transfers

STICKY for rifle transfers

As per the title, seems to be getting a bit harder to move firearms around the country.
    There have been a few offers of assitance to "pick up" and help with transfers with folk moving / traveling.

It would be up to the individual of course as to levels of "trust"...... but I think thats why a lot of us buy and sell on here in preference.
    Looking for ideas and principles, on how we could make it work?
    Hunter_killer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    As per the title, seems to be getting a bit harder to move firearms around the country.
    There have been a few offers of assitance to "pick up" and help with transfers with folk moving / traveling.

It would be up to the individual of course as to levels of "trust"...... but I think thats why a lot of us buy and sell on here in preference.
    Looking for ideas and principles, on how we could make it work?
    Is Fastways no longer doing them?

Could make a sticky for Transport Needs, e.g. "Need transport of rifle from Twizel to Dunedin".

Would almost have to be in a separate Transport forum room... or the FS / WTBs would need bumping all the time.

I think it would be legit to contribute to costs of petrol etc. but we can't legally charge each other for time etc on top of that. Might invalidate car insurance if found ferrying stuff for money.

Obviously need to view FALs religiously at points of transfer.
    Pineapple, canross and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Could make a sticky for Transport Needs, e.g. "Need transport of rifle from Twizel to Dunedin".

Would almost have to be in a separate Transport forum room... or the FS / WTBs would need bumping all the time.

Fully agree. +1 give it a crack and see how we go. Quite handy for people in transit from point A to B etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    canross likes this.

What do you think @Spanners?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post

I think it would be legit to contribute to costs of petrol etc. but we can't legally charge each other for time etc on top of that. Might invalidate car insurance if found ferrying stuff for money.

what money
    canross likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I’ll kick it off with travel from ChCh to Palmerston North on Saturday if anyone needs it
    Hunter_killer, canross and Cordite like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

This is a great idea

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As long as everyone follows the law I don't see an issue - transfer of ownership of firearms already requires sighting a license, so should be ok. Fortunately society doesn't prohibit helping people yet, and this' a pretty close knit forum.

As long as everyone's comfortable and does their due diligence (IE being careful who you entrust the firearm to, making sure timing works and everyone is able to contact each other, etc etc) it seems like a great idea. Possibly one suggestion is to meet somewhere neutral (IE gun range, gun store etc) if you don't know the other person well.

End of the day you get what you pay for. Apparently paying a courier gets you a package that will arrive after an indeterminate amount of time, usually at the correct address, and possibly left in the rain, sometimes delivered by a less than savory character who may be intelligent enough to connect the dots on a long box labelled "Remington" and your address. Alternatively, having someone deliver it might help meet other forum members that you've chatted with online but never met.

My thoughts are that the "way things are headed"

Couriers will only go from D holders to D holders ( dealers ) and you flash your FAL to them when they call and say the package has arrived.
    It wont be long after that,the D holders concerned will start to charge for the service they provide. ( nothing wrong with that ... we all have to make a buck )
    But i can see that not very far away it will be $75 to courier from A to B via a vetted service and $25 for the pick up " admin fee"
    Thats not too bad but the $400 bargain rifle you just bought has now had a 25% price hike!!

the new section could be called

GUN RUNNERS
    Hunter_killer and canross like this.

About the police postal order form, and whether it must still be completed?

OR is the visual sighting of licenses all along the chain, from FAL holder to FAL holder enough? The police order form is in place of presenting a physical FAL along with your own mug, to ensure that the person buying something by postal order has the required license to have it. Of course the mail order police form has a suspected secondary function of harvesting serial numbers, but that is not the reason we have the postal order form.

Informal gunrunning like this may also be a useful protection against couriers putting the squeeze on with fees, checks and procedures in future, never mind police dragging their feet sending mail order forms on.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    As long as everyone's comfortable and does their due diligence (IE being careful who you entrust the firearm to, making sure timing works and everyone is able to contact each other, etc etc) it seems like a great idea. Possibly one suggestion is to meet somewhere neutral (IE gun range, gun store etc) if you don't know the other person well.
    If I don't know someone well, I'd hesitate to agree to meet in a neutral place to transfer a gun to them, even if they say they'll show me their FAL. It is good to be able to say to what person and what address you dropped something off at. But each situation is unique.
    Last edited by Cordite; 13-02-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Awesome idea, good way to get someone to check over the firearm also instead of having something delivered to you that's not quite as described (not really an issue on here but tardme is a different story) if the courier even gets it to you... mail order forms in our district are averaging well over a week also so good way to avoid that hoop and meet members. Win win.

I think its a given that all laws of the land would be adhered to.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Awesome idea, good way to get someone to check over the firearm also instead of having something delivered to you that's not quite as described (not really an issue on here but tardme is a different story) if the courier even gets it to you... mail order forms in our district are averaging well over a week also so good way to avoid that hoop and meet members. Win win.
    Crap, where do you live? I put in a mail order form at lunch time in Oamaru a few months back, it went to our AO Andrea Calder in Dunedin overnight, the next morning the seller had his email. I'd send her a bottle of wine after hearing how high above the level of some others she clearly operates, but she's a sworn officer so not allowed to accept gifts.
    Ernie likes this.

As stated previously in the other thread I'm happy to organise pick ups in southland :-) and from there if you do a mail order form I can ship it up to ya.
    Pete_D likes this.