Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: WTB - Kea Gun

  1. #1
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    326

    WTB - Kea Gun

    Anyone know what one would be worth?
    Or have one sitting in their safe they would like to part with.

  2. #2
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,266
    Are they not usually just a sawn off shotgun, probably under legal length?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,941
    I want one too! Check the NZ Antique Arms Auctions, they come up, there's an auction in Palmerston North 6 Sept check on line
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  4. #4
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Are they not usually just a sawn off shotgun, probably under legal length?
    No, not just sawn off.
    Yes under legal length for a rifle so considered a handgun so C endorsement required to own.
    heres some info on em

    on target shooter nz: KEA GUN -Single Barrelled .410" Shotgun-Pistol

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,941
    The antique arms will have an auction in your area at least once a yr, join up and ask the members
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  6. #6
    Member Hunt4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Katikati
    Posts
    624
    Forgive my ignorance, but I hope a "kea gun" is not intended for gunning kea???


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but I hope a "kea gun" is not intended for gunning kea???


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's exactly what they were for Hunt4life.

    My old man had one, it fired a 410 cartridge...... He bloody handed it into the cops during an amnesty in the early 80's

    Cheers
    Pete

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but I hope a "kea gun" is not intended for gunning kea???


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1080 does that these days
    veitnamcam and Hunt4life like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,941
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    That's exactly what they were for Hunt4life.

    My old man had one, it fired a 410 cartridge...... He bloody handed it into the cops during an amnesty in the early
    80's

    Cheers
    Pete
    Bugger! Used to be able to buy them new in the 60s for about $70 I think, I never saw the future in those days, just the skirts!
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  10. #10
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,819
    Had one as a kid. They were plentiful then. Spanish but cannot remember the company. Most common were the short jobbies, less common the full length shotguns. Folded back on themselves so very concealable. Were eventually deemed to be pistols and most of them surrendered. Although 410 a mate and I fired a 303 thru it - the crazy things u do when juvenile and brainless.
    Maca49 likes this.

  11. #11
    Member JoshC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southland/Otago
    Posts
    3,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but I hope a "kea gun" is not intended for gunning kea???


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well they were, hence the name. Keas were a major pest to high country farmers. They're kill sheep by landing on its back and eating their way into the kidneys. At that time, keas were shot on sight -- bounties were even placed on their heads by some farmers.

    But I doubt clickbang wants one for shooting keas now.

    Keep an eye on trademe @clickbang. My mate picked up a really cool one only a few months ago for a couple hundred.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

  12. #12
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Well they were, hence the name. Keas were a major pest to high country farmers. They're kill sheep by landing on its back and eating their way into the kidneys. At that time, keas were shot on sight -- bounties were even placed on their heads by some farmers.

    But I doubt clickbang wants one for shooting keas now.

    Keep an eye on trademe @clickbang. My mate picked up a really cool one only a few months ago for a couple hundred.
    Yep not really into killing keas funilly enough. How did he manage that @JoshC ? I thought as they are considered a handgun would be pretty hard to sell on trademe?

  13. #13
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by clickbang View Post
    Yep not really into killing keas funilly enough. How did he manage that @JoshC ? I thought as they are considered a handgun would be pretty hard to sell on trademe?
    Yeh the 30" rule dealt to the shorter versions decades ago.

  14. #14
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yeh the 30" rule dealt to the shorter versions decades ago.
    Sorry should clear that up, I'm not after the rifle length version.
    Heres what I'm after

    Name:  kea (1).jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  86.9 KB

  15. #15
    Member JoshC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southland/Otago
    Posts
    3,243
    Quote Originally Posted by clickbang View Post
    Yep not really into killing keas funilly enough. How did he manage that @JoshC ? I thought as they are considered a handgun would be pretty hard to sell on trademe?
    It's a bit different to your photo there. I'll try get a photo of it for you.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!