Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum

Thread: Wanted. Tree stand buy or borrow to try ?

Wanted. Tree stand buy or borrow to try ?

Im interested in catching up with anyone who might have a tree stand to sell or loan to me to try out?
    Or has some experience good or bad about using them.

Just starting hunting again after 2 moths rehab from accident in Southwestland.

Totally missed the red roar this year, but still hope to get onto a fallow buck in a couple of weeks.So hence the thoughts below.
    Took 2 German visitors for 3 days hunting on the Westcoast last weekend. Saw plenty of deer and brought a nice yearling red hind home for some fresh meat.
    Very easy going and almost flat land, so body coped ok.
    But got me thinking there are a couple of awesome spots ( isolated stands of very tall remnant trees in pasture ) I could set up a portable tree stand and ladder to view a vast area of good hunting that's covered in scattered gorse.
    The Germans reckon you want to be at least 6m above the ground so that your scent isn't such a big issue blowing across the hunting area !! that makes total sense... but its a long way to fall ( especially after the recent accident and multiple injuries I've used up a couple of lives !! ) and some of the ones on line look pretty flimsy !!
    Being that high would also give the best long range view and let you see well into the grazing between the scattered gorse.
    So any thoughts and experiences from those in the know would be much appreciated.
    Im going back in the spring when its dry enough to get one of the farm tractors around one paddock to build a low blind out of storm washed tree trunks from a side creek. Sneak into it early morning and have a huge area of good spotting available for up to 400m and around 270 degrees viewing.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...plb-use-19855/

Caretaker
    I would be tempted to make one

Study pics of them online, reverse engineer them off websites, then make yours stronger

I have one in a tree up don juan in the kawekas but its just a platform made from contorta branches tied together

Prob 5 metres off the ground on the uphill side

It allows me a stunning view of a clearing 420yrds away and its a target rich environment
    Pengy and Kiwi-Hunter like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

One type that stands out is the "Tree Lounge" but they're out of business ... which I guess is good if you were to reverse manufacture them.
    This link below is an old poor quality promo video that's a couple of hours long. Haven't looked at it all yet but they are shooting some awesome white tail bucks.
    The stand looks pretty safe and sturdy and those guys are pretty sturdy too in the videos ( built for comfort not for speed ! ).
    The Tree-Lounge Advantage II | Doovi
    Images is from second hand unit on armslist.com
    Name:  2997088_01_tree_lounge_tree_stand_climber_640.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  144.0 KB
    Something like this with a shooting rest / safety bar across the front would be interesting.
    The foot rest part extends out of the main seating unit.
    Rifle or bow tucked neatly along the side.
    Pretty well sorted idea.
    Must take note of how large the tree diameter really is in the field ... probably would want to do anything from 400 to 800mm ?

Sounds like the family run company folded when most US manufacturing went to China and head of company died.

That looks like a really good system, I have never used one but have been toying with the idea of building a permanent one, don't think I will now

And bloody yanks and there heart shots all those bucks shot and the only one that didn't bolt was shot with a bow by a grandma
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.