Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By berg243

Thread: wtb single shot 38 / 357 mag rifle.

wtb single shot 38 / 357 mag rifle.

looking for a single shot 38 rifle for homekill purposes.something I can get cut down and suppressed to use with 38 special subs.also looking for an optic something with low or no magnification for rifle as well.

I didn't have much luck shooting cows with a 40 s&w. They just starred at me bit confused. It's odd how a .22 rimfire drops them so well.

22 sub in the right spot they drop clean a good mate is a pro homekill bucher and ive seen him shoot 100’s of cows with a 22 sub from his 10/22

He is against larger cals as he reckons you get complacent with shot placement and it spooks the rest of the herd

But I can suggest a rossi single shot they are pretty good i had one for a bit
    A 0 mag red dot would be a perfect optic

Most homekill guys Ive met seem to use 22 magnums some with a supressor or a 22.

Agree completely about the 22 in the right place.
    Not the best but I helped a mate do home kills with a shotgun years ago.
    I did about 6 or so with him and he did a lot more than that. He'd had the odd 22 kill go wrong and he only had bigger centerfires which could stuff things up if they travelled too much. Don't remember any being done in a crush but in a yard where you could get the tractor
    Aimed straight on at that curly tuft right in the middle of the forehead between ears and eyes. not much more than 5-6 meters away. The pellets hadn't spread but didn't go any further than the brain.
    I will also say that some of the first ones he dispatched were a bit wild and in rough blocks not yards so that would've tainted his opinion. Ex culler and was still getting deer so shot placement not usually a problem-that's not the reason he went away from 22's.

have some half mad hokonui merinos that wont go into shed to shear and need some more oomph than a 22.as far as a 22 goes they are great till you have a failure then having to chase cattle beasts round 4 farms after failure to kill only to antagonise them we swapped to 12 gauge with 4 shot much better but not good for sheep. 38 or 357 mag should be enough to give the option of in behind the ear if cant get a good frontal shot.
    csmiffy likes this.

I shoot all our dog tucker rams with a 223 in a small holding paddock. Don't have a decent home kill set up. All go down one shoot. Also use it in the paddock for putting down cattle. Means you dont have to get them in to yards and don't have to be to close.

have a bad neighbour that we don't get on with and wanted something with reasonable weight projectile that was subsonic with a good suppressor other wise would use 243.

Berg243- That is the exact same situation that made my mate go down a slightly bigger route-his main rifle was a 270 and just did too much damage unless right on the button and then you could only shoot from the side as it could stuff up meat when it exited-good point about the sheep-from memory I helped him with the odd sheep and pig but they were usually done right on the edge of the yard and in pretty controlled circumstances so only 22's used from memory. Ok once we used a rifle slug on a pig once but that was for purely scientific reasons.
    Obviously after reading his first post properly, shotgun/centerfires rifles no good for this guy as he wants something really quiet-heaps of rossi's around that would work

Fair enough. have use the 38/357 lever action on cattle. works a treat

What happened when the guy up north who shot a steer with a .303 and wounded a young guy sitting on the fence?
    I have shot bulls with a 30-06, close bit low and it didn't stop him, amazing how fast you can work a bolt under pressure. I have chased a steer around the farm because the home kill guy with a 308 shot low, no one was impressed.
    My Grandfather went to shoot a steer for the house with his 303, all my father remembers is a cloud of mason bees and rust and the house cow standing behind, dropping like a stone. I use an opened sight .22 and never have a problem, just remember the brain is higher and even a 180 grain in a 30-06 won't stop them if it's low.

I remember reading about a woman in the states who was left in a trailer park with her children while her husband looked for work. The drunk next door tried to break in, she was terrified, all she had was a little Beretta semi pistol in .22 short. When the door finally fell over, she squeezed the trigger and emptied the magazine into his chest, the son said ,"all I can remember is the guy lying on the floor telling him to get an ambulance, fast".