Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: WTB Pack for Hunting

WTB Pack for Hunting

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a pack as I am keen to do some longer stints hunting in the bush.
    If say im doing a 3 day stint what litre pack would be sufficient and once this is establisged who's selling any?

I got a good Kathmandu on from a outlet store its a little big but not sure of litre but strong water proof and blooy cumfy even after a few days

Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    I got a good Kathmandu on from a outlet store its a little big but not sure of litre but strong water proof and blooy cumfy even after a few days
    Cheers Samba. Im looking at a Macpac at the mo but not sure if its big enough or if they have a ggod rep?

Torlesse 65 | Trek | Packs | Macpac
    This one looks sweet but not sure if 65L is enough

Gibo
    I normally run with a 75lt for over 2 day stints, I have loaded 5 days worth of gear in to it and then brought deer out fully loaded. One Planet packs are very good and i run a 50lt macpac pursuit for 2 days stuff. They were on sale on macpac site the other day. 65lt would be fine but the extra 10 lt makes life a bit easier when you need to fill it right up.
    I had mine last year full with gear and deer at 30 kg near broke me walking out but the one planet handed it sweet as.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Cheers Samba. Im looking at a Macpac at the mo but not sure if its big enough or if they have a ggod rep?

Torlesse 65 | Trek | Packs | Macpac
    This one looks sweet but not sure if 65L is enough
    Just my 2c....if your going out for a few nights, id suggest an 85 ltr, you will get everything you need into it, and a few luxury items too, you more of less pack the same for 1 night or 3....

there will also be enough 'attachment points' to tie extras onto the outside, after setting up camp you can pull in the side compression straps and make it into a 'day pack' with your essentials....

every one will have their own preference, ive been tramping/mountaineering for over 30 years and this 'large as' backpack preference has been a complete winner for me.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Buy once cry once. My Macpac will be replaced by a Cactus pack next summer. Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Just my 2c....if your going out for a few nights, id suggest an 85 ltr, you will get everything you need into it, and a few luxury items too, you more of less pack the same for 1 night or 3....

there will also be enough 'attachment points' to tie extras onto the outside, after setting up camp you can pull in the side compression straps and make it into a 'day pack' with your essentials....

every one will have their own preference, ive been tramping/mountaineering for over 30 years and this 'large as' backpack preference has been a complete winner for me.....
    Just the info I was after thanks Scouser! I will concider that point when I go and try some on after work to get some sort of gauge.
    But if you are still coming on the Rusa hunt it does sound like I could get a smaller one and top yours up!!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Gotta totally disagree with that one. The bigger the pack the more shit you carry plain and simple. For a 3 day hunting trip if you can't do it in a 65L you're doing it wrong.
    Tying stuff to the pack too? Not in NZ bush (unless it's got timber and then it sucks big time but you don't care).
    Wirehunt and veitnamcam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Buy once cry once. My Macpac will be replaced by a Cactus pack next summer. Hector
    Cool but bit steep in price. Wont be used heaps so may comprimise for my first pack.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Gotta totally disagree with that one. The bigger the pack the more shit you carry plain and simple. For a 3 day hunting trip if you can't do it in a 65L you're doing it wrong.
    Tying stuff to the pack too? Not in NZ bush (unless it's got timber and then it sucks big time but you don't care).
    I will see what 65L is like this arvo. I know what I want to take so should be able to weigh it up.

Looks a good price , and not sure why but it say 65- 70 ltr . It's been asked before you may find thread on here somewhere, probably 6 or 8 mts ago , . Pretty sure cosences was 60 to 70 lts is ample . Mine is 65 lts and is fine 3 nights easy . Then small enough to use as day pack when you make fly camp , just pull all compression straps tight and tie them from flapping ,
    Gibo likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Looks a good price , and not sure why but it say 65- 70 ltr . It's been asked before you may find thread on here somewhere, probably 6 or 8 mts ago , . Pretty sure cosences was 60 to 70 lts is ample . Mine is 65 lts and is fine 3 nights easy . Then small enough to use as day pack when you make fly camp , just pull all compression straps tight and tie them from flapping ,
    Thanks Munsey good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Get the biggest pack you can, then learn to minimise what you take based on what you need rather than by having a small pack.

All modern packs can be downsized with the external straps, but you can't expand a 75 liter pack to 100 litres to put your venison in it.

Cactus is the only way to go for NZ, tough enough to last for ever and made for the bush, not for a track. Any pack is comfortable once you are used to it, but a super comfortable track pack is no fun once the ultra light fabrics start falling apart. Also all those adjustments have a tendency to come loose when wet or catching on vines and branches etc and can be a real pain.

Can't beat a simple harness with a tailor made back length and good heavy indestructible fabric for the NZ bush.
    Cheers Tussock. Will concider this also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Just the info I was after thanks Scouser! I will concider that point when I go and try some on after work to get some sort of gauge.
    But if you are still coming on the Rusa hunt it does sound like I could get a smaller one and top yours up!!
    But if you are still coming on the Rusa hunt it does sound like I could get a smaller one and top yours up!!'....cheeky bugger, mines full and i havent even packed it yet.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

But if you are still coming on the Rusa hunt it does sound like I could get a smaller one and top yours up!!'....cheeky bugger, mines full and i havent even packed it yet.....
    Ha Ha was waiting for you to find that one!

Ejected
    K2 Hunter. Great pack and is rifle friendly.
    Buy the big one, carry too much shit, then work out what you really need.