Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Supressed 223

Supressed 223

Am looking for a very good priced 223 package with suppressor. Will be doing alot of truck work so expensive brand not wanted. Must be tidy hunter, have excellent barrel, and be an accurate range shooter. Thinking of Marlin XS7, Howa, Savage, Zastava etc - all good workers which can shoot very well.

Am in Chch - let me know what you have..

Thanks Mike
    Trout and dannyb like this.

Look out bunnys,another 223 in coming to down to visit you.

Absolutely..

Have had the little 17Mach 2, 17HMR, and recently trialled a 22 magnum for couple of years. All good. But I think they fill a half gap between 22LR and 223 that doesn't really exist for high volume southern bunny conditions. A sharp 22LR is certainly good for 100m any shot - esp when shot in for 75m. Beyond that the 22 magnum and 17HMR and can stretch to approx 125 and 150 respectively, but the limitation I found with them was wind. Any breeze over 15-20ks and longer range is a lottery.

Down here we don't shoot 4-5 in an orchard or paddock though that is good fun. We're after 400-500 in an evening (top 1000 at times) and there is zero time for dialling, no tolerance for that occasional 175m hit from a 17HMR. We can't work with occasional best shots. They've all gotta be right in the engine room from 20-200+ meters and the 223 does that very well. Much better range than the others, flatter shooting, less wind affected, cheap ammo cost with reloads (??) or bulk buys from Belmont or Target Products Fiocchi. Good also on wallabies and the deer that pop up, 223 is easily best post-22LR caliber down here for many locations. We always carry 22LR and shottie too - they're also absolutely best calibers in their conditions. If you've got a farm or station where they're not too spooked and you can get them under 100m, 22LR is perfect. Best fun shooting of all I think..

But - I do need that worker 223...let me know if you have one for sale
    Last edited by mudgripz; 05-10-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    Micky Duck and Waldo Peens like this.

Wouldn’t you be better off to get for example a Ruger ranch/howa (whatever) from new them put your choice of scope and suppressor on so that you’ve made it ‘yours’ from new..?? Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Waldo Peens likes this.

I have a Blue/synthetic Howa 1500 in .223 shoots 40gr and 55gr 1/2 moa?
    If you interested I'm in chch also, could come fitted with a Gunworks suppressor off my .308.

Tiroa - yes valid to buy new.

In this case however I know the rifles pretty well and will not be using 223 all the time as 22LR best on many sites - at least for bunnies. Am also often on shottie duties - so 223 more of a back up - can be 2 other 223s in truck at times. Secondhand with good barrel will do the job - with have my scope on it
    Last edited by mudgripz; 05-10-2021 at 01:46 PM.
    Trout likes this.

As an alternative I do have a nice little Winchester model 670 in the closet with a Leupy 2-7x on it. Could suppress that for $350 at Gunworks = job done for 350.

A few niggles on the idea but:

* 243 ammo MUCH dearer than 223. Fiocchi is cheapest at $49.95 for 20 ($2.50 per round), which is more than twice the price of Fiocchi 223 at just $49 for 50 (and sometimes less - $45).
    * Reloading 243 - how reliable is projectile/brass/primer/powder supply today..?
    * And.. bit old school but am not easy about using a bigger game centrefire like 243 on rabbits - even for longer range. Big overkill to me... though I know it is done..

It is not healthy to use such a rifle with a certain type of torch. Get too many deer. LOL.
    mudgripz likes this.

I strongly recommend the Ruger American Ranch in 223!
    Great value, great accuracy!!

If you want to get a feel for it @mudgripz, I'm chch local and am sure we can arrange something.
    Trout, mudgripz, viper and 1 others like this.
    The Truth shall make ye fret.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo Peens View Post
    I strongly recommend the Ruger American Ranch in 223!
    Great value, great accuracy!!

If you want to get a feel for it @mudgripz, I'm chch local and am sure we can arrange something.
    @mudgripz I'd vouch for @Waldo Peens he is an all round GC
    mudgripz and Waldo Peens like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Have looked up spec on Ruger American Ranch - thinking about that option. Thanks Waldo - will see what pops up in v near future but its a good possibility. If I go with that I'll be in touch..
    Waldo Peens likes this.

@dannyb, thanks ��
    @mudgripz no prob, drop me a PM when you've decided on the Ruger ��
    dannyb likes this.
    The Truth shall make ye fret.

free bump

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Have looked up spec on Ruger American Ranch - thinking about that option. Thanks Waldo - will see what pops up in v near future but its a good possibility. If I go with that I'll be in touch..
    +1 for Ruger Ranch II.

Its a genuine 5.56mm so can use all that cheap 5.56 ammo if its of use to your application. Also comes with a 10 rd AR style mag and additional 3rd party mags are available being as it is AR compatible. I imagine a couple of loaded 10 rd mags would be useful in a night targeting 500 plus bunnies. Mine is super accurate with a cheap Nikko Stirling 3-9x40 scope on it. It comes threaded in 1/2 x24. I pick it up to go get goats for meat with neck shots and my own reloads. It prefers 62gn pills over 55gn and 67gn to 72gn also go well. The Belmont 62gn ammo gives 4 tightly touching holes consistently at 50m.

All for $900 at the time.

My bolt was a bit agricultural. An evening in front of the TV cycling it with coating of Flitz paste on it worked wonders, nice and slick now if a little loose.
    Try harder....

Well...thank you gentlemen for good thoughtful advice, and sorting 223 requirement very promptly!

Clearly some good options there. I've had two very good secondhand offers and have tonight picked up a tidy Howa model 1500 in 223 with gunworks over-barrel suppressor here in Chch. This from JD300 in post above. Good price for the setup and they're a good straight, sound rifle. Will be quite alot less than a new unit, but not less as a shooter.
    @Ted6. 5 also offered me a Savage 223 with Vortex Diamondback - again a fine little unit although up in Tauranga. Anyone also after a 223 should talk to him.. Another good deal.

I will certainly keep this Ruger Ranch in mind for the future - also the Howa mini.

Many thanks. Job done .. Mike