Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTB: 1 man tent

1 man tent

Hi Guys

1st post in this forum, usually lurk in 'the other one'. I've been after a 1 man tent for a while now, but always seem to miss out on them when they come up for sale so thought id try a WTB post..

Does anyone have a spare 1 man tent they want to part with? Looking for something that can handle a bit of wind up on the tops.

Cheers

Dan

What sort of coin are you looking at spending mate? Also are you after something like the really lightweight one man tents or something a bit heavier but bombproof

Open to suggestions mate, hoping for under $250, I realise thats not going to buy me the best in the business but I can compromise on a bit of extra weight and might have to find a more sheltered spot at times

Keep an eye out for an Exped Mira I or Vela I. Save as a search on trademe. I picked up an almost new Vela I for $180.

Exped Mira I Tent - Bivouac Online Store

Exped Vela I UL Tent - Bivouac Online Store
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Have a look at the Zempire Mono.
    I have been using one quite a bit lately and it has stood up well to high winds and some wet nights on the hill.

i have heard good things about the huntech one man bivvy tent and that is about $190. I use the one man northridge which i picked up new for $80~ and it is fine.

Macpac microlight on sale....bloody great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Macpac microlight on sale....bloody great.
    Every one man I looked at "unavailable on line" then "out of stock"
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

That is a shame...got mine in a sale, and can't say enough about them.

Tikka7mm08 - no disrespect but I spent a couple of nights in one (the MP mircolight) on a winter Fiordland trip and I think there are better options. Don't get me wrong, I didn't get very wet (only condensation) and it stood some high winds.

I found it "fussy" to pitch, on uneven ground it tended to sag in just where you didn't want it to and touch your sleeping bag. Its entirely conditions dependant but it has a lot of mesh, which isn't as warm in winter conditions although the mesh aids ventilation.

Eventually I got a One Planet Goondie, its a similar design and weight but the interior is subtlety better, walls are a bit steeper and don't touch your bag and it feels roomier plus its not as fussy with its pitch. The downside of the Goondie is it can't be pitched fly first or fly only, that doesn't bug me but some people don't like it. Condensation can also be an issue but it doesn't get on you bag as much as some tents.

Cheers

Yes I wouldn't rely on it for a Fiordland tent, but in all other respects - price, weight, performance, ease of use - reckon it does well (but I haven't owned a whole lot of 1-man tents, and wanted something a step up on a huntech bivvy).

Appreciate the suggestions guys I'll keep an eye on Tme for these models