Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By annzer
  • 1 Post By Mauser308
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 1 Post By paremata

Thread: Stihl 044 chainsaw bits?

Stihl 044 chainsaw bits?

Hey, have an old 044 Stihl that's got a buggered piston and crank case - run with straight fuel and bearings fell apart. Rest of it is OK, but will need to replace the engine effectively to get the thing going. Keen to have a go just for the exercise of rebuilding it, and am looking at the Farmertec bits but would prefer to use factory if possible. It's just not going to be economic to get factory bits to rebuild this one - anyone got parts of a MS440 or 044 or a poor running saw that they'd part with?

Cheers

mate contact stihl NZ directly .....and look on trademe...I killed my big old girl a few years back....made mistake of believing shop staff it was unfixable,laeter found out all the bits are readily available .

Take it from experience do not touch the Chinese parts for these things they do not last period.We run about 15-17 saws and went cheap once after a bulldozer flattened one.The bores on the barrels are crap and the piston rings failed on another.Try and get genuine parts.Even if the 044 costs more to rebuild than a new saw it will still outlast the current junk stihl are making in the commercial saw range

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Hey, have an old 044 Stihl that's got a buggered piston and crank case - run with straight fuel and bearings fell apart. Rest of it is OK, but will need to replace the engine effectively to get the thing going. Keen to have a go just for the exercise of rebuilding it, and am looking at the Farmertec bits but would prefer to use factory if possible. It's just not going to be economic to get factory bits to rebuild this one - anyone got parts of a MS440 or 044 or a poor running saw that they'd part with?

Cheers
    I have a runner, but you're a bit far up the road.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

A search of Tardme using the terms "Stihl 044" just pulled up a tonne of rebuild options

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Take it from experience do not touch the Chinese parts for these things they do not last period.We run about 15-17 saws and went cheap once after a bulldozer flattened one.The bores on the barrels are crap and the piston rings failed on another.Try and get genuine parts.Even if the 044 costs more to rebuild than a new saw it will still outlast the current junk stihl are making in the commercial saw range
    Asked the Mrs to get some parts for an 023 while she was home in Germany,they were too dear here considering the value of the saw. Anyway she contacted Stihl HQ and was told that all their parts are made 'overseas' and there are no genuine German made bits.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Asked the Mrs to get some parts for an 023 while she was home in Germany,they were too dear here considering the value of the saw. Anyway she contacted Stihl HQ and was told that all their parts are made 'overseas' and there are no genuine German made bits.
    What parts are you looking for on an 023 mate? I might be able to help

Cheers
    These guys on trademe might be able to help
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Li...member=5006088
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Li...member=2915305

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    What parts are you looking for on an 023 mate? I might be able to help
    Another carb and more importantly a fuel tank - unbelievably a small sliver of bark broke the fitting for the little tube at the top of the tank, I think it must be a breather / equaliser. Glued it back on but not successful because of the fuel breaking down the glue no matter what I use and too small to plastic weld.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

I had min rebuilt by the guy that does my lawnmower, I have two 44's and he said I had to promise not sell them. The price wasn't too bad and it's goes like new, Im sure he used aftermarket bits.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Another carb and more importantly a fuel tank - unbelievably a small sliver of bark broke the fitting for the little tube at the top of the tank, I think it must be a breather / equaliser. Glued it back on but not successful because of the fuel breaking down the glue no matter what I use and too small to plastic weld.
    I’ll have a look , I think I have one

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    I hear that - except as someone else pointed out Stihl and Husqy are both getting a lot of their parts and stuff made in China now! I have a MS361 (German assembled) and that has a prominent part with "China" discretely visible...

This is pretty much a hobby exercise for me, I doubt I'll ever work this saw hard if I get it running so carefully chosen Chinese parts I think will be fine for the exercise if I have to go down that route but if I can I'd prefer to find another factory non-running saw that's been busted in the handle or somesuch and see if I can get one good from two.

For the 028 with the buggered tank, there's a two-pack plastic adhesive you can buy at supercheap that will fix that - don't inhale (you'll thank me for that advice) but it basically dries/sets to the same material that the tank is made from. Or google Farmertec/Hutzl and buy one in - they appear to be one of the better sources of aftermarket bits from what the Yanks are saying. This is my main option at the mo, basically a engine kit and a few other minor bits. My saw is basically complete apart from crankcases, bearings and a few parts that attach to the crank that got destroyed when the bearings let go...
    Moa Hunter likes this.

A mate of mine who was big into genuine Stihl second hand parts has sold the lot to a guy who works for Mikes Chainsaws in New Plymouth, 3 garage full of them. Might be worth a try if you want genuine S/H parts. Can get his details if keen.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I hear that - except as someone else pointed out Stihl and Husqy are both getting a lot of their parts and stuff made in China now! I have a MS361 (German assembled) and that has a prominent part with "China" discretely visible...

This is pretty much a hobby exercise for me, I doubt I'll ever work this saw hard if I get it running so carefully chosen Chinese parts I think will be fine for the exercise if I have to go down that route but if I can I'd prefer to find another factory non-running saw that's been busted in the handle or somesuch and see if I can get one good from two.

For the 028 with the buggered tank, there's a two-pack plastic adhesive you can buy at supercheap that will fix that - don't inhale (you'll thank me for that advice) but it basically dries/sets to the same material that the tank is made from. Or google Farmertec/Hutzl and buy one in - they appear to be one of the better sources of aftermarket bits from what the Yanks are saying. This is my main option at the mo, basically a engine kit and a few other minor bits. My saw is basically complete apart from crankcases, bearings and a few parts that attach to the crank that got destroyed when the bearings let go...
    I've bought gear off these guys, their bearings etc are better than farmertec imho. For pistons and cylinders I'd use meteor which you can get from SES direct down south.
    Great deals from saegenspezi in passend-fur-Stihl-044-MS440- | eBay Stores
    norsk likes this.