Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm
  • 1 Post By Gapped axe

Thread: Wtb cheap 410 for young fella

Wtb cheap 410 for young fella

How's it going I have young fella I take out hunting and now duck shooting I'm after the cheapest (safe) single shot 410 maybe 20 gauge so he can shoot with me doesn't have to be flash cheers

How Olds the young fella

11 mate

What part of the country are you?
    Cody.a likes this.

I'm in Dunedin

I have a mate with a barely used 410 pump youth model. I know you mentioned cheap , which this wont be , but it will be sensibly priced. If you are interested I can get you his contact details.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

I got a 410 for the son when he was 6yrs. waste of time for him, but great for me. Rob Dollimore cut down a 12g for me and I used light loads, perfect. We used to add to the stock as he grew. Still got the 410 and I use it on Magpies and Fallow. The small 12g I passed on to a young fella down the road, could track it your keen.
    tetawa likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

If you were central north island you could have loan of one, but bit of a hassle with the distance.

Yeah that's a idea gapped axe how much would you be after roughly?

Go for a 20 gauge

would be postage if I can get it. plus some more info
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Yeah that's no problem at all give me pm if ya find it and we can go from there mate if you like cheers!
    Cody

Hi all - I cringe when I hear about a person looking for a light shot gun for his son/daughter/partner etc.
    The reason I say this is because more often than not, unbeknown to the person trying to do the right thing - the gun will kick the shit out of the poor recipient.
    I have had a lot of experience in this area and I strongly recommend that you fire the "loaner gun" yourself to compare the recoil of the gun/ammo combination with the gun you are currently using.
    What a lot of people don't realise is that 410 and especially 20g have a high recoil. This is because the ammo being using is a heavy hunting load and the gun is light weight.
    Unfortunately your options are limited since they took away lead shot from the 12ga, however not yet lost while the 20ga can be used with lead.
    When we had the use of 12ga I brought a cheap stock and shortened it to fit kids - the loads I started kids on (7/8 oz of 6 shot) an adult could easily fire with one hand. Then each year as the kid got bigger, I would up the load a bit. I'd suggest you get a 20g - preferably a semi - and reload some very light loads. If the kid is small - the load will probably not cycle the action - thats a good thing for a new shooter anyway. Let them do finishing shots for you.
    For the sake of your kid - please be mindful of the recoil. What happens is that the high recoil bounces the brain inside the skull and that is not good for young children.
    Cheers

410 is the worst shotgun for duck hunting. Only person who should use it should be an experienced hunter. I started at 11 (small lite fulla) with a 20 gauge under over youth model with 26 inch barrel. Didn't really like it for the fist few shots but was too keen not to shoot. Use 24 gram 7/8 7.5 win clay loads for ducks deadly inside 30 meters. Go for a 20 gauge and use lite loads if he keen enough he probably won't fell it when shooting ducks ( that's what it was like for me). Only thing is fish and game say this will be last season for lead in sub gauges excluding 410. GO FOR THE 20 GAUGE.
    Just my opinion and experience. Get the young fulla using Ole raspy.
    Bring on opening morning