Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: (Or swap) Tikka match barrel or similar...

  1. #1
    Member Hunter_killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    624

    Wink (Or swap) Tikka match barrel or similar...

    Currently have a 7mm08 T3 sitting in a MDT/LSS chassis with PRS stock. Looking at swapping out the 19in light barrel for a match barrel of sorts, nothing too outrageous. Just want to see what is around in the 20inch bracket. Have the ability to machine any barrels if required.

    Barrel is in good nick internally and threaded at 1/2x20.
    1. Has had about 100 rounds through it.
    2. Has light scratch marks on barrel where suppressor sits/screws over it.
    3. Will add the GW spartain suppressor if anyone is keen.

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Zealand/Aotearoa
    Posts
    223
    I have a .270wsm tikka barrel for sale if you are interested.

  3. #3
    Member Hunter_killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    624

    Barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiazonic View Post
    I have a .270wsm tikka barrel for sale if you are interested.
    Could be. What grade is it?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,545
    So basically you would like to swap a standard car engine for a race car engine? If you don't throw some money in as well I am not sure you are going to get much.

    Also remember that a match barrel can be a pencil barrel as well, and that a fat barrel is not neccessaraly a match barrel.

    A tikka barrel can shoot like a match barrel...or NOT!

    And with your 7-08 bolt face you are going to struggle to shoot a 270 wsm ( magnum bolt face cartridge) unless you open up the face of your current bolt.( which can be done if you have ( access to) the gear and expertise).

    Good luck.
    257weatherby and rossi.45 like this.

  5. #5
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    So basically you would like to swap a standard car engine for a race car engine? If you don't throw some money in as well I am not sure you are going to get much.

    Also remember that a match barrel can be a pencil barrel as well, and that a fat barrel is not neccessaraly a match barrel.

    A tikka barrel can shoot like a match barrel...or NOT!

    And with your 7-08 bolt face you are going to struggle to shoot a 270 wsm ( magnum bolt face cartridge) unless you open up the face of your current bolt.( which can be done if you have ( access to) the gear and expertise).

    Good luck.
    Absafuckinglutely!.

    Sell the 7mm08 and use the money to buy an actual T3 in .270wsm, JOB DONE!

  6. #6
    Member Hunter_killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    624
    Apologies in the miss interpretation. I meant that I am looking at swapping out that barrel, not swapping it for free with someone else's. Quite happy to just pay for a barrel up front and sell off my barrel separatly. Agreed, 7mmWSM wouldn't work. Looking at 7mmRM or 6.5x55.

    End of the day, just looking for a barrel that can take a bit more shooting that the T3 light.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,545
    So you are looking for a heavier profile barrel? What do you want to achieve with your projectile? Shooting paper at short range ? Shooting paper at long range? Hunting small varmint far away? Or big deer at close range? Once you answer those questions you can decide on a projectile and a speed to achieve at the target, and then work back to the cartridge and barrel you need.

    If it is just screwing a barrel on your receiver for the sake of it or just to try something else, I can sell you an ex 6 ppc heavy barrel, that can be threaded and chambered for your tikka in a 6 mm of some sort ( 6br or 243 for exemple, so it matches your bolt head, not like 7 rem mag or 6.5x55 which are bigger), as it is a 1 in 14" twist it will work fine with light bullets and be very accurate, but that might not be what you really need.
    Hunter_killer likes this.

  8. #8
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,810
    Light years between 6.5x55 and 7mmRem on all sorts of levels! You really do need to decide exactly what it is you want to achieve first. You could fit a 7mm barrel and ream it to .280AI, shift the bolt stop, no need to do anything with your bolt then, and performance is close to 7mm Rem Mag (not suitable for your shortarse barrel though) . Flag 6.5x55 in your rifle, if you really wanted to go that route, sell your 7mm08 and buy a 6.5x55 in a factory chambered rifle from the get go.
    Hunter_killer likes this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,605
    don't go modifying bolt faces sets you up for all sorts of issues a mate had it done and it was shit
    you wont achieve that much buy going to a match barrel there will be gains but wont blow the standard barrel out of the ball park that's for sure the tikkas are plenty accurate out the box
    id just buy a tikka in the cal you decide on and be done with it will work out cheaper than paying a smith for major surgery like reaming the bolt face

    you'd probably get $1300 for your 7mm-08 as set up with suppressor? and standard stock with a basic scope and rings if you have one lying about

    a 2nd hand but good nick tikka 7mmrem mag 800-1000
    plus $480 for an over barrel dpt fitted

    you'd only drop 2-300 cash on it

    that's what id do anyway been down the rebarrel route a couple of times and you don't gain all that much from a standard tikka.... tikka out the box with a good scope and a good handload should be a .5moa rifle

  10. #10
    Member Hunter_killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    don't go modifying bolt faces sets you up for all sorts of issues a mate had it done and it was shit
    you wont achieve that much buy going to a match barrel there will be gains but wont blow the standard barrel out of the ball park that's for sure the tikkas are plenty accurate out the box
    id just buy a tikka in the cal you decide on and be done with it will work out cheaper than paying a smith for major surgery like reaming the bolt face

    you'd probably get $1300 for your 7mm-08 as set up with suppressor? and standard stock with a basic scope and rings if you have one lying about

    a 2nd hand but good nick tikka 7mmrem mag 800-1000
    plus $480 for an over barrel dpt fitted

    you'd only drop 2-300 cash on it

    that's what id do anyway been down the rebarrel route a couple of times and you don't gain all that much from a standard tikka.... tikka out the box with a good scope and a good handload should be a .5moa rifle
    Awesome reply, thanks for that. I may just buy the 7rem mag, sit it in my chassis and put the 7mm08 back into what ever the RM comes in.
    puku, 7mmsaum and 199p like this.

  11. #11
    Member Hunter_killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Light years between 6.5x55 and 7mmRem on all sorts of levels! You really do need to decide exactly what it is you want to achieve first. You could fit a 7mm barrel and ream it to .280AI, shift the bolt stop, no need to do anything with your bolt then, and performance is close to 7mm Rem Mag (not suitable for your shortarse barrel though) . Flag 6.5x55 in your rifle, if you really wanted to go that route, sell your 7mm08 and buy a 6.5x55 in a factory chambered rifle from the get go.
    I thought I replied to this, but apparently not lol.
    I'm looking at deer at 500m and and gongs at 1000m (max at this point)

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,605
    6.5x55 would do deer at 500 and gongs at 1000+ no issue with a good load and a good experienced shooter
    7mmrem mag with a 162amax or something similar is great but it still takes all the same calculations and slightly more expensive to shoot but the upside is it will have a bit more knock down for hunting at distance

    if you want something a little different get a 6.5x55 and get a gunsmith to re chamber it to 6.5-284

    have you tried 162 amax or similar in your 7mm-08 you may be surprised what that can do even with a short barrel I wouldn't be suprized if you could get that shooting deer at 500 and gongs at 1000 or better with some good load development and practice with making the calculations for the shot then dialing up etcetc
    Hunter_killer likes this.

  13. #13
    Member Hunter_killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    6.5x55 would do deer at 500 and gongs at 1000+ no issue with a good load and a good experienced shooter
    7mmrem mag with a 162amax or something similar is great but it still takes all the same calculations and slightly more expensive to shoot but the upside is it will have a bit more knock down for hunting at distance

    if you want something a little different get a 6.5x55 and get a gunsmith to re chamber it to 6.5-284

    have you tried 162 amax or similar in your 7mm-08 you may be surprised what that can do even with a short barrel I wouldn't be suprized if you could get that shooting deer at 500 and gongs at 1000 or better with some good load development and practice with making the calculations for the shot then dialing up etcetc
    Haven't tried 162 Amax. Had trouble finding Amax for 7mm. Wanted 140gr (as that is what I mostly use). Where would be a good place to look? I am getting about 2600FPS with 140gr nosler BTs and sub inch groups at 100.

    These are various groupings during load development. The one I went with is the 2 rounds off to the right of the centre (actually 3 rounds) the clover leaf was too slow for longer range hunting IMO (2400)

    Random point. Larger group top left was unsuppressed. Note the higher Point of impact...

    Name:  IMG_0371.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  563.8 KB

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,605
    yeah your pretty correct there at 2400 with a 140 bt you'd be at about 800ftlb at 500 they say you need 1000 min to safely kill a deer
    Hunter_killer likes this.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,545
    After chatting with andyanimal31 at the Toby shoot, it seems the 6.5x55 could be a good candidate for you.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WANTED:BOLT FOR A TIKKA 270 OR SIMILAR
    By Malhunting in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 16-07-2015, 11:54 AM
  2. Will a match barrel fit in a standard R93 Professional stock?
    By Tikka7mm08 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 08:57 PM
  3. Shilen Match 243AI barrel
    By tui_man2 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-03-2014, 07:46 PM
  4. Sell/ swap Hornady 223 75 gr BTHP Steel match
    By oneipete in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-02-2014, 06:04 PM
  5. Swap 7mm RM for 308 or similar
    By username in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!