Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: WANTED; 1950's BRNO MODEL 5

WANTED; 1950's BRNO MODEL 5

Hello, anyone know of any Brno 1950's Model 1's or Model 5's for sale? Also can anyone tell me if the quality of a 1965 Model 1 is going to be anything like a pre '57 model 1. cheers

Hi gb67, I have 6 Brno's Rimfires right now, one Model 5 (58) but I'm not selling it right now, I must say my 63 Model 2 is the highest quality of the all in Metal finish & Wood, better than most Model 1's I have had & seen, the 1958 Model 5 I have now is the same quality as my 1968 Model 2, both nice but my 1995 CZ 452 is close in metal with nicer wood !

Hope that is of some help ?
    gb67 likes this.

I have a 1957 Model 2....did they make Model 1s after that?

MSL
    I had a ‘56 model 1 and it was not that impressive compared to fathers ‘74 model 5

Lots of excellent info on the history of these rifles over at rimfirecentral.com, in the CZ/Brno category. Of most significance may be posts from user "32wcf" - a kiwi living abroad who is most knowledgeable on the subject.

I have owned around 30 Model 1's, 2's, 4's and 5's over the past 20 years. All were excellent, with the edge going to the pre-'67ish era, when CZ started getting involved. I recently said goodbye to a '49 ZKW465, which, along with a '51 Mod 1, were two of the most stunningly machined factory rifles I have encountered.

The 'slickest' Brno I have met is my old mate's Mod 5 from the early '60s - something like 250,000 rounds down the pipe and still headshooting rabbits at 75m. Anyone who doubts this is entitled to their opinion.

Good luck with your search - be on Trademe at all times!

Yep I've read that post on rimfirecentral. com and there is what this guy " no-one" says on the same site. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=321158. So my next question because I had it the other way around is ,-Is a model 2 prefered over a model1? Is the trigger on a model 1 problematic?

Thanks. Sounds like a model 5 is the one to get so if you decide to sell let me know.

The Model 5 could be thought of as a Model 2 with a Model 1 barrel. I don't think I could recommend one model over the other, except to say that the Mod 2's and 5's I have had featured slightly better triggers, and slightly more user-friendly safety catches. A nice Model 1 however will hardly cause you grief. Buy whatever comes up pre 1967, as long as it is not an inflated price, and the barrel isn't bulged, it will be hard to go far wrong - and could always be sold.

Incidentally, I am not sure I am a fan of the 12-groove barrels, but I am not sure that I am not either... if I were choosing between rifles with 12-groove and standard, I would pick the standard.
    gb67 likes this.

My '57 model 2 I picked up for $190 in 1992 from a chap that had to surrender it into CHCH Central Police station where I met him to pay and collect over the counter. I've shot 1" 5 shot groups @100y with it. The trigger is better than would be expected for an old 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    The Model 5 could be thought of as a Model 2 with a Model 1 barrel. I don't think I could recommend one model over the other, except to say that the Mod 2's and 5's I have had featured slightly better triggers, and slightly more user-friendly safety catches. A nice Model 1 however will hardly cause you grief. Buy whatever comes up pre 1967, as long as it is not an inflated price, and the barrel isn't bulged, it will be hard to go far wrong - and could always be sold.

Incidentally, I am not sure I am a fan of the 12-groove barrels, but I am not sure that I am not either... if I were choosing between rifles with 12-groove and standard, I would pick the standard.
    Yes I think this is correct, I like the look of Model 1's but a 5 is more desirable with the newer features BUT some Model 2's I have had & have one still are better finished (don't really like the long barrel on my one) BUT I hate the look of those dam sights !

Would also move up one year, as my 68 Model 2 is good to, would go on to say, don't pass any up, have a look over them all as nice ones seem to appear with any year stamp, polished actions, as apposed to the bead blasted later actions, I have only seen on the Models 1 2 3 (?) 4, all my Model 5's were the low sheen finish, strange as my 5 is 58 & my nicer 63 2 is polished action ?

Then some nice CZ452-453 turn up, good stock shape, no sights, only missing the little ball bearing in the bolt handle, which no one misses & some super accurate, my 22Mag is amazing , only reason I kept it, out shoots them all, even my Anny, it could do with a up graded trigger how ever !
    gb67 likes this.

Nice pick up Tikka7mm08, they should of changed you with theft lol !
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Couple of photos.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    gb67 likes this.

Is that checking factory do you reckon ?

Yep.

The rear sights on the model 1's almost always have been removed and no longer around. And what is the problem with the trigger on the model 1's? I was after a model 1 as I much prefer the sights but then learn't that the model 5 is the best of both worlds and highly regarded. The finish on the early rifles seems to be much better. I'm also after a similar period Meopta, Kahles or similar euro scope to mount on the rifle. I'm a bit of a sucker for old stuff.
    Last edited by gb67; 09-02-2019 at 12:45 PM.