Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Callum

Thread: WTB F class type bipod

WTB F class type bipod

Thought id ask on here before I go buying a new expensive one from the states. I am after an F class bipod home made or otherwise that is adjustable for height etc while shooting as I have just brought a FTR rifle

Cheers

ebf
    Callum, the two popular FTR bipods at the moment are the Sinclair one, and the Davies Triggers.

I've shot with both the height adjustable Sinclair and the Davies.

Unless you are going to run into weight issues 8.5 kg full setup, my preference is the Davies.

There is a guy in Hawkes Bay that makes what he calls the "worlds best bipod"... Crazy pricing and I have serious doubts about locking the bipod from a cant point of view.

What rifle did you get ? Good luck with your FTR shooting, it is a lot of fun
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

Cheers for the info mate, I just brought A grunig elmiger 300 meter rifle in 308 with the intention of rebarreling with a longer faster twist barrel but will see how it shoots first.

ebf
    Twist at the moment ?

My first season was with a 1:14, just need to choose projectiles carefully. Lapua Scenar 155 worked for me, goes better with 2206h rather than 2208, started hitting transsonic issues around 800 yards. With 2206h they are a lot more stable, shot that combo out to 1200yds.

Putting on a 30inch 1:10 trueflite tomorrow, got it from a club mate
    Black rifles matter...

Yep its a 1:14 at the moment only 26 inches long, iv got some 155 matchkings to have a play with, iv got 2208 and 2206 so will be sure to give them both a go,
    that's the same barrel I would rebarrel to. having a look at these davies bipods they are cheap enough and look steady as hell. I think ill wait until I get my gun back from getting a custom scope rail made and weight it with the scope on and see how much iv got to play with when I get a bigger barrel

ebf
    PM me your address, I'll send you some Scenars to play with. Problem is you going to have to shoot the tests at 900+ yds to figure out stability...

Nosler Custom Competition are worth trying, and the other one is HBC / Dyer from Aus (2 versions, the Mk 1 is much shorter than Mk2), I dont know anyone using SMK. Or if you want to splurge, Berger makes very cool Palma pils.

The davies comes in 2 flavours, heavy 1.5 kg, and machined out a bit at 1.1 I think.
    Black rifles matter...

Yea that the thing, cheers for that mate that will be bloody awesome. yea I might just get the light weight one, shell be right. im sure if I talk to BRADS nicely I could go shoot them at his range around 900.
    BRADS likes this.

Callum

have a look at the Canadian-made Mystic Precision bipod. The F-TR winner at the world's in Raton recently used one.
    Very light and stable.

I got one for my son's F-TR gun and it's excellent.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    PM me your address, I'll send you some Scenars to play with. Problem is you going to have to shoot the tests at 900+ yds to figure out stability...

Nosler Custom Competition are worth trying, and the other one is HBC / Dyer from Aus (2 versions, the Mk 1 is much shorter than Mk2), I dont know anyone using SMK. Or if you want to splurge, Berger makes very cool Palma pils.

The davies comes in 2 flavours, heavy 1.5 kg, and machined out a bit at 1.1 I think.
    The lads heading to the commonwealth games are using sierras. I'm not sure if they're match kings or specially made for the commonwealth games but they're pretty damn nice with whatever other components they've put into that ammo.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr-Bound View Post
    The lads heading to the commonwealth games are using sierras. I'm not sure if they're match kings or specially made for the commonwealth games but they're pretty damn nice with whatever other components they've put into that ammo.
    I'll send Mike an email and get the details...
    Black rifles matter...

ebf
    Apparently the reason they are using SMK is that this is what will be issued in Glasgow. It is a specific batch, so they were looking for some in NZ to test with it.

Seems like if you shoot compos in the UK (Bisley etc) all competitors are issued ammo, you don't take your own.
    Black rifles matter...

K95
    I'm sure both Mr Snowden and Mr Collins were given some of it to test. John was shooting some at the range a few weeks ago, it was super consistent. A wee but slower than hand loads but single digit sd.

thought id ask here instead of starting a new thread just after an update is there anything more available in nz as far as f class bipods go now thinking of giving it a go cheers nd