Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By madmaori
  • 4 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By Monk
  • 1 Post By JoshC

Thread: TRX Honda 420/500

TRX Honda 420/500

Looking for a tidy Honda TRX 420/500 2008 to 2012, in good condition, electrics all working, transmission solid etc etc kms not too much of any issue if the service books
    have plenty of entries along with the service workshop invoices. I have given up on Trade Me, good for parts only. Most bikes - what you see in the photos is not quite what you see on closer inspection.
    Consequence of this process is I have inspected some cleverly covered up bags of bolts!! Such a waste of time so I thought if any of the good folk on NZHS have a quad for sale or looking to sell in area
    from Whangarei to Taupo. Thanks in advance

That's weird a few of the mates have bought some decent quads off trademe for realistic $$$ , maybe you're expectations are to high and you should buy brand new??
    most second hand quads have seen work and haven't been cleaned and polished after any bit of use.
    my 2cents
    Smoking Joe likes this.

Briefly had a 420, imo the worst bike honda ever made, felt unstable on sidling, the auto gearbox was rubbish needed to be used in manual mode, good engine plenty of power etc but a dog to tow with as well. After 30 years jumped ship to suzuki.
    Rich007, BRADS, Monk and 1 others like this.

I had an awesome purchase off TradeMe. . Honda TRX 420 manual. Love it. Set up for hunting, winch, LED lights, etc etc. The 420's have EFI and are water cooled where as the 500's didn't get the make over till around 2012. Also 420 is just slightly smaller so makes trailering easier. Power Steer would be a nice addition though.

We ran 5 Honda 420's on our farm for awhile,absolute rubbish bikes,had endless break downs.Traded the lot 6 months later for Honda 500's.A much better bike.
    puku and BRADS like this.

Don't buy a 420, we tried two since 2008. Both heaps of crap, service costs on ours were in the thousands. I initially thought they were quite good being light and easy to handle, that proved to be the reason our last one was written off in a gully. Wouldn't touch another one.
    BRADS likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Yeah same as these other chaps.
    Only quad in 20 years of farming thats actually broken down and forced me to walk home was a honda 420.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Yeah same as these other chaps.
    Only quad in 20 years of farming thats actually broken down and forced me to walk home was a honda 420.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Jeeez the 420's look like a major swerve - the TRX 500's seem to be getting a bit better write up
    Thanks for the info!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Yep my TRX 500 has 35000kms clocked up. Had gearbox done as the 2005-08 used to shit first gear if towing, new slug & rings and front shocks & wheel bearings. Good for a few more in it's retirement as a hunting hack.

I agree. DON'T buy a 420!!! Worst bike I ever owned.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
    If my work annoys me, I cull them