Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Nibblet
  • 1 Post By Barefoot
  • 3 Post By djaxho
  • 2 Post By djaxho

Thread: Tarptent Stratospire 2

Tarptent Stratospire 2

Hey Everyone,

I've only used this tent 5 times. It's fared well in everything the fiordlands threw at it. But I'm moving and wont need a tent for the next year+

Here it is: https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

It sleeps 2 (they say it sleeps 3 but I haven't tried, maybe it does). Dual vestibules. Weighs only 1.3kg, but you can set up without the interior and use as a no-bottom shelter and in that case the thing weighs nothing, and rolls up very small. Also good for rain, when you want to stay under the shelter, detach the inner tent/mesh, pack everything up, all while staying out of the rain, then you just tear down the tent quickly and strap to your pack and your off. And for set up in the rain you can deploy the tent, then attach the inside to the shelter after it's up so it doesn't get all wet inside during set up.

I'm selling the tent for 400 NZD, I'm in wellington.

(note, this tent was set up incorrectly one of the first times using it which allowed a small breeze to pop it off the trekking poles and poke 2 holes in the top. These have been patched and don't affect it. I've since had this thing in rain and in winds that were unimaginably strong (actually snapped our neighbor's aluminium tent pole) in the fiordlands without issues.

I'll throw in the trekking poles and I have 2 extra msr goundhogs for the optional tension lines (note: set up the tent to be sturdy without the extra lines, in reality you shouldn't need them, then stake them in after it's up for added stability against rain/wind, don't use them initially to solidify the structure, this was how we ended up with the holes)

djaxho@gmail.com

Another interesting first post... How do we know to trust someone new to the forum?

Real good tents though these...

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Another interesting first post... How do we know to trust someone new to the forum?
    Well at least this has a decent spiel, few emails back and forth might be able to help.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

We were all first posters at some time, but yes a first post being a for sale is not a good look
    Shearer likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

It's my first post because I'm from California and not here for very long. I also know hunters seem to be the most dedicated outdoorsman and require more serious gear than most (my dad was a hunter, though I am not). So I figured I'd pass it along to people who would most need it around here and to some of whom fed me extremely well along the stewart island north west circuit

And as for "How do we know to trust someone new to the forum?," I don't know, maybe you can't, but if you'd like to have a look at the tent and see if you like it let me know.
    199p, gadgetman and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Fair enough I guess, I've been one of those hunters on the NW circuit and most ppl doing are good folk

Ejected
    Where abouts in California? I'm in Irvine for 3 years and wouldn't mind some advice for where and what to hunt etc.

I grew up in Northern, but also live a long time in San diego. I couldn't help you much with places to hunt, but if you're in to freedive spearfishing that's a different story

Ejected
    Been a while since I've done that, may have to be something I get back into

Anybody up for the tent?

FYI, Already sold.

Thanks guys, happy hunting
    LOC and Ryan_Songhurst like this.