Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Kudu
  • 2 Post By dale
  • 1 Post By Pointer
  • 2 Post By Maxyboy
  • 1 Post By dale

Thread: Wanting a deer rifle!!

Wanting a deer rifle!!

Hi there,
    I'm after a deer rifle .308,.270,.243 something along the lines of these.
    Currently have a .303 enfeild and a Zamacola 12g double barrel that I would be keen to swap for one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Keep that .303! it looks like a nice tide example and there won't be a deer in NZ that will get up from that if you do your bit!
    Kiwi Greg, Pointer, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Keep that .303! it looks like a nice tide example and there won't be a deer in NZ that will get up from that if you do your bit!
    I agree. Keep the 303 and spend the money on a scope. No point changing to keep up with what people think is the hot rifle or calibre of the time.

hey Max

I took that .303 i brought off you out and sighted it in at 100 yards and i can definitely hit a deer with it at that range. just throw a scope on it. someone on here will have a decent scope for a good price

Hay will sell you a vx1 3-9x40 to you only $220 shipped
    Pointer and Skatieguy like this.

Yep swap the 12g Jabali (the going rate is a couple of hundred for a shitter, yours looks really nice) for a scope and put it on the 303. It might surprise you with a scope on it
    Scouser likes this.

That's a pretty good price for the scope would you be interested in swapping it for the shotgun? Thanks everyone for your help probably a pretty good option to try out the .303
    Scouser and Dan88 like this.

Sorry don't need a shotgun but I see your local more then welcome to check it out
    Danny likes this.

yep the 303 is a fine deer rifle as long as its got a good enough barrel to shoot 3 inches inches at 100m a deer's shoulder kill zone is around 4-6 inches depending on breed so if the rifle shoots 3 inches that's plenty for a bush gun as most of your shots will be under 50m net alone 100m in tight bush and 303 is very hard hitting

the only thing is weight the 303's are quite heavy which can be an issue if your luging it and all your other gear in to the bush for 6hrs I don't need to worried about weight as my legs don't work anyway so stuck on a quad bike but can understand why people on foot like to travel as light as possible
    there are 3 or 4 good options for around that $700 mark new off the shelf the marlin x7 and ruger American are both fantastic for the money I've owned both both are very accurate but if I was to recommend one of the two it would be the marlin as the build quality is a little better however I do like the fact that the ruger has a detach mag and a tang safety