Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Frodo
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By Stocky

Thread: Stone Glacier Sky 7900

Stone Glacier Sky 7900

Stone Glacier Sky 7900. Have had it for 3.5 years. Selling as I'd like to go down the ultra-light path and test some even lighter gear.

The pack is comprised of the bag, and the external carbon fibre frame.It's a modular design, so you can buy various bags of different sizes and alternate between them.

Lightweight. Weighs 2kg.

Belt size - small/medium.

It can be compressed down to the size of a day pack (relatively speaking) or expanded to a whopping 130 litres. Considering that it still weighs the same (or less) than packs with half the capacity, this is pretty impressive.

It's got a meat shelf between the frame and the bag for hauling meat. It means you don't have to risk carrying the meat inside the pack where your other gear may get dirty etc.

Made of cordura fabric, with a waterproof inner fabric. Very durable pack - I've dragged it through some rough sh*t and it's still in great shape. No rips or damage.

Comes with a top lid, and a rifle carrying harness which is attached to the pack. It's very handy and secure.

Cost over $1300 NZD landed a few years back.

I'm asking $600.00 - free shipping.

Name:  IMG_4188.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  5.19 MB Name:  IMG_4189.JPG
Views: 445
Size:  5.08 MB Name:  IMG_4191.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  5.84 MB Name:  IMG_4192.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  5.39 MB

$580 - final offer, or I'll keep it as a spare.

A new one's about twice the price; excluding import duty.

Belt size 28-30".

Here's a photo off the manufacturers website of what the frame can handle: Name:  stone glacier.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  86.5 KB

Out of Interest man, what are you replacing it with?

I'd like to get a custom pack built. Something very minimalist (more so than the SG), but with better comfort and abrasion resistance than what you'd
    find in most commercially manufactured ultralight packs.

Otherwise the SG is hard to beat. For hunting purposes it's probably the best thing available - Kifaru and Mystery Ranch are just as good but heavier and more suited to serious load hauling - the Americans are crazy about that stuff.
    199p and ariki like this.

Yeah nice man. Bit big for what I need otherwise I'd grab it. Let me know who you get to do the pack. I'm running an exped at the moment which is light and capable I just need a bit more space
    Frodo likes this.

$550 or its going on trademe.

Ive been thinking about the ultralite packs for hunting , and recon a harness system like this one would be ideal ,and just get a cuben fibre bag made up to fit it .

Yep - could be a good way to go.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Has anyone used the hyperlite porters 4400. looks like a good pack but just pricey
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Has anyone used the hyperlite porters 4400. looks like a good pack but just pricey
    Greg Caigou uses the 3400 Southwest. His Instagram is Caigou and he wrote on them in the NZ Hunter Magazine. Or I think @Creed on the other forum. I wouldn't go to the 4400 as if you need that much space you probably want something with a better harness etc. They are very very basic (no load lifter etc) and the 4400 also sits above the head which can be a pain.

I just picked up a Stone Glacier Evo 40/56 as an allrounder back. Its under 2kgs has a meat shelf and it rated up to 150 pounds which is near my weight. Its shrinks right down to a reasonable daypack but can still haul out a heap of meat. Unless you have truly lightened everything else I think going ultralight weight on a pack should be near last.
    Frodo likes this.

I agree with @Stocky. Only go ultraweight with your pack if you're also prepared to go light on your other gear - but more importantly, adopt a minimalist mind-set altogether. In other words...take less food (eat more off the land)...take less robust forms of shelter (make do with a fly and bivvy and fashion extra shelter out of whatever you may find around you). Etc.

The 'perfect' do-it-all pack, which is both light in weight, durable, AND capable of hauling heavier loads, is nothing but a myth.

Going by reviews and hear-say, the Hyperlites are good if you're a serious ultralighter - but as a general hunting pack, or something you're planning on carting lots of gear in over multiple days -- they just aren't particularly comfortable.

The Stone glaciers are a good middle ground. Light (enough), but durable and can carry some serious weight.
    Last edited by Frodo; 19-06-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Pack is sold.