Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chainsaw

Thread: TIKKA HUNTER / TIKKA T3 STOCK

Smile TIKKA HUNTER / TIKKA T3 STOCK

Hi Everyone
    I got a Tikka T3 stock in Left hand in pretty good condition, it comes with factory recoil lug and Limbsaver, and wonder if anyone is interested in swapping it for a T3 Hunter stock in Left hand also in good condition?
    I assume the Tikka Hunter stock fits a T3 ?
    Or maybe someone has got one for sale in left hand in case no one wants to swap?
    The T3 stock is on my .223 but I really prefer a wooden stock.
    If anybody can help that would be much aprecciated
    Please pm me if you are interested.
    Cheers

Keep an eye on boyds, managed to get a lefty thumbhole after 4months waiting. Has to be under $100us though. Also lefty thumbhole for a 10/22

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/rapid...loseouts/tikka

Just looked myself and there is a couple there that might work for you.... Had 2/5 stocks from boyds screwed up though, chopped in half and refund no problems

Thanks for that
    Not sure if I want a stock almost twice as heavy on my .223 though.
    How much do they charge on shipping to NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    Thanks for that
    Not sure if I want a stock almost twice as heavy on my .223 though.
    How much do they charge on shipping to NZ?
    Can't recall to be honest it, $70 us seems to ring a bell

you might mind it cheaper to sell your current T3 and buy one you want in wood stock. Especially given you r a leftie.

Selling my T3 ? oh no

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    you might mind it cheaper to sell your current T3 and buy one you want in wood stock. Especially given you r a leftie.
    Yeah. You would also get the bonus of a fluted barrel to somewhat compensate for the heavier wooden stock.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

hm, fluted barrel sounds tempting..
    Don't they use heavier barrels for the fluting and when the fluting is done it weighs similar to the standard barrel?

Just found this online...
    From Shilen Barrels FAQ

What about "fluting" a barrel?
    Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot.

Not sure if I want to drop that kind of coin on something that will save a very marginal amount of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    Just found this online...
    From Shilen Barrels FAQ

What about "fluting" a barrel?
    Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot.

Not sure if I want to drop that kind of coin on something that will save a very marginal amount of weight.
    Fair enough. Not something I have ever worried about in a hunting rifle (if that is what yours is) and if you are happy with the extra weight of a wooden stock you can get them unfluted too.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

@diana2 there's some one offering a leftie wooden Tikka stock on the FishnHunt forum - might be worth a look
    Shearer likes this.

Thanks chainsaw,
    I just read the comments on the FishnHunt Forum,-
    one stock is for a Tikka 595 (different to to the T3 and won't fit), and the other is for a complete Tikka rifle with suppressor.
    But thanks for responding