Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By kiwijames
  • 2 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By von tempsky fan

Thread: WTB: Scope L/R shooting

WTB: Scope L/R shooting

Hey Chaps,

Wanted to buy a scope to suit 7mm rem mag, must dial up and have zero stop.

Many thanks.

what's your budget?

around $1000 depending

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben2015 View Post
    around $1000 depending
    Your budget could be a little ambitious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Blaser, Tikka7mm08, mikee and 2 others like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

ebf
    Just about any scope can be made to have a physical zero stop using Burris Signature Zee rings and inserts.

And pretty much every scope can "dial-up", so you might want to use some other criteria for selection.

What distances do you consider long range ? This will give you the elevation range required.

What type of targets are you going to be shooting at ? Not that hard to see a 2moa sized target even at 1000yds using 10 power...

Will you be shooting close in (bush hunting) with same setup ? That will require a scope with reasonable low magnification ?

Vortex 4-16 PST would be a good all round option.

Clearidge XP5 4-22 is excellent value for money.

If it is LR only and you don't need low magnification, then 2nd hand Sightron s3 6-24 will be good.

You don't need a $3000 scope to start shooting long range...
    von tempsky fan and GWH like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

you might want to keep an eye out for a 2ND hand sightron , it doesn't have zero stop but it's a good solid reliable choice.
    Savage1 likes this.

I've got an Elite 6500 4.5-30x mildot... but it is capped turrets and no zero-stop.

also mil or moa? mag range?

GWH
    ebf gave good advice i reckon.

The most important feature to enable you to reliably 'dial' a scope is its repeat-ability of adjustment and ability to return to your zero. There are a few scopes around that have a good reputation of doing this, without costing a fortune.

I use a Weaver SuperSlam 3-15x42 on my longer range rifle. It has popup target type turrets, and seems to be nice and repeatable and is working well. Quite a few forum members have these, as there was a big special on them in the US over the last few years. I believe the Grandslams also dial well too.

I also have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 on my 260 rem, which is a bit of a dual purpose bush rifle with the ability to stretch it out to clearings or slips etc when needed. Testing the diamondback while shooting gongs it dials very well indeed, and has a reasonable turret nob (capped) to turn with your fingers, and its marked in 1/4 moa, and the windage turret is marked in 1/4 moa scale left and right which is helpful. I purchased the Diamondback after reading reviews that they did dial well, i got the BDC reticle just in case it didnt prove to dial that well, but it does so was happy as. I've actually just grabbed another one to put on another rifle.

Neither of these two options have zero stop, but i don't really see the major need for it anyway. I figure that im never going to turn the turret more than once anyway, as 14 moa gets you out a very long way.

You should be able to pick up a Vortex Viper as ebf says, within your budget - These are a step up from the Diamondback.

The Sightron scopes also have a very good rep.

Sorry guys I should have been more specific but thanks for the advice. I'm actually after something that is capable of 500m plus with target turrets and a zero stop being a part of my criteria. Just thought someone might have something along those lines after an upgrade. Sounds like Vortex or sightron it is.