Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: VX6 or something similar

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    personally think the "HD" thing is over-rated & priced. Have several VX6's and VX5, some HD some not. To my eyes, which admittedly aint great, I really stuggle to see much difference in optical quality ... certainly not enough to justify >$1k in price . But then again ya might just call me tight old bastard.
    Yeah definitely agree, the non-HD versions are excellent, I doubt many would notice a difference

Don't disagree but are the non hd model illuminated ?
    I personally am after a lit model and I thought only the later hd models are illuminated. Please by all means correct me if I'm wrong... most happy to not spend the extra k as well...
    born to hunt - forced to work

The difference between VX6 and VX6 HD is that the original VX6 doesn't have "HD" written after VX6. Seriously there is zero difference, I have more than one of both here and the performance is just the same, original VX6 scopes were of course available with firedot reticles as are the HD versions. HD versions have dial up windage, personal preference is for the firedot windplex reticle in the original VX6 with zero stop elevation turret. Flip up covers on HD versions are a PITA for most hunting, the neoprene bikini cover is way more practical and also protects the scope from physical damage
    TikkaNZ likes this.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I had both the VX-6 & HD at the same time. As mentioned above the HD had windage adjustment externally and the double turn elevation turret ZL2 plus a few more options of reticle over the original VX-6. I couldn't tell any difference optically by eye.

I got the ZL2 turret put on my VX-6 3-18x42 by Leupold in the US about a year ago, it's a great scope but it's actually surplus to my requirements now and will consider selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I had both the VX-6 & HD at the same time. As mentioned above the HD had windage adjustment externally and the double turn elevation turret ZL2 plus a few more options of reticle over the original VX-6. I couldn't tell any difference optically by eye.

I got the ZL2 turret put on my VX-6 3-18x42 by Leupold in the US about a year ago, it's a great scope but it's actually surplus to my requirements now and will consider selling it.
    How much did that cost you and what was the turn around?

I've got a VX-6 that I love, but I really want the ZL2 turrets. I was considering selling the VX-6 and buying a VX-5HD with ZL2
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

I have the vx6hd on my 338 in the big objective lense and have been very impressed with it. I don't use the lit reticle ironically as that is generally shooting in the open with plenty of light. I have not looked at purchasing scopes for a long time hence my ignorance on the older model specs. I thought the lit reticle was a fairly new common addition so wrongly assumed the earlier non hd versions probably didn't have that feature. Purely my own ignorance on show there......thanks for the info and correcting my wrong assumptions.
    But that's why we are here isn't it ... to be enlightened by people with more experience and expert advice on these sort of things...
    i am looking for a lit reticle for my bush rifle as , as you will all well know , it gets rather dark under the canopy long before the sun goes down completely and my eyes are reaching the point/age I struggle to see the fine reticle on a darkened animal and I am not one to guess where I am aiming , I prefer to be more precise.
    But anyway , starting to feel like I have hijacked the thread which is not my intention so will let the OP find his scope and perhaps list a WTB myself after xmas.
    TikkaNZ and canterbury hunter like this.

I have had several VX6 scopes fitted with ZL2 turrets. Did mine thru NZ Asia in Nelson, cost $250-270 from memory .
    They send the scope toLeupy in Aus or US depending on which is available
    Dorkus and canterbury hunter like this.

I have a VX6 3-18x44 fire dot which I really like as a multi purpose scope. That said the reticle is possibly a bit thick for longer range.

I'm currently waiting on a NX8 which should be here in December. I may sell the VX6 if I can't find a worth while use for it on another rifle.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    How much did that cost you and what was the turn around?

I've got a VX-6 that I love, but I really want the ZL2 turrets. I was considering selling the VX-6 and buying a VX-5HD with ZL2
    Chainsaw answered it for me. I sold 6HD, bought Phil's 5HD awhile ago to down size a bit.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Dorkus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I have a VX6 3-18x44 fire dot which I really like as a multi purpose scope. That said the reticle is possibly a bit thick for longer range.

I'm currently waiting on a NX8 which should be here in December. I may sell the VX6 if I can't find a worth while use for it on another rifle.
    It's the vx5hd version of that scope I am seriously considering if I buy new

Quote Originally Posted by 38 South View Post
    The difference between VX6 and VX6 HD is that the original VX6 doesn't have "HD" written after VX6. Seriously there is zero difference, I have more than one of both here and the performance is just the same, original VX6 scopes were of course available with firedot reticles as are the HD versions. HD versions have dial up windage, personal preference is for the firedot windplex reticle in the original VX6 with zero stop elevation turret. Flip up covers on HD versions are a PITA for most hunting, the neoprene bikini cover is way more practical and also protects the scope from physical damage
    I will correct this. The glass is different as Confirmed by leupold however both have such close quality almost no one would be able to tell. The HD also have the level function think indicated if the scope. Is canted left or right. The zl cl2 has obviously more revolutions. Also much easier to sell the HD. Both good but there are subtle differences that some will pay for. Its like a nice sake carbon like isnt 5x the rifle a howa is but people still buy them as they have things they are willing to pay extra for.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
    I've got a Vx6 3-18x44 CDS Fine Duplex
    Mint condition. With box and unused CDS token.
    $1600
    Thanks grasslands but I think I'll pass on it at this stage, if I could get a HD I'd prefer that

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    I have the vx6hd on my 338 in the big objective lense and have been very impressed with it. I don't use the lit reticle ironically as that is generally shooting in the open with plenty of light. I have not looked at purchasing scopes for a long time hence my ignorance on the older model specs. I thought the lit reticle was a fairly new common addition so wrongly assumed the earlier non hd versions probably didn't have that feature. Purely my own ignorance on show there......thanks for the info and correcting my wrong assumptions.
    But that's why we are here isn't it ... to be enlightened by people with more experience and expert advice on these sort of things...
    i am looking for a lit reticle for my bush rifle as , as you will all well know , it gets rather dark under the canopy long before the sun goes down completely and my eyes are reaching the point/age I struggle to see the fine reticle on a darkened animal and I am not one to guess where I am aiming , I prefer to be more precise.
    But anyway , starting to feel like I have hijacked the thread which is not my intention so will let the OP find his scope and perhaps list a WTB myself after xmas.

Your all good mate! just like you im learning off this thread too!

Not really sure what you are correcting but if it's in reference to my comment that "The difference between VX6 and VX6 HD is that the original VX6 doesn't have "HD" written after VX6. Seriously there is zero difference" - my comment was made with specific regard to the performance of the glass, not all of the various features that differentiate the models. You state "The glass is different as Confirmed by Leupold however both have such close quality almost no one would be able to tell" sounds a lot like what I was saying, and I don't need to guess at the comparative performance of those scopes as I have them, several. As far as the HD models being much easier to sell, they are typically $1k more expensive than the original models were just 3 years ago, do more expensive scopes sell easier?
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

My Mate has a VX-6 3-18x50 fine duplex. MOA dial, zero stop. Mint condition, he wants $1600.00 plus post. If your interested, pm me and i will give you his contact details
    canterbury hunter likes this.