Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

On the off chance.

I've got approximatly 50 smallish pines I want to drop and I need a chipper to get rid of the branches, it's my summer project.

After a 10 - 15hp+ or possibly a tractor mounted one.

Any one got one lying around they want to sell or hire/lease.

Hire quip has them that take up to 225mm branchers as im doing the same at the moment

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    On the off chance.

I've got approximatly 50 smallish pines I want to drop and I need a chipper to get rid of the branches, it's my summer project.

After a 10 - 15hp+ or possibly a tractor mounted one.

Any one got one lying around they want to sell or hire/lease.
    As I make trees smaller for a living.You are wasting time,money and you wont be able to justify $150k minimum for a decent machine.Get them down and get a contractor with the gear in.Hire equipment from hirepool are toys.A decent a 18-20 inch chipper machine feed will process a minimum 7 ton every 15min.

Yeah as much as I'd love to the terrain doesn't really allow for large gear unless on a tractor, I only want to chip the branches as I'll just ring the trunks up.

I don't mind a smaller machine, I'll just do it at my own pace over a few months. Those big machines need a crew to operate. I also don't want to smash all of the natives that are coming up underneath so prefer a one man band doing one tree at a time.

Hire pool here only have the small machines, and cowleys hire want 300 per day which seems a bit excessive.

Yeah as much as I'd love to the terrain doesn't really allow for large gear unless on a tractor, I only want to chip the branches as I'll just ring the trunks up.

I don't mind a smaller machine, I'll just do it at my own pace over a few months. Those big machines need a crew to operate. I also don't want to smash all of the natives that are coming up underneath so prefer a one man band doing one tree at a time.

Hire pool here only have the small machines, and cowleys hire want 300 per day which seems a bit excessive.
    There are ways to do it with minimal disturbance.Gear now days doesn't require heaps of staff.Most of our stuff is on remote control from the machine feeding it.You may have the convenience of doing it yourself if you buy something but it will cost you more as your own time isnt free as it will take far longer and you will find out the true cost of running machinery.Also the contractor should be able to grind stumps as well if needed.

There are a numner of ways to address this. If you are near Chch (and you dont need to answer that) the I have found that Smiths hire is well cheaper that Hire pool or Hirequip or Kendards. I use a small domestic 6.5 horsepower one for branches ip to about 3 or 4 inches thick. I cut the rings up and split them, and I cut the branches larger than 6" with the chain saw. Anything smaller is chopped up with the drop saw and the twiggy bits go through the same mulcher as the 3" branches. Essentially I will use anything bigger than an empty toilet roll as firewood.

It looks like this one but RED Masport Chipper/Shredder, New Engine | Trade Me

though I did look at the Hansa ones too. Hansa C6 Chipper | Trade Me

Not really suitable for a large number of trees but shitty stuff that you dont want for wood can be dumped her by weight so I wait until its dry then take it to the greenwaste where their chipper is big enough for whole trees....

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    There are a numner of ways to address this. If you are near Chch (and you dont need to answer that) the I have found that Smiths hire is well cheaper that Hire pool or Hirequip or Kendards. I use a small domestic 6.5 horsepower one for branches ip to about 3 or 4 inches thick. I cut the rings up and split them, and I cut the branches larger than 6" with the chain saw. Anything smaller is chopped up with the drop saw and the twiggy bits go through the same mulcher as the 3" branches. Essentially I will use anything bigger than an empty toilet roll as firewood.

It looks like this one but RED Masport Chipper/Shredder, New Engine | Trade Me

though I did look at the Hansa ones too. Hansa C6 Chipper | Trade Me

Not really suitable for a large number of trees but shitty stuff that you dont want for wood can be dumped her by weight so I wait until its dry then take it to the greenwaste where their chipper is big enough for whole trees....
    $69 per tonne plus transport to greenwaste shit gets expensive fast doing it this way.

Pile the branches with the tractor and burn the slash? Ive done that on a ha block of pines we removed, sold the butt logs for strainers and posts pushed everything into 4 piles and burnt them.
    I would suspect if you chipped them the resulting piles of mulch would take years to rot and the sweet cloying smell while it does is a bit overpowering

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    As I make trees smaller for a living.You are wasting time,money and you wont be able to justify $150k minimum for a decent machine.Get them down and get a contractor with the gear in.Hire equipment from hirepool are toys.A decent a 18-20 inch chipper machine feed will process a minimum 7 ton every 15min.
    So are the 50hp hyd feed ones from hire pool a waste of time as I have about 15 Avo trees to mulch

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'll come up for a bonfire, I'l bring @Hunterluke to light it

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I'll come up for a bonfire, I'l bring @Hunterluke to light it
    Ill come watch with a few brews mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Doing 50 plus trees with those hobby garden chippers would be an exercise in madness...

I can sell you a 50 inch three knife morbark? Then you can just chip the whole tree. Takes 5 minutes to get it up to speed, and 10 minutes to stop after you turn it off quicker than cutting it into firewood, and you can just shovel the dried chip in to you fire instead of pesky split wood!
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Ill come watch with a few brews mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Shes a fair way out of Hawkes Bay mate, you may start shaking
    BRADS and Nibblet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    $69 per tonne plus transport to greenwaste shit gets expensive fast doing it this way.
    Depends on how they charge for it. $69 per ton is by weight so let it dry out and in summer the weight comes down or burn it in a bonfire. One dump I used to go to charged by volume up until recently so if you squashed / mulched it down it was cheap as, but going by weight there is no point to mulching as it is still the same weight when finished.

50 pines is a lot too, but he said smallish so depending on the size there may not be a huge volume left. Normally all we have left is twiggy scrubby bits that go through the small mulcher easily. Otherwise see if you can get one of the chipper attachments that digger use to chip the tree without cutting it down.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKg0gbRFns

They didn't look that small