Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 4 Post By timattalon

Thread: Winchester 1895 in 303

Winchester 1895 in 303

I have been asked to sell a rifle for an older gent that has given up his license. It has been checked out by a Gunsmith and while I would dearly love to giv him a few $$$ and keep it, I want to be fair on him and at least try to get him a fair price for it as I believe it is worth more than I can afford.

Gunsmith valued and gave it a once over and details are:

1895 Winchester Lever action rifle chambered in .303 British

It was the old fellows fathers rifle. Considering the gent in question is in his 70s I would imagine it has been in the family for most of its life as the fellow says his dad always had it....

The rifle is in shootable condition. Woodwork is rough, but still the original. Action is in good nick, and definitely safe to shoot. It will handle modern 303 ammo. Made in about 1907-1910. These are a very strong and well designed action. (These actions were also chambered ex factory in 7.62x54R for the russians - same calibre as the Mosins)

It has been rebarrelled with a No1 303 barrel but Gunsmith took pains to add that whoever did this job knew what they were doing and it was done pretty well.

Barrel has been slugged and it is a pretty good barrel. This barrel (and the action) appear to not have seen a lot of use. Action is showing its age and has been carried a lot.....

It is missing a take down screw so woodwork is a little loose fitting around the barrel but not hard to sort.

Lever action 5 shot with a fitted "internal" magazine.

Not really suited for a serious collector with the non original barrel but a good rifle none the less. Valued at around $700-$900. If the barrel had not been changed he said worth about twice this..

I will try to upload some pictures tomorrow evening and will happily answer any questions about it if I can. (Though most of my info comes from google....)

I would like to get the fellow as close to the $700 mark as possible as I cannot afford that much myself.

I though I would see if there is any interest here before I list it on Trade me in a week or so....

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I have been asked to sell a rifle for an older gent that has given up his license. It has been checked out by a Gunsmith and while I would dearly love to giv him a few $$$ and keep it, I want to be fair on him and at least try to get him a fair price for it as I believe it is worth more than I can afford.

It was the old fellows fathers rifle. Considering the gent in question is in his 70s I would imagine it has been in the family for most of its life as the fellow says his dad always had it....

The rifle is in shootable condition. Woodwork is rough, but still the original. Action is in good nick, and definitely safe to shoot. It will handle modern 303 ammo. Made in about 1907-1910. These are a very strong and well designed action. (These actions were also chambered ex factory in 7.62x54R for the russians - same calibre as the Mosins)

It has been rebarrelled with a No1 303 barrel but Gunsmith took pains to add that whoever did this job knew what they were doing and it was done pretty well.

Barrel has been slugged and it is a pretty good barrel. This barrel (and the action) appear to not have seen a lot of use. Action is showing its age and has been carried a lot.....

It is missing a take down screw so woodwork is a little loose fitting around the barrel but not hard to sort.

Not really suited for a serious collector with the non original barrel but a good rifle none the less. Valued at around $700-$900. If the barrel had not been changed he said worth about twice this..

I will try to upload some pictures tomorrow evening and will happily answer any questions about it if I can. (Though most of my info comes from google....)

I would like to get the fellow as close to the $700 mark as possible as I cannot afford that much myself.

I though I would see if there is any interest here before I list it on Trade me in a week or so....
    Any chance of some pictures?
    Maca49 likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post

Older gentleman IN HIS 70s Id understand if he was in his 90s.... just!!
    Steve123 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Banned
    I'll take it. PM sent.

Damn, if it was in .405 I would’ve been all over it.

And that Carlsen is how stuff accumulates, by buying stuff before your other stuff is sold.
    Still like to see some photos, hopefully its hg marked as that adds to the interest

Looks like it might be sold.......but here are some pictures for everyone to look at....I would have liked to keep it for myself, but unfortunately I am shy on funds and do not want to short change the owner. He has no idea what its worth and I could have simply offered him anything and he would have been happy, but I would not be happy with myself if I did that.

Name:  IMG_0616.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  2.72 MB
    Name:  IMG_0618.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  4.43 MB
    Name:  IMG_0621.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  826.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0619.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  4.59 MB
    Name:  IMG_0623.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  3.47 MB
    Name:  RS IMG_0626  RS.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0625.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  3.55 MB
    Name:  IMG_0620.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  4.43 MB

I would add that after looking at the images, the woodwork does look nicer in those that it is in reality. It looks like it is smoother and more shiney than it is in truth.

Banned
    Sent you another PM Tim.

Good on you Tim. I’m glad Carlsen Highway saw it first, otherwise I probably would’ve felt compelled to buy it.