Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

WTB Ice Axe/Crampons

Hey guys, looking to buy an ice axe and crampons, so thought i ask on here before buying new.
    Anyone have some sitting in the back of the cupboard that never get used, flick me a PM.

I need crampons to fit a general purpose hunting boot (Size 47 euro) and would prefer a full crampon rather than an instep crampon.

Cheers
    Nick

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I have crampons for ya.
    As new. Never seen snow let alone ice
    $135 + freight
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409995597.688203.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  88.8 KB

Do they flex in the middle and do they fit any boot? They look good, will send you a PM tomorrow.

Yip flex in middle
    Seem to fit anything

You need to ensure your boots are designed for a pneumatic crampon if looking at these Trango - which require a rigid - non flexible sole. The key point is the heel. If you boots do not have a rigid sole, you will need a strap on type flexible walking type crampon.

Post the brand and model of your boots and I'll be able to tell you what crampon is compatible.

If looking at crampons and an ice axe, you need to ensure you get it right.

You can get most crampons to work with any boot but they are not compatible they are not safe.
    In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when conserved by the sportsman. The excellent people who protest against all hunting, and consider sportsmen as enemies of wildlife are wholly ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is by all odds the most important factor in keeping wild creatures from total extinction.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Not quite correct IMO - looking at those crampons they do need a boot with a heel bail to clip onto, but being strap rather than clip at the front and flexing in the middle means they should be fine on a boot with a bit of flex. Just make sure the straps are done up properly and threaded through the toe loop.

I've been using similar style crampons on boots with a bit of toe flex (LaSportiva Makalu) for 10+ years with no issues.

Crampons which clip at both ends do need a fully rigid boot though I agree.

Here are some examples

1- HUNTING - Hanwag Alaska GTX with steel flexible strap on crampons - Grivel G1 crampons
    Crampons - G1 New Classic

2- ALPINE CLIMBING - Lowa Cevedale with steel pneumatic crampons - older Charlet Moser 12 point with toe straps and wire pneumatic heel. Good with ski boots below on vertical ice.

3- SKI TOURING - Scarpa AT Ski boots with full pneumatic crampons - wire toe bail and wire pneumatic heel. These are aluminum and will do anything vertical except blue ice.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  194.7 KB

Views: 574
Size:  220.4 KB

Views: 585
Size:  198.6 KB
    In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when conserved by the sportsman. The excellent people who protest against all hunting, and consider sportsmen as enemies of wildlife are wholly ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is by all odds the most important factor in keeping wild creatures from total extinction.
    Theodore Roosevelt

La Sportiva Makalau

Makalu A classic leather mountaineering boot from La Sportiva

We used a 3.0mm Idro-Perwanger leather upper for classic mountain boot performance and fit.

This is a full steel shank boot that will accept an automatic crampon and kick steps in snow all day without a crampon if needed.

The protective VibramŽ rubber rand adds excellent toe protection and the EZ rollerball hardware makes these boots easy to lace up.

They say full shank and they do have a front bail, but mine (older model) have enough flex in the toe that I don't know if I'd really trust them with a straight clip-on crampon.

Those trangos look hinged in the middle rather than rigid, so I think the OP would be fine if his boots have the bail at the rear - they don't usually put one on a boot that can't handle it.

The Trangos are hinged in the middle

Cheers mate, my boots are Meindl Island MFS Active.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiinSeattle View Post
    You need to ensure your boots are designed for a pneumatic crampon if looking at these Trango - which require a rigid - non flexible sole. The key point is the heel. If you boots do not have a rigid sole, you will need a strap on type flexible walking type crampon.

Post the brand and model of your boots and I'll be able to tell you what crampon is compatible.

If looking at crampons and an ice axe, you need to ensure you get it right.

You can get most crampons to work with any boot but they are not compatible they are not safe.

GravelBen is spot on about the heel welt to hold the pneumatic crampons.

The Meindl Island MFS Active don't have that feature.

Views: 314
Size:  39.4 KB

Views: 538
Size:  50.7 KB

Don't get me wrong, those Meindl Island MFS Active are top of the line boots - I sold some rigid sole climbing boots for something similar (Hanwag Alaska GTX) because they are better suited to the NZ bush - lower South Island.

You will need something like these crampons to work with the Meindl Island MFS Active - this does not apply to all Meindl boots.

Don't be too embarrassed to go for a walk up a grassy hill and test drive your kit before heading up to any alpine areas. It is very easy to trip yourself up with those spikes things on your boots - and check that the straps don't work themselves loose - as can happen with a flexible boot / crampon setup.

Views: 583
Size:  257.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiinSeattle View Post
    Don't get me wrong, those Meindl Island MFS Active are top of the line boots - I sold some rigid sole climbing boots for something similar (Hanwag Alaska GTX) because they are better suited to the NZ bush - lower South Island.

You will need something like these crampons to work with the Meindl Island MFS Active - this does not apply to all Meindl boots.

Don't be too embarrassed to go for a walk up a grassy hill and test drive your kit before heading up to any alpine areas. It
    is very easy to trip yourself up with those spikes things on your boots - and check that the straps don't work themselves loose - as can happen with a flexible boot / crampon setup.

Attachment 28880
    Are your photos upside down because you are in the northern hemisphere?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.