Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: WTB: Modern 6.5x55

WTB: Modern 6.5x55

As title suggests, looking to buy a modern-actioned 6.5x55. I have access to a beautiful European (Heym) and see there are some price-reduced German rifles in Auckland. In discussions with mates, Tikka regularly pops up and opinion appears to favour that brand over Howa. Anything out there? Recommendations appreciated.

I hand load for 2 friends who have a T3 and T3X in 6.5x55 (I have my all matching 1943 M38 Huskie which I reload for too).
    Good thing about the T3 in 6.5 is that you can really seat the projectiles out with the long action mag. No issues about having to single feed with longer than mag length rounds.
    sako75, Gibo, northdude and 2 others like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I think in that calibre you will be only limited by your personal preferences . That is action type, fit, stock etc. I have a zastava which is a modern m98 I like it but is a budget rifle , and the plastic stock is yuk a good wood one would be better and it has the safety on the trigger which I'm not really a fan of prefer a safety the locks the firing pin...... nice to shoot and light to carry.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

I had a Zastava 6.5x55 and it was really accurate and easy to shot. I now have reverted to the M96 Husqvarna.

I have access to new Howa 6.5x55 barrelled actions. Our blued price is OK but we got done on the SS actions and after we paid for them the supplier started retailing SS rifles less than we paid for the actions so we are not compeitive there. A blued barrelled action (Howa long action) are reliable and have a great reputation. As I understand it they are a bit heavier than the Tikka but at $690 they are somewhat less pricy than a Tikka too. I have synthetic stocks fr them here a $199 and might have a laminated one left, but I would have to check.

Another one to watch out for is CZ. I saw a gorgeous CZ for sale a while back that was 6.5x55 in the full wood stock.
    Feral and Ingrid 51 like this.

Many thanks for the info. I have two M96 CG's, one in 'plastic' and the other a mint fully wooded, matching numbers example. Absolutely pristine! Thinking that I 'deserve' one last 6.5 before I peg it, hence the postings. The European fully wooded examples are really classy.

HnF are doing a special where you get a tikka with a reasonable Burris scope for $1600~. Can get it in a 6.5 so if i was in the market for a new package that would probably be my 1st choice or i would buy a Howa and put a much better scope on it. Only thing is weight of rifle for me.
    sako75 and Ingrid 51 like this.

Or shake out Mum's coin purse and get a Schultz and Larsen.
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Many thanks for the info. I have two M96 CG's, one in 'plastic' and the other a mint fully wooded, matching numbers example. Absolutely pristine! Thinking that I 'deserve' one last 6.5 before I peg it, hence the postings. The European fully wooded examples are really classy.
    I did the same last year got a tikka with game reaper mount I don't regret it
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Big or small 6.5 drops em all.
    I have a T3 6.5x55 for sale and all the reloading gear that goes with it. It has a s/s threaded 20" barrel is super accurate and loves the 140amax Pm me if you are interested in details it will go for under a grand
    Shearer and Ingrid 51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon6555 View Post
    I have a T3 6.5x55 for sale and all the reloading gear that goes with it. It has a s/s threaded 20" barrel is super accurate and loves the 140amax Pm me if you are interested in details it will go for under a grand
    Right there.
    In my opinion a rifle like this offers more in terms of scope (excuse the pun), can load to optimum pressures and already threaded also is it's quite standard that these rifles shoot accurate enough to harvest a moose at 100 paces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marty Henry likes this.
    Dan M

PM sent

That sounds a good deal

For the info of contributors to this thread, the options/offers to date are listed. I will have a decision made towards the end of this coming week. Options are: Two forum members have offered 'low-count' Tikkas for similar prices; one with extras. I have access to a German 'Heym' but would need to put there slide-and-lock type mounts (rifle $2.5k approx). On offer from a different source is a mint Schultz and Larsen needing optics ($2200). Finally, H&F have their special deal for the $1700 mark. I appreciate the time and efforts forum members have made to help out here. Thanks.
    Danny, Tommy and WallyR like this.

Chainsaw has a Heym in 7x64 and it's fantastic. The woodwork is to be seen to be believed! For that money I'd go the Heym over the others
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

I have a S&L Classic in 6.5x55. Bought it new about 15 years ago.

All I can say is that it has met every exception. It shoots everything I feed it under moa and mainly sits around .5. Not stainless, but doesn't rust. Good trigger. Bolt as smooth as a hydraulic piston. Has never let me down. I would never part with it.

Only negatives are that there is no half cock and the wood is a bit plain and soft (beech I think).

Name:  IMG_0134.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  1.10 MB
    jakewire, Woody, trooper90 and 2 others like this.