Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Target rifle wanted .22

Target rifle wanted .22

Target .22 wanted.
    My best mates 15 yr old daughter is mildly autistic. She is an awesome kid who has the most amazing concentration, when she chooses to.
    The last year or so she has become very keen on shooting gongs with the .22s when we are away camping. She does very well, 16/20 hits on a 3in gong at 100yards with a cheap Outdoor Arms .22 with 3-9 scope.
    Long story short we are on the lookout for an entry level/cheapish target .22 to take her to the next level and try proper target shooting.
    They are Christchurch based, I'm in Nelson, so something near to either of us would be awesome.

She sighted in my SIL .243 on the weekend for her. 1/2 inch group at 100yards.

Scoped or apture target sights?

If you want apture canít really go past an old bsa martini international target rifle
    For a cheap Beginners rifle they shoot really nice they come up frequently for between 3 and 5 hundred bucks
    janleroux and Borris like this.

Forgotten but not gone
    There is a Russian target rifle on TM at present - complete in original box.
    ROKTOY likes this.
    Be more involved and less impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Target .22 wanted.
    My best mates 15 yr old daughter is mildly autistic. She is an awesome kid who has the most amazing concentration, when she chooses to.
    The last year or so she has become very keen on shooting gongs with the .22s when we are away camping. She does very well, 16/20 hits on a 3in gong at 100yards with a cheap Outdoor Arms .22 with 3-9 scope.
    Long story short we are on the lookout for an entry level/cheapish target .22 to take her to the next level and try proper target shooting.
    They are Christchurch based, I'm in Nelson, so something near to either of us would be awesome.

Good on you man. My daughter is diagnosed on the spectrum, and it’s so important for those kids to foster something that they love to do. Really helps keep them focused, because life isn’t easy for the poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    There is a Russian target rifle on TM at present - complete in original box.
    I have the same model in a hard wood case lined with felt. If you can get it to Chch, it's yours for $375.
    Offer for O.P. only
    rugerman, ROKTOY and 40mm like this.

Ive got a BSA Martini 22lr target rifle I bought on here a while back.
    Comes with a wooden carry case, sling and sights as in the pics below.
    From memory I paid $450 for it but your mate can have it for $250 plus freight if it would suit his daughter.
    Name:  IMG_1025.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  135.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1027.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  126.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1028.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  133.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1029.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  122.5 KB
    veitnamcam, johnd, Scouser and 8 others like this.

You have some nice options offered to you. I have a bsa century in tidy condition that shoots. Its kinda sentimental as its what i learnt to shoot with. She can have it if we can arrange it to get to you.
    Scouser, ROKTOY and Hermitage like this.

@ROKTOY I will be driving down from Taupo through Christchurch 20th July if that helps.
    ROKTOY and Hermitage like this.

Target .22 wanted.

Would the young lady be interested in shooting on a club range - indoor smallbore or outdoor fullbore?
    Fullbore can be done with a .223 which has little recoil.
    There are a number of smallbore clubs in and around Christchurch who generally have club rifles to use on their ranges.
    Most fullbore clubs are closed for the winter, though the Ashburton District Rifle Club is shooting once every 2 sundays on their range.

The Section 22 shoots run by Blair Gabbites are another pathway for young people to shoot 22s in a competition format, and its very youth friendly and inexpensive (apart from getting to Albury, but not so bad for a Cantabrian).
    blair993 likes this.

And while I think of it, a heavy barrel CZ 22 is an excellent choice for shooting gongs either informally or in competion such as Section 22.
    blair993 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Would the young lady be interested in shooting on a club range - indoor smallbore or outdoor fullbore?
    Fullbore can be done with a .223 which has little recoil.
    There are a number of smallbore clubs in and around Christchurch who generally have club rifles to use on their ranges.
    Most fullbore clubs are closed for the winter, though the Ashburton District Rifle Club is shooting once every 2 sundays on their range.
    She isn't too keen on crowds at present so just looking to give her the ability to get better on her own time/terms.
    We have considered a .223 in the near future as she quite enjoyed the 243 last weekend.
    Cyclops likes this.

@johnd @duckdog and @Sink1 thankyou for the offers, I will discuss them with my mate and get back to you all.
    @ONYA , thanks for the transport offer, I really appreciate it.

She isn't too keen on crowds at present so just looking to give her the ability to get better on her own time/terms.
    We have considered a .223 in the near future as she quite enjoyed the 243 last weekend.
    Some smallbore clubs may be able to offer shooting outside of club hours if the circumstances are explained.
    Just the family and a couple of club members.
    ROKTOY and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ONYVA View Post
    @ROKTOY I will be driving down from Taupo through Christchurch 20th July if that helps.
    Passing through Nelson by any chance?