Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: WTB 12g slugs

WTB 12g slugs

looking to buy some 12gauge slugs, all the gunshops around me are sold out, have fal and cash
    Last edited by shooter_013; 04-03-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Roughly what area do you live?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

plenty on trademe..... just buy box of say trap load and swap out shot for cast pill and recrimp as best you can...asuming use is for bail gun type ranges you wont notice difference but your wallet will....you can also use round lead sinkers once you suss out correct size.... you arent dealing with huge pressures in shotgun shell and arent looking for moa accuracy so why bother remortgaging the house???
    heck back in bad old days my old man was known to pinch glass marbles out of big bros toy box and shoot bailed pigs with them!!!!!!! just aswell we werent eating close to bullet path.
    nickbop likes this.

Grandad and dad were even cheaper, would prise open a paper shell take the over shot card out and drip candle wax in till it was full then stick the card to the hot wax.
    Mum got really annoyed as they did this on the kitchen table and somehow always managed to spill shot and cover the table with wax droplets.
    They hang solid for 30 or so feet and drop things as well as a solid.
    nickbop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter_013 View Post
    looking to buy some 12gauge slugs, all the gunshops around me are sold out, have fal and cash
    Where about are you?
    www.allaboutenfields.co.nz dedicated to a great old rifle thatís still knocking them over!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Grandad and dad were even cheaper, would prise open a paper shell take the over shot card out and drip candle wax in till it was full then stick the card to the hot wax.
    Mum got really annoyed as they did this on the kitchen table and somehow always managed to spill shot and cover the table with wax droplets.
    They hang solid for 30 or so feet and drop things as well as a solid.
    the trouble with that idea is they get warm in your pocket and them sort of come unglued again...been there and tried that..... maybe if you used some better glue to hold end in place it might work better,refolding star crimps is finicky business ,easy with solid as it will stay in place if you invert star crimp.

This was kitchen table diy reloading assisted by a bottle of whisky if i recall correctly. I have done it a few times but run the cartridges through the mec 600 to redo the crimp and they do work quite well.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the trouble with that idea is they get warm in your pocket and them sort of come unglued again...been there and tried that..... maybe if you used some better glue to hold end in place it might work better,refolding star crimps is finicky business ,easy with solid as it will stay in place if you invert star crimp.
    I recall a story of my grandfather doing similar, till one crimp wouldn't stay down, bit of tape sorted that, till it blew the breach apart!

now i just roll my own, no tape needed, in fact only a slight roll crimp is all thats needed!
    Name:  IMG_1582.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  1.26 MB
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.
    www.allaboutenfields.co.nz dedicated to a great old rifle thatís still knocking them over!

Plastic hulls really do roll crimp bloody easily dont they.

Beware of using wax, have heard of it building up inside the barrel and increasing pressures radically....

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    I recall a story of my grandfather doing similar, till one crimp wouldn't stay down, bit of tape sorted that, till it blew the breach apart!

now i just roll my own, no tape needed, in fact only a slight roll crimp is all thats needed!
    Attachment 83756
    They look the business. You sticking them through my old defender?

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Beware of using wax, have heard of it building up inside the barrel and increasing pressures radically....
    That could be true but with modern plastic cup wads its the plastic that contacts the barrel not the shot charge. Only solids as far as i know still use card wads and bare lead.

I've got some of the Lyman 525 slugs that fit into a plastic wad if you wanted to try that route.
    Name:  525-lyman-sabot-slug-12.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  101.5 KB

If hes not I am, have always thought of buying a slug mold but shoot so few. Still that super sized air rifle pellet looks cool.
    Beaker likes this.

just gave mine away, they were fiochi made for military use. tungsten inside brass inside lead. bloody hell penetration was overkill !
    Tertle, Beaker and 223nut like this.