Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Wanted to buy .22LR or SWAP

Wanted to buy .22LR or SWAP

Well since my young fella's .22 is banned because it has a tube magazine and can hold over 10 rounds were trying to look on the bright side of things and thought we would see if anyone has anything available before we look for something new.

Needs to be accurate and lightish weight since it will be mainly shot off hand by my young fella. Bolt action and bonus if it is threaded or suppressed.
    We are in Gisborne but happy to travel to either Hawkes bay or the Bay of Plenty.

(Oh and if you happen to be interested in a nice custom .243 built on a VZ33 Mauser action, Timney trigger, suppressed, we could swap)

Sit tight , and get your tube mag made compliant . Its not difficult , and a heap cheaper than changing rifles.
    199p, timattalon and Pete_D like this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

I have a JW15 for sale in Hawkes Bay, comes as a bare rifle with 2 x 5 shot mags (work but not the smoothest, if you replace them with a 10 shot CZ mag and it will work perfectly). Its a factory 16" barrel threaded, I have polished the action up and its all very smooth and the trigger is now light and crisp. $150

Name:  JW.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  532.0 KB
    mudgripz, Maca49, Pete_D and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Sit tight , and get your tube mag made compliant . Its not difficult , and a heap cheaper than changing rifles.
    Yea, going to see what happens but in the mean time we can't shot it as is. I might be wrong but I don't think ours is going to be a simple modification.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    I have a JW15 for sale in Hawkes Bay, comes as a bare rifle with 2 x 5 shot mags (work but not the smoothest, if you replace them with a 10 shot CZ mag and it will work perfectly). Its a factory 16" barrel threaded, I have polished the action up and its all very smooth and the trigger is now light and crisp. $150
    That could be a good option mate. How does it shot ?
    Last edited by Pete_D; 01-05-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    That could be a good option mate, even as a stop gap. How does it shot ?
    From memory it was between 3/4" and 1" at 50m on CCI std, I dont remember grouping it on other ammo tho so it might be better on the winchesters or something else.

I did make up a custom suppressor for it which I might sell with it as well, It is an overbarrel mono core 6061 alloy baffle set with a carbon fiber tube which works very well but the stock would need a bit cutting off the front of it to fit.

Name:  20190124_110107.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  814.0 KB
    Pete_D likes this.

Sent you a pm Pete_D

That jw15 is a good deal,mine shoots mint.
    Pete_D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    Yea, going to see what happens but in the mean time we can't shot it as is. I might be wrong but I don't think ours is going to be a simple modification.
    Depends on the rifle, but most I have heard are relatively simple. I know Gunworks has started doing them.
    Pete_D likes this.

I would have thought pretty simple.
    Pin or shorten the tube, shorten spring and it's good to go.

But saying that I am no gunsmith

Thanks guys, indeed it does sound like modifying the tube mag is possible so we will look into that.
    Have sent pm to @Mintie but still also interested to any other options at this stage.

@Pete_D
    Ive cut down the mag on an old remington tube feed to see if it was doable with basic tools and it was
    Pretty easy
    I used a hack saw,file,and a drill
    I cut mine flush with the stock it only holds 5 now but I found that to look nicer than a half mag the down side is you have to remove the tube for loading as the cut out is under the stock but I prefer that anyway
    1. Take the tube off the rifle most are just held on with a small grub screw in the receiver
    And are simply just a tube with a small hole for that grub screw
    Assatain the amount that needs to be cut off and do a nice job with the hacksaw
    Tidy the cut up with a file mark and re drill the grub screw hole if there is one don’t cut from the top end as you will need to re cut the mag locking slots which would be a prick
    Reinstall to the rifle
    2 Disassemble the mag tube normally a pin the same one that rotates in the slots to Secure the mag in the rifle
    Shorten the correct amount it might be more or less than the outer tube depending on the model
    Do this from the top end where you took it apart from
    Re drill the hole for the Retaining pin
    Cut the spring to the correct length
    And Reassemble Literally took me 15 minutes once I worked out the measurements

If you’re not confident enough with tools or want an awesome job get a gunsmith to do it
    But it wasn’t that hard to do in the Garage
    I kept all the offcuts as proof if they ask how it was done

Was shooting the 5 shot today and it works perfectly
    Pete_D likes this.

Do not - repeat do not - cut the tube with a hacksaw.

Pull the inner tube , take to a competant engineer , get him to make an insert that is the length of the number of rounds you want to reduce by. Fit insert inside the spring , and attached to the far end steel button on the mag tube .

Its real simple in most cases , and doesnt ruin the aesthetics of the rifle.

Talk of hacksaws makes me feel ill.......

Sept it’s not permanent as the insert is removable so they may not Except that
    I have a couple of other tube feed 22’s which won’t be getting touched by myself I’ll get them done professionally before the end of the Grace Period

But I didn’t really care about fucking up the old remi as its a very cheap rifle
    And I would if gladly put a hacksaw through the middle of the action and chucked it if I screwed up

Im not Condoning doing it this way but if you have a $50 bsa you would like to keep it saves spending $100 plus at the gunsmith if you don’t mind a slightly rough job “as long as it works “ type deal
    Pete_D likes this.

Cheers guys for the ideas.