Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Sapper

Thread: wtb bayonet

wtb bayonet

After a bayonet for a mk1 smle, can anyone help?

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Unless there is a friendly member on this board who wants to quit one, your best choice is TradeMe for example

Bayonet & Scabard | Trade Me

i strongly suggest you also check the prices obtained by those that sold on TradeMe as sometimes bidders go crazy and pay way too much.
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

Been keeping an eye out for one on trade me, are they getting quite hard to find?

The 1907 pattern for your SMLE number 1 were produced in such numbers that they are NEVER difficult to find.

The difficulty, if it is one, is that often they are sold without a scabbard. If you want a scabbard as well, then you may have to wait and will of course pay more.

If you are looking for a "minty" one, bear in mind that they are over 100 years old , then they are around but appear less often and command a higher price, about $300 is the most reasonable I have seen. There was one for $2000 + but of course that was a pipe dream. I suggest $around 150 is a going rate and if you can get a bayonet and scabbard in good condition for less, then go for it.

Here is a link to closed auctions so as you can see for yourself.
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

where is the year inscribed on them, I have one but I might need a magnifying glass to read it nothing to do with poor eye sight, more to do with poor inscribing
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTY View Post
    where is the year inscribed on them, I have one but I might need a magnifying glass to read it nothing to do with poor eye sight, more to do with poor inscribing

OK, here is an example of a 1907 Hooked Quillon bayonet. Ignore the "hook" which was subsequently removed from all of them which is why they now attract enormous prices, but I use this picture as it is an excellent example of where to find the "1907" stamp of the 1907 pattern. They were continued to be manufactured without the hook until superseded by the introduction of the SMLE number 4 rlfle and the associated much shorter "pig sticker" bayonet.

Quote Originally Posted by chric1 View Post
    After a bayonet for a mk1 smle, can anyone help?
    Tauranga gun show 2 weeks!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Sorry..........Better picture.

Name:  Pattern 1907.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  194.1 KB
    Maca49 likes this.

Cheers for the info might have to have a loook into this gunshow