Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By pdw

Thread: WTB: Brno model 21, 7x57.

pdw

WTB: Brno model 21, 7x57.

Hi all, looking for a Brno model 21 in good condition, 7x57 caliber. Shot a stag on my wedding morning with an old one lent by a friend back in 2014, havenít managed to get hold of one since. Any help appreciated greatly. Thank you, Paul.

You shot a Stag on your "Wedding" morning ?????
    That could potentially be an interesting Yarn to share here

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by pdw View Post
    Hi all, looking for a Brno model 21 in good condition, 7x57 caliber. Shot a stag on my wedding morning with an old one lent by a friend back in 2014, haven’t managed to get hold of one since. Any help appreciated greatly. Thank you, Paul.
    Hey fella, you are way down the queue for one of these...

pdw

'The wedding stag yarn'

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    You shot a Stag on your "Wedding" morning ?????
    That could potentially be an interesting Yarn to share here
    Just remember you asked for it...We got married at a favourite farmstay cottage in the lower north island, March 2014, that also happens to have a few deer running about on the place. I went up the night before to put up the marquee, set out furniture, etc etc. The fiance and co were due around mid morning to start getting ready, guests about lunch time. I got everything done the night before, so decided to get up at the crack of sparrows' to go for one last hunt as a single man, shock horror, I had rifle, binos, rangefinder, knife etc, etc, but no ammo! I knew the farmer had an old musket of some sort, so i left the stainless sako looking a little dejected and knocked on the door feeling a bit sheepish. He grinned and handed me an ancient-looking thing with more than a few stories to tell, sold to him by a retired culler some years previously. I decided to go for a simple, old school hunt. Me, the gun, a knife and my huntaway. After quietly walking around we spied a young stag grazing in the shade under a tree. The old post reticle, 4 x zoom and double set trigger wasn't what i was used to, and neither was the low powered US ammo. The first shot went a bit low, clipping the brisket and resulting in a short run before the stag stopped to look back. The second shot, with some hasty hold over applied drilled him straight through the shoulder at about 200yds, and my wedding stag was on the deck. The rifle was handed back with gratitude, the meat was shared with the guy who'd helped with the set up, and the wedding went off perfectly. I loved the old world feel of the brno, the combination of blued metal, slim walnut and european styling, and hence I've been craving one ever since.

Doesn't everyone go hunting on their wedding day?...

They're fantastic rifles, that's for sure.

I hate to say thhis but you just missed a nice one on here in 8x57 by a couple of days.

Graham Champion at CAC often has one or three of these

pdw
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Graham Champion at CAC often has one or three of these
    Ive emailed him but haven't heard back yet, i note he hasn't been selling on trademe recently?

Quote Originally Posted by pdw View Post
    Just remember you asked for it...We got married at a favourite farmstay cottage in the lower north island, March 2014, that also happens to have a few deer running about on the place. I went up the night before to put up the marquee, set out furniture, etc etc. The fiance and co were due around mid morning to start getting ready, guests about lunch time. I got everything done the night before, so decided to get up at the crack of sparrows' to go for one last hunt as a single man, shock horror, I had rifle, binos, rangefinder, knife etc, etc, but no ammo! I knew the farmer had an old musket of some sort, so i left the stainless sako looking a little dejected and knocked on the door feeling a bit sheepish. He grinned and handed me an ancient-looking thing with more than a few stories to tell, sold to him by a retired culler some years previously. I decided to go for a simple, old school hunt. Me, the gun, a knife and my huntaway. After quietly walking around we spied a young stag grazing in the shade under a tree. The old post reticle, 4 x zoom and double set trigger wasn't what i was used to, and neither was the low powered US ammo. The first shot went a bit low, clipping the brisket and resulting in a short run before the stag stopped to look back. The second shot, with some hasty hold over applied drilled him straight through the shoulder at about 200yds, and my wedding stag was on the deck. The rifle was handed back with gratitude, the meat was shared with the guy who'd helped with the set up, and the wedding went off perfectly. I loved the old world feel of the brno, the combination of blued metal, slim walnut and european styling, and hence I've been craving one ever since.

Doesn't everyone go hunting on their wedding day?...
    Great story
    Hunting on wedding day?? - shooting yes :-)
    I have had two shots now - think will leave it at that

Hope you get the Brno - I have the .22 - lovely - had a 601 270 which my mate in sim area to your wedding stay still has
    Good luck