Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: WTB decent binoculars, 8x or 10x

WTB decent binoculars, 8x or 10x

I like my old Russian made 8x30 (bought back in early 1980) but want a decent set of bino's for carrying in the 4x4.
    Not hunting anymore just travelling/viewing and want a decent WA view.
    Had a trawl through the local shops and Trade Me.
    Looking for 8x42 or 10x42 or even into something 10x50.
    Jeez, is 'everybloodything' made in China these days?
    Leupold, Made in Japan would be fine, but not the China made models.
    Looks like all other USA bino's are China made now.
    Even Leica have China made models. What is the world coming to?
    Don't want bashed and buggered.
    Late model, mint condition would be great!
    Or, if you own a great set of bino's what make/model is it and why is it so good in your estimation?
    Steiners are German made but still not optically great. Nikon are China made.
    Minox are German made but can't find out much about them yet.
    May have to bite the bullet anyway and buy Konus as they have reasonable optics going by online reviews (but they are made in China....of course!).
    Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hi I have a pair of minox hg 10x43 still like new condition paid about $1600 for them would let them go for $900?

What would you like to spend?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Have a pair of leupold mckenzies and love them, went into h&f and decided not to look at the price tags.. (dangerous) they were the ones I liked best and a lot cheaper than some I tried. Seen a few pairs on the island with birdwatchers and everyone I have askedhas loved them so far

I have Leica Ultravid 10X40 purchased around 25 years ago and have been well used. Cost a small fortune at the time.
    I needed a minor repair done on them two years ago. The NZ agent sent them back to Germany and they were returned to me 6 weeks later at no cost not even shipping costs. (original guarantee was 10 yrs)
    I thought that they had sent me a brand new pair and had to check the serial number to confirm that they were mine.
    Leica after sales service is first rate.
    Timmay, mikee and Pengy like this.
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

Wow, you guys are quick.
    I've only been looking in the $500 to $750 range. After that I get into 'Mrs is grumbling territory'.
    I did think that would get something reasonably optically capable of being called a 'binocular', but my search so far shows that my old Russians are well up there in their construction and viewing abilities.
    I have no illusions about most bino's not being in the same camp as Swaroski or some proper Leicas, but thought surely that should get 'something' nice crisp and clear with no funny bits falling off or breaking after the first week as I've read so much about online.
    Seems a worldwide problem. China made seems hit and miss (mainly miss at the moment).
    I have only just read since starting this thread that Steiner and Minox are both marked as Made in Germany, but under EU rules they can say that as long as only 10% of the product is actually made in Germany.
    So make the neck strap and lens covers (as an example) in Germany and have the bino made in China maybe then proudly say 'Made in Germany', and make the price reflect that status.
    It all seems so dodgy.
    Not dissing your bino's Dale. But $900 would get me in the deepest poo!
    Thanks for the offer though.

@Grey Kiwi would go $800?

Some years ago I bought a set of Bushnell legend binos, Japanese made.
    Lower mid priced, I think the cost either $699 or $649 back then.

I have friends with top of the line and yes, they have far better lens especially as light fades, but even in good light you know you are looking though a superior product.
    I cannot complain too much as I have been well served by these as a reasonable open country Bino for a reasonable price.
    dirtyhabit likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have a set of Leupold gold ring 8-12x42s that I would take $750 for. They have sat in my cupboard unused for quite a while and have had very little use.They can be changed from 8 to 12 power with the turn of a knob, very useful.

Thanks dale, and dedubyah.
    I'll take a couple of days to thunk this all out!
    There may be others answering too, so will keep an eye on this page for a few days first.
    Much appreciate your time and help so far guys.

jump on trademe and look up vortex. There is a guy in aussie who exports them to NZ. Can get diamonback 10x42s for $399 NZD including shipping and they have amazing glass. A guy on the forum got some a while back and said they arrived in a couple of days.
    GWH and CooeeBay like this.

Meopta meopro - kilwell are the importers - can buy direct or any of their stockists.

Can't go wrong and around your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    jump on trademe and look up vortex. There is a guy in aussie who exports them to NZ. Can get diamonback 10x42s for $399 NZD including shipping and they have amazing glass. A guy on the forum got some a while back and said they arrived in a couple of days.
    I also purchased a pair of these, however got them landed new for about $280. Cheap as chips, will do the job for now.

GWH
    +1 for Vortex Diamondback 10x42s. I have them and have tested against $800 leupold and $1000 Zen Ray's. The Vortex are just as good if not better.

Best warranty in the business. Great value for money. I also have 3 Diamondback scopes and as of yesterday a Vortex Viper HS-T scope. If you cannot tell already I rate their gear.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Check out Auction 1057000865 on TradeMe. I have a pair of Pentax binocs top quality but 20x50 (no substitute for horsepower) plus a good tripod for static work $250 for both. I also have a pair of Japanese Asahi Pentax in 10x50 very crisp and clear. If interested pm me with a phone number and I will give you a call to discuss.
    Cheers