Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: WANTED .22 rimfire

WANTED .22 rimfire

ruger 10/22 wanted. open to anything else that resembles a half decent 22 aswell.
    dont really want to spend more than $800
    cheers

Are you wanting something to shoot or something to bling? If you are after a good shooter just get a Marlin 795 for $300, change the trigger return spring (free from a 3/5" floppy) and add your favourite scope and rings. If you are more after something to bling up then go the Ruger and throw another $1000 at it to get it to shoot. If you are not going to use a suppressor then another option is the Marlin 60 with a tube mag.
    Savage1 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

pm sent Daniel 12
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

more keen for a 10/22, preferably suppressed aswell.

The Marlin is the biggest selling 22 semi action and has outsold the Ruger 2:1 world wide but for some unknown reason the Ruger has traditionally had a bigger following here. The Marlin are known to be good shooters out of the box. When I was looking for a semi I jumped onto the rimfirecentral website (US) and did some poking around and noted that of the guys that had both the Marlin and Ruger they preferred the Ruger for fun and adding bling, but if they wanted to hunt they generally took the Marlin as it was more accurate. Which part of the country are you in?
    Savage1, Shaneo and Toby like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Good advice GM
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Currently in the manawatu area. I don't get out much, it'll only be used for the occasional rabbit/possum hunt and yea I kinda want something that ill be able to tinker round and experiment with, not so much bling though ha. Would you say the difference in accuracy is noticeable in under 50yds?

Yes it is noticeable. I do rabbit hunting with a fella that was into target shooting and he told me that semis are not accurate. So I told him what I was getting out of the Marlin and he raised his eyebrows in disbelief. After another one of the guys that joined the party told him that his results were similar to mine then the target shooter wanted to borrow mine for testing. The result was that the Marlin semis out shot most bolt action 22's for accuracy. The average Ruger gets 2" groups at 50m where the Marlin tends to be 0.6-0.7" at the same range and can go better. This doubles the effective shooting range when hunting. The target shooter now mainly uses a Marlin 60 which is the tube fed rifle that the 795 is based on. This thing shoots between 0.4and 0.5" at 50m.

ok cheers for that advice, ill definitely look into a marlin aswell

what scope are you running on your marlin?

I run a basic little Huntsman on the semi and a Mueller on the bolt action. They are both very accurate rifles for the money. The best thing when mounting a scope on the semi is to use a drop pin ring and drill into the top of the action (but not right through) and screw the pin into it to stop the scope and rings sliding. The Marlins are just such good value, and they peform.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Hell of an endorsement GM. Marlin should send you a free rifle in a calibre of your choice.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The shops love to sell the Rugers, and then they have a menu of bits you need to buy $$$$ before you walk out of the shop, just to get it to do some of what it should do from the factory. And they are still not accurate.

Fulla
    I love my 10/22 its my dads from the 70's it recently got me 2nd in a nzda shooting comp, with its old bsa 4 power scope which I couldn't even see the holes in the target with.
    maybe they don't make them like they used to?

you'll be glad to know gm that I bought a marlin 795 in the end ha
    gadgetman, ebf and Toby like this.