Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Goosebayhunter
  • 2 Post By Husky1600
  • 4 Post By canross
  • 1 Post By cobber

Thread: Want to borrow a game cam

Want to borrow a game cam

So I have an annoying issue. Someone keeps feeding the neighborhood cats in my back yard. I keep finding sachets of cat food in the same spot down the back of my section, and frankly it's pissing me off. Especially after the cats have gotten into it and there are pieces of foil everywhere. This has been ongoing for 18 months and I'm fed up. They have to be coming into my carport and dropping them around the corner. Is there anyone in the timaru/south Canterbury area that would have a game cam I could borrow for a few weeks? There's a box in it if you do Name:  IMG_20190614_083919.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  5.23 MB

Quote Originally Posted by CamFlatt View Post
    So I have an annoying issue. Someone keeps feeding the neighborhood cats in my back yard. I keep finding sachets of cat food in the same spot down the back of my section, and frankly it's pissing me off. Especially after the cats have gotten into it and there are pieces of foil everywhere. This has been ongoing for 18 months and I'm fed up. They have to be coming into my carport and dropping them around the corner. Is there anyone in the timaru/south Canterbury area that would have a game cam I could borrow for a few weeks? There's a box in it if you do Attachment 113348
    Your aloud to trap cats on your own property if they are causing Issues.

Print out a flyer "cat trapping to commence on such date until all wandering cats have been removed"

Then get a live trap. And take them to the pound and just keep doing that until you get all the cats. Effectively she's be Pre baiting for you for a while now. Time to make the most of it.

Timms kill traps also work well on cats, but hey that's nothing to do with me

Good luck

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm a little less polite than goosebay, I hate cats. I will live capture them then take to my parents place and shoot them. I also use the neck breaking traps designed for possums from time to time. I don't have neighbours cats wandering into my house now.

I got a cat in the very last trap of 60 on my possum line 2 days ago.
    Absolutely made my day

Name:  cat in trap.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  81.1 KB

Being in an area where there are a lot of holiday homes.
    The cat population is constantly being refreshed with moggies that don't want to go back to the big smoke after tasting the local native birds.
    They are a bloody big problem and a very worthy challenge of hunting skill.
    Often seen late afternoon and mostly moving along at a good steady hunting speed.
    The young ones are less of a challenge and if seen can usually be box trapped with a rabbit or hare leg as bait.

A dish of milk, with antifreeze in it will finish them off very quickly, bit less than 50/50.
    Maca49 and Goosebayhunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    A dish of milk, with antifreeze in it will finish them off very quickly, bit less than 50/50.
    Here kitty kitty lol

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    I appreciate that people don't like cats but try to make it quick at least, antifreeze isn't a quick acting poison, it destroys their kidneys then lets them die from that. No really good excuse to be inhumane to animals, if they have to be killed make it quick and painless.
    rugerman, Bill999, Cliff and 1 others like this.

I could potentially get one for you in a couple of weeks. Its pretty far into the back country but once antlers drops its not needed so much. Where in timaru is your property?
    canross likes this.

I think the question was aimed towards finding the human whom was/is providing the food in the backyard by way of borrowing a Trail Camera? I might be able to help if cobber can't.

The idea of you @Husky1600 feeding any animal antifreeze is disgusting and quite worrying.

Na guys I don't want to kill them. The cats themselves aren't an issue, they just live around here. I just want to stop the person leaving cat food sachets on my yard! I think I have a hookup for a camera, but if it falls through @cobber and @Cliff I'll let you know

might be in your neck of the woods in a fortnight or so and could bring one with me

Seems a pretty odd thing to do to come onto your property to feed the cats
    Are you sure the cats aren't bringing them in and eating them there. Check for teeth marks on the sachets. I spose the camera will solve the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I got a cat in the very last trap of 60 on my possum line 2 days ago.
    Absolutely made my day

Attachment 113354
    Did you pluck it mate ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Seems a pretty odd thing to do to come onto your property to feed the cats
    Are you sure the cats aren't bringing them in and eating them there. Check for teeth marks on the sachets. I spose the camera will solve the mystery.
    True, that's very likely: Cats raiding a neighbours bin, dragging the sachets out to be peacefully licked in the next garden. I say eliminate all cats to enter property and problem solved. I have a couple pissing on my car at the moment, and they are about to learn a real final lesson (feral cats on overgrown iwi land over the back fence)
    Identify your target beyond all doubt